Gay Marriage in Scotland

Started by Applesisapples, July 17, 2012, 12:38:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Applesisapples

So Cardinal Kieth O'Brien is incensed by the thought of Gay Marriage and feels it needs a referendum. It's a pity he didn't feel so incensed by the actions of Brother Bishops in Ireland. The Catholic Clergy does not have the moral authority to speak on this issue. Most catholics have no issue with Gay marriage or civil partnership, although perhaps not in their church. Gay Marriage does not necessarily need to be in church so why say no. If other Churches want to marry Gay Christians thats up to them.

Niall Quinn

Gay marriage in Scotland is often just an honest mistake.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

optimus cheese

Something I was thinking in all of this. What if it's a bi marriage? Can a man/woman marry both a woman and man as is their human right or is that bigamy under the law? Or what if a bi man married to another dude shags a woman, does the other man have a right to divorce as he was cheated on but as the other lad swings both ways then is it not his human right to tear on?

EC Unique

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 17, 2012, 12:38:06 PM
So Cardinal Kieth O'Brien is incensed by the thought of Gay Marriage and feels it needs a referendum. It's a pity he didn't feel so incensed by the actions of Brother Bishops in Ireland. The Catholic Clergy does not have the moral authority to speak on this issue. Most catholics have no issue with Gay marriage or civil partnership, although perhaps not in their church. Gay Marriage does not necessarily need to be in church so why say no. If other Churches want to marry Gay Christians thats up to them.

Legally it is not as simple as that. If gay marriage is passed then gay coulpe might be able to force churches to proceed or be taken to court under equal rights issues.

There is no legal difference in civil partnership and marriage so I don't really see the point to forcing religious groups into this.

johnneycool

Quote from: EC Unique on July 17, 2012, 01:39:17 PM

Legally it is not as simple as that. If gay marriage is passed then gay coulpe might be able to force churches to proceed or be taken to court under equal rights issues.

There is no legal difference in civil partnership and marriage so I don't really see the point to forcing religious groups into this.

Is there a legal obligation on any church to marry any couple?

If I never darken the church door from one end of the year to the next, have I any right to get married in it?

The Iceman

I think your statement needs to be clarified Applesisapples.

Most non-practicing or pick and mix Catholics have no problem with Gay Marriage.

All fully subscribing Catholics do have a problem with Gay Marriage.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Applesisapples

Quote from: The Iceman on July 17, 2012, 02:08:14 PM

Most non-practicing or pick and mix Catholics have no problem with Gay Marriage.
That would be a majority then

LeoMc

Quote from: Niall Quinn on July 17, 2012, 01:04:38 PM
Gay marriage in Scotland is often just an honest mistake.

This should be included with the 4.2.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Applesisapples on July 17, 2012, 03:26:39 PM
So Cardinal Kieth O'Brien is incensed by the thought of Gay Marriage and feels it needs a referendum. It's a pity he didn't feel so incensed by the actions of Brother Bishops in Ireland. The Catholic Clergy does not have the moral authority to speak on this issue. Most catholics have no issue with Gay marriage or civil partnership, although perhaps not in their church. Gay Marriage does not necessarily need to be in church so why say no. If other Churches want to marry Gay Christians that's up to them.

Most nonpracticing or pick and mix Catholics have no problem with Gay Marriage.
That would be a majority then

I would contend that there "fully subscribing Catholics" if they exist are in a tiny minority...by you definition dissent from church teaching on any issue means you are not fully subscribing...birth control, sex outside of wedlock etc...I am reminded of the old "let he who is without sin" parable.

Gazzler

Iceman what would you do if one of your sons came out as Gay?
Would you try and cure him?

Eamonnca1

Assuming you're one of these "fully subscribing" catholics, do you eschew the use of contraception? Just curious.

The Iceman

This isn't about putting me on the stand. There is Catholic by Religion and unfortunately Catholic by Culture.
the people who are all for Gay Marriage are Catholic by Culture - just like the boys who throw stones at the prods are Cal'lick

For answers to questions go to the Catechism. Not individuals who haven't been to Church since the last funeral.......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Gazzler

My question had nothing to dO with the Church.
Would you like it if your son came out as Gay? Would you disown him?

The Iceman

Quote from: Gazzler on July 17, 2012, 07:05:40 PM
My question had nothing to dO with the Church.
Would you like it if your son came out as Gay? Would you disown him?
Yes I'd have him stoned.

My response was to Eamonn, sorry I didn't clarify that Gazzler. I didn't really pay attention to your question.

I would not disown my Son - no matter what he did. Now like I said, if you want any answers then read the Catechism.

haranguerer

Quote from: The Iceman on July 17, 2012, 07:03:27 PM
This isn't about putting me on the stand. There is Catholic by Religion and unfortunately Catholic by Culture.
the people who are all for Gay Marriage are Catholic by Culture - just like the boys who throw stones at the prods are Cal'lick

For answers to questions go to the Catechism. Not individuals who haven't been to Church since the last funeral.......

Ffs - hes completely right, typical shite, a bunch of idiots cry 'Witch'!!

It was a ridiculous statement for apples to make that most catholics dont have a problem with it, when its completey against their teaching!