Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on August 07, 2016, 08:45:06 PM
Ll did you make the dublin half?
I did tommy. I used it as a training run for my Marathon training though as knee not 100% so wasn't chasing a time or PB.
Got through it ok and knee not that bad after it.
Someone told me to buy a patella strap and I wore that below knee and it seemed to help.
Really enjoyed it actually. Nice to be running through the city and it was a lovely morning for it.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on August 07, 2016, 08:52:09 PM
I did tommy. I used it as a training run for my Marathon training though as knee not 100% so wasn't chasing a time or PB.
Someone told me to buy a patella strap and I wore that below knee and it seemed to help.
Really enjoyed it actually. Nice to be running through the city and it was a lovely morning for it.

Did it myself and did the same - wind for the last 4k was very strong

Hope it's much calmer next Sunday for the 1/2 Ironman

heffo

Quote from: laoislad on August 07, 2016, 09:00:41 PM
Quote from: heffo on August 07, 2016, 08:56:43 PM
Quote from: laoislad on August 07, 2016, 08:52:09 PM

Did it myself and did the same - wind for the last 4k was very strong

Hope it's much calmer next Sunday for the 1/2 Ironman
Found the drag up Chesterfield a bit tough and it seemed to go on and on. Tough finish with the two hills at the end also.
Good event though, even the non alcoholic beer at the end tasted ok!

Yeah I enjoyed it - brilliant medals too

magpie seanie

Laoislad - I'm by no means a good one to judge off but my experience is as follows. My first pair of running shoes were a pair I picked up on sale in a local show shop. Turns out after googling the were for mild overpronators. Never had an issue. Next pair I picked up were neutral. They were grand but I never felt quite as good in them. Maybe it was that I was doing more distance etc but got an odd pain or two. The new pair I got are a supported shoe for mild overpronators and I must say they feel much better already. I know new running shoes always feel brilliant but I suspect there's more to it than that. I had heard Elvery's was hit and miss and wanted to get to Amphibian King but needed to change runners before I'd get a chance to go there. My experience was ok, it made sense what she said and showed me on the video. But I'm not expert.

laoislad

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 08, 2016, 09:54:09 AM
Laoislad - I'm by no means a good one to judge off but my experience is as follows. My first pair of running shoes were a pair I picked up on sale in a local show shop. Turns out after googling the were for mild overpronators. Never had an issue. Next pair I picked up were neutral. They were grand but I never felt quite as good in them. Maybe it was that I was doing more distance etc but got an odd pain or two. The new pair I got are a supported shoe for mild overpronators and I must say they feel much better already. I know new running shoes always feel brilliant but I suspect there's more to it than that. I had heard Elvery's was hit and miss and wanted to get to Amphibian King but needed to change runners before I'd get a chance to go there. My experience was ok, it made sense what she said and showed me on the video. But I'm not expert.

Cheers.
I ended up buying the Nike Pegasus 33 and wore them yesterday for the Half Marathon and they felt grand.
I had a pair of Asics gt2000 last year that I could never wear longer than 3 miles at which I point I got awful pains in my shins from them everytime I wore them so I was a bit wary of buying Asics again for that reason.
I didn't get the gait analysis done in the end but I'm happy enough with the Nikes after yesterday.  I think they are just a neutral cushioned shoe which is what my last pair Adidas Boost were so that must be what suits me.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

lurganblue

i'll see how my training goes in the next 2 weeks or so but i was planning on entering the Belfast half marathon in September.  Does this also book up quick?  Would i usually be full up before the closing date for entries?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2016, 04:25:48 PM
i'll see how my training goes in the next 2 weeks or so but i was planning on entering the Belfast half marathon in September.  Does this also book up quick?  Would i usually be full up before the closing date for entries?

I doubt it.... But if you're doing it why wait?? Half marathon training can be built up very quickly, 10 k runs every other day followed by 12  15 18 and 20 leading up to race...

What date is it??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

lurganblue

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 09, 2016, 05:20:54 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on August 09, 2016, 04:25:48 PM

I doubt it.... But if you're doing it why wait?? Half marathon training can be built up very quickly, 10 k runs every other day followed by 12  15 18 and 20 leading up to race...

What date is it??

18th sept. Had a bad experience when I booked Dublin marathon few years ago, trained for months and got an injury 2 weeks beforehand. Started 2 weeks ago training for Belfast.  Just want to give it a few long runs at the weekends to see how my legs and feet hold up.

pullhard

At the weekend at part of my long run I had to run down a long steep hill. I felt I was flying only after when I checked my watch I realised it hadn't broken 4min/mile pace. Fastest was 4.10.
I was amazed that despite the assistance of gravity I was still slower than Bannisters record pace.

Anyone else been humbled lately?

No1

That time of year again! Strangford Festival 10k this Friday night at 7pm. Entries available on the night at Inverbrena Community Centre. Great location, great route, great prizes, great race pack and fantastic grub afterwards! Hopefully some of you can make it.

lfdown2

Quote from: No1 on August 24, 2016, 01:53:50 PM
That time of year again! Strangford Festival 10k this Friday night at 7pm. Entries available on the night at Inverbrena Community Centre. Great location, great route, great prizes, great race pack and fantastic grub afterwards! Hopefully some of you can make it.

hopefully make it - though will take it handy, match Saturday - any other day/night this week to register? might get the in-laws to get on to it for me.

No1

Great stuff LF. Registration open on Thursday night from 7 to 9 at Inverbrena also.

JimStynes

Need new trainers lads. Not doing serious running but 3 and 6mile runs couple times of week. Any recommendations? Have asics cumulus but they're wrecked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on August 31, 2016, 08:53:39 PM
Need new trainers lads. Not doing serious running but 3 and 6mile runs couple times of week. Any recommendations? Have asics cumulus but they're wrecked.

I tend to stick with the same brand of I've found them comfortable and if I've not got any niggles from them... For me anyways i feel that my feet have got used to the shape.. Been using running trainers from Asics for years now... Never any problems...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

magpie seanie

I was awful close to switching to a lovely pair of Brooks when I purchased recently. They felt really nice but the Asics were so comfortable. Think it was a case of "there's no bad decision here" but I'd be tempted to try Brooks in future.