Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: ONeill on April 10, 2020, 11:19:05 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 09:50:41 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 08, 2020, 09:49:15 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 09:41:06 PM
Quote from: hardstation on April 08, 2020, 09:32:04 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 08, 2020, 09:27:20 PM
If teachers are doing their job properly they should have nothing to fear come inspection time.
Who decides what "properly" is?
The inspectorate. Are there no guidelines against which you are judged? Our business is inspected against a set of guidelines and requirements so we know what "properly" means.

The missus says the pay rise for her isn't worth the hassle of an inspection!

But if she's doing her job properly she shouldn't be worrying
Correct.

Baloney bed frosty this weekend after she sees this.
I have been married nearly 20 years so well used to it.

Jim Bob

If teachers are doing their job properly they should have nothing to fear come inspection time.
The inspectorate. Are there no guidelines against which you are judged? Our business is inspected against a set of guidelines and requirements so we know what "properly" means.

Your missus would represent the view of most teachers !!!

delgany

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 10, 2020, 01:10:12 PM

So do you think teachers will not accept a pay rise and new terms and conditions because of a school inspection which happens every 3 or 4 years ?

Maybe the long term impact of the agreement needs to be considered. INTO  have calculated that a teacher aged 35 , who works to retirement  getsv£52 000 in extra earnings , a 45 yr old - 35 000 and a 55 yr old - £22 000. This would also have a significant impact on a pension accrual.

There is too much emphasis on Inspections - I've never had a problem with them . It's a bit of additional work but if you work in a well - run school , inspection aren't a big issue.

marty34

Quote from: delgany on April 10, 2020, 01:57:37 PM

So do you think teachers will not accept a pay rise and new terms and conditions because of a school inspection which happens every 3 or 4 years ?

Maybe the long term impact of the agreement needs to be considered. INTO  have calculated that a teacher aged 35 , who works out  at £52 000 in extra earnings , a 45 yr old - 35 000 and a 55 yr old - £22 000. This would also have a significant impact on a pension accrual.

There is too much emphasis on Inspections - I've never had a problem with them . It's a bit of additional work but if you work in a well - run school , inspection aren't a big issue.

They are a load of waffle.

Is any parent not going to send their pupil to a local school because of reading a 3 page inspection report with satisfactory or good on it?

delgany

Quote from: marty34 on April 10, 2020, 02:07:25 PM

Maybe the long term impact of the agreement needs to be considered. INTO  have calculated that a teacher aged 35 , who works out  at £52 000 in extra earnings , a 45 yr old - 35 000 and a 55 yr old - £22 000. This would also have a significant impact on a pension accrual.

They are a load of waffle.

Is any parent not going to send their pupil to a local school because of reading a 3 page inspection report with satisfactory or good on it?

100% agree -

Jim Bob

Maybe the long term impact of the agreement needs to be considered. INTO  have calculated that a teacher aged 35 , who works to retirement  getsv£52 000 in extra earnings , a 45 yr old - 35 000 and a 55 yr old - £22 000. This would also have a significant impact on a pension accrual.

Currently  there is no regimented directed time as such so teachers are not compelled to remaining  in school doing laborious paperwork with the fear that this may be looked at by an inspector in the weeks or months ahead and tearing it to shreds. Have  the threat  of an inspection hanging over your head begins at the start of September and remains right through the school year. Every day teachers are aware that everything that goes into a pupils exercise book may well be scrutinised by an inspector.  Every word of every planner they put together comes under the same threat.
This constant shadow of the impending inspector has been lifted since the industrial action began. Teachers have become more relaxed in their job and some are saying they are really enjoying the experience for the first time in their lives. Good teaching and good planning  is still done of course but the constant fear and worry has gone with the boycott of inspections   
I ll be voting no in this ballot. The extra buttons I would receive in the event of it being accepted would not  be worth the everyday stress which would ensue and let's not forget it ll be handed right back and more on top,  when the government come looking the millions back that  they have forked out due to the virus !!!

delgany

Quote from: Jim Bob on April 11, 2020, 10:30:35 AM

Currently  there is no regimented directed time as such so teachers are not compelled to remaining  in school doing laborious paperwork with the fear that this may be looked at by an inspector in the weeks or months ahead and tearing it to shreds. Have  the threat  of an inspection hanging over your head begins at the start of September and remains right through the school year. Every day teachers are aware that everything that goes into a pupils exercise book may well be scrutinised by an inspector.  Every word of every planner they put together comes under the same threat.
This constant shadow of the impending inspector has been lifted since the industrial action began. Teachers have become more relaxed in their job and some are saying they are really enjoying the experience for the first time in their lives. Good teaching and good planning  is still done of course but the constant fear and worry has gone with the boycott of inspections   
I ll be voting no in this ballot. The extra buttons I would receive in the event of it being accepted would not  be worth the everyday stress which would ensue and let's not forget it ll be handed right back and more on top,  when the government come looking the millions back that  they have forked out due to the virus !!!

Jim bob, you make it sound like a police-state in your establishment . I accept that there is a level of accountability but I do think you protest too much.
If the teaching is good , paper work is a side issue.
So you are happy to turn down a pay rise , increased long term earnings , improved pension pot but are content to pay additional taxes to pay for the covid -19 ! I cant figure that one !
I am more than happy to accept the outcome negotiated by the Unions. I think newly qualified teachers and older teachers will more than likely accepted the deal ,as the financial incentives are enough to cope with an inspection every 3/4 years .

marty34

A lot of teachers get caught up in their own self-importance!

Jim Bob

Quote from: delgany on April 11, 2020, 04:32:10 PM

Jim bob, you make it sound like a police-state in your establishment . I accept that there is a level of accountability but I do think you protest too much.
If the teaching is good , paper work is a side issue.
So you are happy to turn down a pay rise , increased long term earnings , improved pension pot but are content to pay additional taxes to pay for the covid -19 ! I cant figure that one !
I am more than happy to accept the outcome negotiated by the Unions. I think newly qualified teachers and older teachers will more than likely accepted the deal ,as the financial incentives are enough to cope with an inspection every 3/4 years .

Paperwork is not a side issue. It causes a lot of stress and great importance is placed upon it by the inspectorate.
Increased long term earnings ? Buttons you mean which as I said will be lost when Boris comes looking his payback...

As regards tax..you don't get any choice whether to pay it or not...so that's that figured for you
I don't think the financial incentives are enough to cope with an inspection every 3/4 years. if you do fair enough and if you are happy with the deal then fair enough.

JimStynes

It's hardly a massive pay rise ffs

delgany

Jim , did you think you would get a pay rise ,so that your salary would be higher than a teacher in UK ? The pay dispute was about pay parity and that was all, it was never going to be some massive hike, to be comparable with South.

I agree that some schools have lost the run of themselves ,when they get notice , my point would be that a well - managed school wouldnt be too concerned about an inspection.- as they should be improving incrementally.

Anyway a few  things to remember - the DE have never closed a school  with respect to a ETI report.
As someone said here,  parents dont really give a monkeys.
And surely as a professional ,a teacher should be  able to cope with a bit of criticism in an ETI report- the school will still open the next day - and you 'll still get paid 52 weeks of the year .

Anyway , everyone is entitled to make their mind up ?

How will the ballot work ?
Is it each union or is it the overall outcome for all unions?

Milltown Row2

I'd say the inspections needs to happen, how else can you gauge what's going on in schools? How it happens needs to be sorted out, having been through 4 ETI inspections I never stressed over it, yes it can be critical but I never lost my job over it, yes it can be personal but that goes after they leave, but if you continue to do your job correctly you'll be fine.

It's every 4/5 years and not everyone is picked, the pay rise could have been a little more though.

The bureaucracy and paperwork needs looked at in fairness
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Back to work you lazy bastards!

theticklemister

Are youse happy with the result?

Taylor