Michael "Ducksie" Walshe R.I.P.

Started by mrhardyannual, August 04, 2016, 05:08:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

So sad to see the report on RTE. If ever the term "legend" was to be properly applied, this would be the case. Unbeatable in his prime.

"Legendary Kilkenny handballer Michael 'Ducksie' Walsh has died at the age of 50.
The Kilkenny man died this afternoon in hospital surrounded by family and friends after a short illness.
During a star-studded career, Walsh won 16 All-Ireland 60x30 senior singles titles and seven All-Ireland 40x20 senior singles titles and in total amassed 38 senior wins.
Up to very recently, Walsh was still competing and in March reached the All Ireland Masters A Singles final"

Ar Dheis Dé go raibh sé"

winghalfback

A name I grew up hearing about a legend in his own right. Gone to young . Mary queen of the Gael pray for him.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Big Alley

38 All-Ireland titles at fifty years of age and there were so many more to come.  A legend, one of the best ever handballers, and a gentleman to boot.  RIP Ducksy, we'll not see your likes again.

Syferus

The father was a handy handballer in his day and always talks about the days Ducksie and DJ Carey were down playing in Lisacul. Some legend.

longballin

A great fellow and is so sad to see him go so young. A legend for sure. RIP Ducksy

The Iceman

couldn't believe this when I read it this morning - i haven't kept much of an eye on the handball scene since I left 10 years ago - what happened with him?
he was a real hero growing up. I was never any good, played Ulster colleges and club stuff and Ducksie was the only name mentioned when someone asked who the best was.....RIP
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

omaghjoe

Terrible news, by all accounts a great handballer. RIP

Itchy

AZOffaly

RIP, Sad news. An Iconic name for even those of us who know very little about handball.

orangeman

Crazy to think that this man is gone at such a young age, still winning titles recently. Still difficult to take in that he won't be ruling the courts again. Such a sad and untimely loss to the Gaa, family and many, many friends.

RIP.

brokencrossbar1

I used to love watching the coverage of the handball on a Saturday afternoon on RTE. We played it all the time during the summers on the outdoor alleys round here and it's still very popular. Funny I was talking to a boy a few weeks back about DJ and Ducksie and how good Ducksie was. Far too young, God rest his soul.