smelmoth

What is the hostility towards Peter?

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: DuffleKing on May 11, 2017, 09:48:27 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 11, 2017, 12:42:11 PM
Quote from: PAULD123 on May 11, 2017, 11:59:35 AM

he is no Messiah, but he is not a criminal either

He's a very naughty boy though!!!

The big concern I have with Geezer is not just him but the whole management structure. There is ongoing work with levels of mediocrity that will hold the county back. There is talent in Armagh, some really serious talent but there is no one at the helm or close to it who has any knowledge or experience of managing a team to real success. What is needed to be a good player is vastly different to what is needed to be a good manager. As it stands the county risks wasting another generation of talent like they have over the last 20 years because they do not have the right people and structures in place.

There could be some truth in what you say but then the solution to what you query maybe doesn't lie in cross. The word you left out was "county" success. The difference now between club and county football has never been more pronounced and if your logic is to be applied, Armagh need to head hunt Malachy O'Rourke, Jim McGuinness or Mickey Harte.

Is it possible that what armagh lack is a a Donal murtagh, Packie mcconville or Gareth O'Neill influencing teams and player development? Tim Gregory maybe?

If there was any indication that this would translate into immediate or medium term success we could all embrace it, however the evidence really isn't there.

For example, the hostility previously and ongoing emanating from some parts of the county against Peter McDonnell is startling when you consider that he has won county and provincial club titles as well as bringing all Ireland U21 and Ulster senior titles to armagh.

You're right but the reality is that there are limited amounts of successful internet county managers that are available. The county is at a low base and to my mind the step up from strong club set ups to improving a division 3 team is not a huge one.

I also agree with you that the ire shown to Peter McDonnell when he was manager was wrong and from what I heard it was very deliberate and driven by a few individuals within the county set up which in turn had a big influence on a wider scale.

Taylor

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 11, 2017, 11:06:25 PM

The big concern I have with Geezer is not just him but the whole management structure. There is ongoing work with levels of mediocrity that will hold the county back. There is talent in Armagh, some really serious talent but there is no one at the helm or close to it who has any knowledge or experience of managing a team to real success. What is needed to be a good player is vastly different to what is needed to be a good manager. As it stands the county risks wasting another generation of talent like they have over the last 20 years because they do not have the right people and structures in place.

There could be some truth in what you say but then the solution to what you query maybe doesn't lie in cross. The word you left out was "county" success. The difference now between club and county football has never been more pronounced and if your logic is to be applied, Armagh need to head hunt Malachy O'Rourke, Jim McGuinness or Mickey Harte.

Is it possible that what armagh lack is a a Donal murtagh, Packie mcconville or Gareth O'Neill influencing teams and player development? Tim Gregory maybe?

If there was any indication that this would translate into immediate or medium term success we could all embrace it, however the evidence really isn't there.

For example, the hostility previously and ongoing emanating from some parts of the county against Peter McDonnell is startling when you consider that he has won county and provincial club titles as well as bringing all Ireland U21 and Ulster senior titles to armagh.

You're right but the reality is that there are limited amounts of successful internet county managers that are available. The county is at a low base and to my mind the step up from strong club set ups to improving a division 3 team is not a huge one.

I also agree with you that the ire shown to Peter McDonnell when he was manager was wrong and from what I heard it was very deliberate and driven by a few individuals within the county set up which in turn had a big influence on a wider scale.

It is a huge step up. Make no mistake.

While Cross are a credit to say it is not a big step up to county level is way off the mark.
Perhaps Division 4 teams like London etc are like Cross but Div 3 teams is miles apart from a club team

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Taylor on May 12, 2017, 09:52:26 AM

While Cross are a credit to say it is not a big step up to county level is way off the mark.
Perhaps Division 4 teams like London etc are like Cross but Div 3 teams is miles apart from a club team

If the same resources were to be spent on a top club setup like Cross that are ploughed into any Div 3 county team then the club side would have been promoted from Div3.

DuffleKing

stew

Quote from: Taylor on May 12, 2017, 09:52:26 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on May 11, 2017, 11:06:25 PM

I used to admire Cross, when abroad I would pay to watch their AI runs and root for them, no more, having seen their act when getting it tight a few times over the past year I have no time for them, they try and bully, they goad and are arrogant to the extre,e to the point if they played Burren I would rather the Down club won.

I do admire what they have done but not for who they are on the field, they are an unreal outfit, I just watched them demolish the Ogs, but you couldnt like them if you reared them based on what I have seen of them in the three games I watched them play the Harps and Ogs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Owen Brannigan

And so it rolls on as Joe Brolly is brought in to defend an Antrim player...............

Why Saffrons won't take a hit

Big ban: Antrim's Matthew Fitzpatrick has been given a heavy suspension
By Declan Bogue
May 17 2017

A little bit of hard news for you at the top of the column; Antrim will be appealing Matthew Fitzpatrick's suspension, having lodged the appeal on Tuesday night.

The man heading it up, will be no less than...drum roll here... Joe Brolly! An intriguing case just went nuclear.

Let's rewind and recap how we got here. At first, a grainy still image of a player was sent to Antrim, who were asked to identify a player involved in an off-the-ball incident against Armagh. A member of the team management and a member of the county board thought it was a player alright, but not Matthew Fitzpatrick.

On the basis that no-one could offer a certain identification, Fitzpatrick won his appeal.

The Central Competitions Control Committee then acquired a short video clip and asked Antrim to identify the player. A county board officer did so. Again it was not clear, with the players' face and number obscured so Fitzpatrick won his second appeal.

On Monday night, the CHC requested Fitzpatrick for a third meeting. This time they had a much longer clip. They froze the clip at one point and asked Fitzpatrick if he was the player identified. When he confirmed, they laid a charge against him of 'misleading an investigation'.

The length of time of the ban changed, because the charge changed. From striking, to misleading an investigation.

Of course, it will not stick. Antrim are pursuing their case through another layer of GAA bureaucracy with the Central Appeals Committee and are enlisting the help of the legal profession.

At best, it could be thrown out. Antrim are clinging to the stipulation that a video clip, edited in any way, cannot be used in evidence. At worst, Fitzpatrick's suspension would be at least halved.

The odd thing is that Antrim are now being punished off the back of evidence provided by Armagh, in an effort to clear one of their own players.

As joint-manager Gearoid Adams said on Monday night: "The fact they have another DVD of it, which apparently is different from the last one, shows that there is some sort of an agenda.

"If you look at Fitzy's, he was actually hit first in the evidence. So are they going to do the guy who hit Fitzy?

"What does it take for Croke Park or the GAA to go after Matthew Fitzpatrick?"

Adams is intimately familiar with Fitzpatrick, having coached him from he was under-16 at their club, St John's.

To his mind, he can barely recall the forward picking up a yellow card in his career, let alone a red.

What seems clear at this point is that Fitzpatrick did transgress. Let's not forget that. But the GAA culture is not to accept punishments.

It's not the populist thing to say, but when you take this case in isolation, digest the fact that the GAA are going to take a dim view of misleading evidence, then you cannot logically disagree with some form of punishment although the length is ridiculous.

Hold it up against the light of various cases down through the years however and the GAA look as if they are making it up as they go along.

In 2015, Armagh and Dublin played a challenge match that 'got a bit tasty'. Dublin defender Davey Byrne ended up hospitalised overnight with facial injuries.

The GAA asked for video evidence of the match, and neither county provided it. In an age where every training session is recorded on video, we were expected to believe that two of the most resourced, professional teams did not have a video man.

Neither county released names of those involved. Nobody was suspended. There was a significant fine, reduced to a less significant fine on appeal.

And then there was the time Diarmuid Connolly was recorded on video punching Lee Keegan in the 2015 All-Ireland semi-final. He received a red card, but escaped the suspension after Dublin had the means and the expertise to bring it to the Disputes Resolution Authority, prising open a loophole big enough to squeeze through.

This is how it works, in the two-tier GAA justice system.

Say it ain't so, Joe.

Belfast Telegraph

Throw ball

Without naming the player involved I thought the Armagh player involved in the Davey Byrne incident got a ban later in that year. As he was injured it had no effect though.

Rufus T Firefly

The disciplinary process / procedures essentially need to be ripped up and a fresh start made. This is but one example of justice not being served. I was at the match and there was an Antrim player who appeared to momentarily lose all self control and was willing to wreck anything - not in an Antrim jersey - that moved. I'm open to correction, but no Antrim player has been suspended as a result of that particular rampage incident. And that's not to have a go at Antrim, because this is simply the latest in a long, long line of issues. 

I would suggest that any new system would need to have a very straightforward / simple appeals process and that the appeals decision was final, and that all participants, by virtue of the fact they were playing our games, had signed up to an understanding along those lines.

I'm reminded of the quiz master who at the outset lays down the law - "The quizmaster is always right, even when he's wrong!"

Might actually help instill a bit of discipline into our games! Stranger things have happened!!  ::)

ck

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 18, 2017, 02:16:52 PM
The disciplinary process / procedures essentially need to be ripped up and a fresh start made. This is but one example of justice not being served. I was at the match and there was an Antrim player who appeared to momentarily lose all self control and was willing to wreck anything - not in an Antrim jersey - that moved. I'm open to correction, but no Antrim player has been suspended as a result of that particular rampage incident. And that's not to have a go at Antrim, because this is simply the latest in a long, long line of issues. 

I would suggest that any new system would need to have a very straightforward / simple appeals process and that the appeals decision was final, and that all participants, by virtue of the fact they were playing our games, had signed up to an understanding along those lines.

I'm reminded of the quiz master who at the outset lays down the law - "The quizmaster is always right, even when he's wrong!"

Might actually help instill a bit of discipline into our games! Stranger things have happened!!  ::)

Discipline in our games starts with respect of officials. Some of the tripe on this thread alone against match officials would suggest the average GAA supporter is an ignorant caveman with no manners. McGeeney threatening to cut the hands off an official underlines our problem. Some people think this is just fun and part of the game, I just think it's precisely the problem and a 12 week ban to McGeeney is the correct response to his thuggery.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ck on May 18, 2017, 02:52:40 PM
Discipline in our games starts with respect of officials. Some of the tripe on this thread alone against match officials would suggest the average GAA supporter is an ignorant caveman with no manners. McGeeney threatening to cut the hands off an official underlines our problem. Some people think this is just fun and part of the game, I just think it's precisely the problem and a 12 week ban to McGeeney is the correct response to his thuggery.

Good grief.  ::)

The incident I referred to, and which you quoted, included the referee being hit on the back with a football thrown at him by an Antrim player. Having looked through this thread it appears that I was mistaken in my belief that the player in question was not punished. AFS indicated in an earlier post that the player actually received a one match ban and it was not Fitzpatrick.

We thus have a disciplinary process whereby a referee was assaulted and the player who committed the assault received a one match ban whilst Fitzpatrick stands accused of committing an offence on the field that warranted a ban but will not now serve one.

Both those issues, I feel, serve to underline the point I'm making that the disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose.

Given that you feel the process needs to start with respect for the referees, would you care to comment on the fact that a player who threw a ball at the ref received a one match ban, or would like to respond by taking another opportunity to have a bitter rant at McGeeney?

In light of your contributions to this thread to date, there is genuinely nothing that will surprise me in your response. 

ck

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 18, 2017, 05:51:03 PM

The incident I referred to, and which you quoted, included the referee being hit on the back with a football thrown at him by an Antrim player. Having looked through this thread it appears that I was mistaken in my belief that the player in question was not punished. AFS indicated in an earlier post that the player actually received a one match ban and it was not Fitzpatrick.

We thus have a disciplinary process whereby a referee was assaulted and the player who committed the assault received a one match ban whilst Fitzpatrick stands accused of committing an offence on the field that warranted a ban but will not now serve one.

Both those issues, I feel, serve to underline the point I'm making that the disciplinary procedures are not fit for purpose.

Given that you feel the process needs to start with respect for the referees, would you care to comment on the fact that a player who threw a ball at the ref received a one match ban, or would like to respond by taking another opportunity to have a bitter rant at McGeeney?

In light of your contributions to this thread to date, there is genuinely nothing that will surprise me in your response.

No idea how I seem to have offended you here, I was actually agreeing with you! And given the name of the thread is about McGeeneys suspension and the match you were referring to was the same match, I'd hardly call my contribution a "bitter rant"!
I never hide the fact that I dislike what McGeeney stands for but his alleged ill discipline in this case really annoys me. In fairness to the man though, he took his suspension and made nothing of it, unlike the Antrim player who has sidestepped a suspension.

tonto1888

Quote from: ck on May 18, 2017, 07:12:27 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 18, 2017, 05:51:03 PM

No idea how I seem to have offended you here, I was actually agreeing with you! And given the name of the thread is about McGeeneys suspension and the match you were referring to was the same match, I'd hardly call my contribution a "bitter rant"!
I never hide the fact that I dislike what McGeeney stands for but his alleged ill discipline in this case really annoys me. In fairness to the man though, he took his suspension and made nothing of it, unlike the Antrim player who has sidestepped a suspension.

As you 'missed' my reply to one of your previous comments I will give it again. What were the salary demand McGeeney was making. Also what were his comments towards the official? And don't quote me what some other poster speculated previously

Armamike

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on May 18, 2017, 02:16:52 PM

Who did he hit?
That's just, like your opinion man.