Sligo V London Connaught C'ship

Started by ck, May 24, 2013, 02:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

Can't see London beating Leitrim in Carrick to be fair. Was exepcting us to be beaten by 8-10 if we got over London.

theticklemister

Promotion of football will greatly outweigh money complaints. It's all about money with people, money, money, money.

I would love to see London in the final, be over the moon!

muppet

Quote from: Lone Shark on May 28, 2013, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 10:58:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2013, 10:48:12 PM
Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on May 27, 2013, 10:45:53 PM
Perhaps you should give a "flying f**k" as you put it.  A substantial loss of revenue is a serious concern to everyone.

Jobs may consequently be lost.

Cathal Cregg's among them Syf ya clown. >:(

I doubt Cregger's job depends on London not making a Connacht final, you court jester's behind.

You can't act like costings are something you can build your house on in sport because the very essence is everyone has a chance. Connacht GAA take a hit this year, whatever. If London derseve to be there they deserve to be there, simple.

It'd be one of the GAA's stories of the decade and I would love to see it happen. Exiles reaching a provincial final. Tell me another sport, another country where this can happen at the top level. It goes to the heart of our national identity and it's worth a hell of a lot more than a few thousand ticket sales in one year out of 129 Connacht finals.

First of all, stand tickets were €30 last year, or so it seems - http://www.swinfordgaa.ie/news/ticket-details-connacht-gaa-football-championship-finals-2012/

Secondly, even allowing for an attractive pairing in the minor final, you'd still do well to get more than 5,000 or 6,000 people, which would be a loss of revenue of the order of half a million euro or so. There's no way that the Connacht Council would have budgeted for this contingency since this has never happened before and it would have been considered a hugely unlikely outcome before the draw was made. That will of course have a knock on effect, it would be foolish to pretend that it wouldn't.

Stand tickets for the QF in Salthill last week were €25.
MWWSI 2017

Canalman

Quote from: theticklemister on May 28, 2013, 11:28:54 AM
Promotion of football will greatly outweigh money complaints. It's all about money with people, money, money, money.

I would love to see London in the final, be over the moon!

In particular it is all about money to one particular Irish Newspaper and its GAA journos.

Syferus

Quote from: Lone Shark on May 28, 2013, 11:18:47 AM
Quote from: Syferus on May 27, 2013, 10:58:15 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 27, 2013, 10:48:12 PM
Quote from: Plain of the Herbs on May 27, 2013, 10:45:53 PM
Perhaps you should give a "flying f**k" as you put it.  A substantial loss of revenue is a serious concern to everyone.

Jobs may consequently be lost.

Cathal Cregg's among them Syf ya clown. >:(

I doubt Cregger's job depends on London not making a Connacht final, you court jester's behind.

You can't act like costings are something you can build your house on in sport because the very essence is everyone has a chance. Connacht GAA take a hit this year, whatever. If London derseve to be there they deserve to be there, simple.

It'd be one of the GAA's stories of the decade and I would love to see it happen. Exiles reaching a provincial final. Tell me another sport, another country where this can happen at the top level. It goes to the heart of our national identity and it's worth a hell of a lot more than a few thousand ticket sales in one year out of 129 Connacht finals.

First of all, stand tickets were €30 last year, or so it seems - http://www.swinfordgaa.ie/news/ticket-details-connacht-gaa-football-championship-finals-2012/

Secondly, even allowing for an attractive pairing in the minor final, you'd still do well to get more than 5,000 or 6,000 people, which would be a loss of revenue of the order of half a million euro or so. There's no way that the Connacht Council would have budgeted for this contingency since this has never happened before and it would have been considered a hugely unlikely outcome before the draw was made. That will of course have a knock on effect, it would be foolish to pretend that it wouldn't.

Iirc, the sideline seating section in the Hyde is €25 for Connacht finals. I had thought the new stand last year was €30 but neither Sligo GAA or Mayo GAA's pricing announcements made mention of that when I looked back on them before I responded. Probably CBs confusing sideline seating with stand seating. The point remains the person I responded to was entirely wrong in pricing even at the very, very top end.

In the fullness of the sport, of Connacht even, it's a drop in the ocean and to focus on attendences if London make a Connacht final is about as cynical and dead-hearted an approach I'll have ever seen. They're in the Connacht championship and rightly so. This is sport, sure bets lose and that's the essence of why anyone posts here or goes to games. We can't just assume a certain final or pairing is a formality and then complain when someone tears up shoddy logic. Blame Sligo (and maybe Leitrim) for losing.

Rossfan

Prices go up with each Round in Connacht.
Last year for the Final the Terrace was €20, open seats €30 and Stand €35.
As for money - syfín who is 13 and lives at home with his parents doesn't have to worry about it .
however in the real world it costs money to run clubs, it costs money to run County boards, it costs money to run Provincial Councils, to maintain pitches/stadia, to kit out teams and the last time I looked McDonalds wanted money from the Ros minors when they had their post match banquet.
I'm sure other Counties have to pay for their top dollar hotel meals just like we have to pay the Chippy for feeding our lads :-[
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 28, 2013, 02:41:48 PM
Prices go up with each Round in Connacht.
Last year for the Final the Terrace was €20, open seats €30 and Stand €35.
As for money - syfín who is 13 and lives at home with his parents doesn't have to worry about it .
however in the real world it costs money to run clubs, it costs money to run County boards, it costs money to run Provincial Councils, to maintain pitches/stadia, to kit out teams and the last time I looked McDonalds wanted money from the Ros minors when they had their post match banquet.
I'm sure other Counties have to pay for their top dollar hotel meals just like we have to pay the Chippy for feeding our lads :-[

They weren't €35 and if you'd even attempted to read the thread you'd have seen that.

From the Bunker

Back row left to right: Lorcan Mulvey (Cavan) Fulham Irish, Site manager;  Lloyd Colfer (Wexford) GAA development officer; Greg Crowle (Westmeath) Parnells, Credit Control manager; Cathal Magee (Down) Tir Chonaill Gaels, Construction manager; Paul Geraghty (Galway) engineer manager; Danny Ryan (Mayo) maths teacher; Caolan Doyle (Derry) Tir Chonaill Gaels, Schoolteacher; Shane Mulligan (Monaghan) Fulham Irish, Engineer; Martin Carroll (Louth) plumber ; Declan Traynor (Meath) Fulham Irish, Labourer; Evan Byrne (Tipperary) student; Kevin Lynham (Offaly) Heston Gaels, Site foreman; Damien Dunleavy (Galway) block-layer; Eoin O'Neill (Galway) electrician.

Front row left to right: Brian Collins (Sligo) architect;Philip Butler (London) student; Tony Gaughan (Mayo) Neasden Gaels, Self employed plumber;  Padraig McGoldrick (Sligo) Heston Gaels, Site manager; Mark Gottsche (Galway) Tir Chonaill Gaels, Works for London GAA board; Seamus Hannon (Longford) Fulham Irish, Civil engineer; Barry Mitchell (Laois) Heston Gaels, Property investor;  Ciaran McCallion (Derry) Kingdom Kerry Gaels, Site engineer;  David McGreevy (Down) Kingdom Kerry Gales, Recruitment consultant; Stephen Curran(Kerry) St Kiernans, Structural engineer;  Sean Kelly (Mayo) student;  Eamonn McConville (Down) accountant.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Statement on behalf of Sligo Senior Football Panel

In light of recent comments in the national media, players want to publicly assert their full confidence in Kevin Walsh and his Management Team going forward.

Sligo Senior Football Panel
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 28, 2013, 11:19:59 PM

In light of recent comments in the national media, players want to publicly assert their full confidence in Kevin Walsh and his Management Team going forward.

Propaganda, lies, how many players signed the statement, oh right none. Wonder who forced them into it and how this came about? I am sure there are players who support him because they know they will lose there place under a new manager, but i have had players come up to me giving out about walsh in the past 1.5 yrs.

Why didnt they not just say nothing. This makes them look even worse.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Laughable. Ye just lost to London! If it was me I would be keeping the head down. An apology would be more apt!

I know without being told who is behind this. Several players clearly don't agree with this. Some shambles.

theticklemister

Second apology of the year and it's not June!!!!!

Mayo4Sam

Is it not a bit rich of O'Hara talking about rumours of Walsh having his head turned by Roscommon given the quantity of rumours that surrounded him during his career of going to play club for his uncle with us and county for mayo
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Keyser soze

It's not surprising Sligo football is going nowhere. A 37 year old is asked to commit to a training schedule from November. He doesn't want to do so. As a consequence he is not invited onto the panel. He then uses a national TV programme to slate said manager and it appears most Sligo supporters on here support him in that.

Well fine get yourselves another manager that will  let a player dictate the terms of when he will join and what work he will put in and see how that goes for you.

Mano

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on May 29, 2013, 10:02:59 AM
Is it not a bit rich of O'Hara talking about rumours of Walsh having his head turned by Roscommon given the quantity of rumours that surrounded him during his career of going to play club for his uncle with us and county for mayo
Those were not rumours-he was on the verge of changing club. Changing club however does not mean he would have changed his county allegiance. He was always fully committed to Sligo.

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on May 28, 2013, 11:19:59 PM

County Board are making fools of the county players with this statement. Players need to make a stand now