East Belfast GAA

Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardtole

I think St Paul's gets players from the Hollywood and Bangor direction more so than Belfast.

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2020, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 03, 2020, 03:55:47 PM
Bredagh and carryduff are still Down hurling.

Antrim leagues now have derry, tyrone and down teams in them. I'm not sure about any other counties? (Armagh haven't any in it do they?)

It's more like an ulster league so it's where they play championship that counts.

I'd look at it slightly different, yes Championship is the main finish to the year, but the likes of Carryduff/Bredagh and the Derry/Tyrone lads are getting a healthy standard of hurling, as Ballycran/Ballygalget/Portaferry can testify too...

Should the likes of Carryduff and Bredagh get through the leauges to div2 then the Down teams would be in a much more healthier position.

on the East Belfast team, will that cut into the Holywood team St Paul's?

Yeah I would agree but technically they are down is all I am saying. Their standard will have improved greatly and the ards teams would only be having matches among themselves and hammering other teams and the matches among themselves would likely be hatchet jobs they'd play that much and that many grudges would be built up.

The most interesting one to me is Eoghan Rua who look like they'll be in division one very soon at current rate.

Anyway sorry off topic...

This is interesting. I hope it's not a political stunt. I think to some degree there has to be some respect that it's Irish culture but there could be a halfway house somewhere to get more protestants playing if there are things putting them off.

michaelg

How many Protestants are currently playing Gaelic Games in NI at present?

Kidder81

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2020, 01:49:18 PM
Quote from: MoChara on June 03, 2020, 12:00:47 PM
Linda Ervine on Frank Mitchel explaining how the GAA will have to get rid of the tri-colour et all

She does my head in tbh agus is gaeilgeoir mé, wrapped up some amount of Foras na Gaeilge funding

There must be a bit of dough in it if Linda Ervine will be president

general_lee

Quote from: michaelg on June 03, 2020, 04:50:16 PM
How many Protestants are currently playing Gaelic Games in NI at present?
not very many I'd imagine but they're out there. I know of a few in Armagh, Wylie brothers in Monaghan would be notable. Not sure about other counties, not like it's something that's ever discussed

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Kidder81 on June 03, 2020, 04:57:20 PM
Linda Ervine on Frank Mitchel explaining how the GAA will have to get rid of the tri-colour et all

She does my head in tbh agus is gaeilgeoir mé, wrapped up some amount of Foras na Gaeilge funding

Yeah. She will be giving talks . 30 quid an hour.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 03, 2020, 04:26:46 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2020, 04:09:29 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 03, 2020, 03:55:47 PM
Bredagh and carryduff are still Down hurling.

Antrim leagues now have derry, tyrone and down teams in them. I'm not sure about any other counties? (Armagh haven't any in it do they?)

It's more like an ulster league so it's where they play championship that counts.

I'd look at it slightly different, yes Championship is the main finish to the year, but the likes of Carryduff/Bredagh and the Derry/Tyrone lads are getting a healthy standard of hurling, as Ballycran/Ballygalget/Portaferry can testify too...

Should the likes of Carryduff and Bredagh get through the leauges to div2 then the Down teams would be in a much more healthier position.

on the East Belfast team, will that cut into the Holywood team St Paul's?

Yeah I would agree but technically they are down is all I am saying. Their standard will have improved greatly and the ards teams would only be having matches among themselves and hammering other teams and the matches among themselves would likely be hatchet jobs they'd play that much and that many grudges would be built up.

The most interesting one to me is Eoghan Rua who look like they'll be in division one very soon at current rate.

Anyway sorry off topic...

This is interesting. I hope it's not a political stunt. I think to some degree there has to be some respect that it's Irish culture but there could be a halfway house somewhere to get more protestants playing if there are things putting them off.

I would concur with that. If we stopped flying the national flag and playing the anthem at Ulster Championship games would we really notice much of a difference? If small gestures like that got more Protestants playing the games then I'd be all in favour of it.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2020, 05:14:40 PM

Well it's hard to imagine an initiative like this without some begrudgery attached to it.

I've always been fascinated by the progressive wing of unionism. It's a lot more reasonable than the not-an-inch crowd, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on June 03, 2020, 05:16:30 PM
Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 03, 2020, 05:14:40 PM

Well it's hard to imagine an initiative like this without some begrudgery attached to it.

I've always been fascinated by the progressive wing of unionism. It's a lot more reasonable than the not-an-inch crowd, so I'd give it the benefit of the doubt.

It's not begrudging. She is jumping ahead on all her funding applications simply because she is a unionist. This was even when she had zero Irish . Other groups providing tonnes of classes etc lost out, she won't give a talk either without "facilitator fees'.

omaghjoe

County aside whats the deal with Bredagh and St Malachy's

Is it a class divide at the heart of it?

nearlymad

If she is to be the President of this new Club,she'll have to abide by it's rules.Make your choice Linda, as we'll not be changing the rules to facilitate her new pastime and PR stunt.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 03, 2020, 05:33:28 PM

Different parish I'd assume
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

nearlymad

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 03, 2020, 06:11:32 PM

Different parish I'd assume
And a different County.Something akin to Strabane Sigerson's and Lifford Naomh Padraig's

imtommygunn

They're different catchment areas that just happen to both play on the same council pitches. I am not even sure if there is a specific bredagh parish. It would be Rosetta and whatever the one at the top of the ormeau road is. I *think* there is a st malachys parish though could be wrong.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

And another thing I'd be really unhappy about would be to see this become a GAA vanity project. Bit like the American bullshit. Get the funding into us up here where there is real potential fur growth. By all means let them grow, but the Linda Irvine thing seems calculated