Kildare v Galway. Super 8s Round 2. 22 July 2pm #newbridgeornowhere

Started by Dinny Breen, July 16, 2018, 10:05:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

An Fhairche Abu

It's the hypocritical whinging of Kildare that is the issue really, there's no doubt the Galway team are no angels.

Duine Eile

It's the whole narrative around Flynn's red card that gets me, he struck/attempted to strike and was stupid enough to do it in front of the linesman and the Galway bench. Plenty of other players on both sides were on the end of pulling, dragging, illegal tackles etc. but managed to keep their tempers in check, Flynn didn't and got a deserved red. And for what it's worth, I though Sean Andy should have gotten a yellow in that incident for the high tackle.

GalwayBayBoy

The ironic thing is had the referee applied the rules correctly, Kildare could easily have picked up 3 red cards on the day. The one they got for Flynn. The "tackle" on Sweeney out on the wing which was both dangerous and 100% intentional and was by a mile the worst incident all game. And the player who was boxing the head UFC style off Varley on the ground as the final whistle blew.

Now I don't think Kildare are a dirty side but when articles from that flute emerge trying to hang one side while not even mentioning the other only to whinge about how wronged they were I can't blame people for pulling him up on his bullshit. And they have been doing so on his Twitter account all evening.

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 26, 2018, 11:51:44 PM
The ironic thing is had the referee applied the rules correctly, Kildare could easily have picked up 3 red cards on the day. The one they got for Flynn. The "tackle" on Sweeney out on the wing which was both dangerous and 100% intentional. And the player who was boxing the head UFC style off Varley on the ground as the final whistle blew.

Now I don't think Kildare are a dirty side but when articles from that flute emerge trying to hang one side while not even mentioning the other only to whinge about how wronged they were I can't blame people for pulling him up on his bullshit. And they have been doing so on his Twitter account all evening.
McKenna is less a sports journalist than a professional moaner, whinger about everything.
An absolute miserable so and so.
He laid into the Dubs a while back as well if memory serves me.
He would suck the life out of you listening to him on radio.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on July 26, 2018, 11:56:47 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 26, 2018, 11:51:44 PM
The ironic thing is had the referee applied the rules correctly, Kildare could easily have picked up 3 red cards on the day. The one they got for Flynn. The "tackle" on Sweeney out on the wing which was both dangerous and 100% intentional. And the player who was boxing the head UFC style off Varley on the ground as the final whistle blew.

McKenna is less a sports journalist than a professional moaner, whinger about everything.
An absolute miserable so and so.
He laid into the Dubs a while back as well if memory serves me.
He would suck the life out of you listening to him on radio.

Yeah, how could anyone find something to lay into the Dubs about..

Dinny Breen

Galway need to suck it up like Meath in the 80s and 90s. They have been called out, the statistics show it, nearly all the red cards are for forwards retaliating. They have a systematic approach, they are deliberately trying to provoke players, they are taking gamesmanship and cynicism to a new level, having seen them in the flesh for 2 weeks in a row I  can testify Galway are filthy, and no amount of whataboutery  will change that. I also agree every team in the Super 8 has an edge, it's become engrained but Galway are currently the galacticos of the dark arts.

MacKenna's mother doesn't even love him and he is a bit of a serial virtue signaller but that doesn't make him wrong in this regard. If you are getting precious over MacKenna's comments wait till you have to play Dublin in a semi final or final and Dublin roll out their media mafia for the week beforehand. They will have the referee and linesmen in a frenzy just waiting to show any Galway player  a red card.

Just suck it up boys because unless Galway change drastically  this narrative is here to stay and no amount of dribbling from the likes of Ray Silke will change that.
#newbridgeornowhere

imtommygunn

They may be cynical but it is hardly a new level dinny. That is a bit sensationalist  :D All the top teams are cynical inclusive of the dubs.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 27, 2018, 07:59:54 AM
They may be cynical but it is hardly a new level dinny. That is a bit sensationalist  :D All the top teams are cynical inclusive of the dubs.

Just sticking to the narrative ITG.
#newbridgeornowhere

An Fhairche Abu

"Filthy", "cheats", some amount of invective from the sorest losers that I can recall post any Galway match - in either code - in a long, long time.
Where was this opprobrium from the Kerry fans after the first round of matches given that the bastions of virtue from Kildare are now calling out Galway's performance in that match as well? How did Roscommon cope in the Connacht final to somehow keep 15 men on the pitch? How can you possibly class the Mayo red card as "retaliation"?
Kildare were at off the ball stuff all day last Sunday as well. The hypocrisy of McKenna and others is simply being called out, it needs to be.

Perhaps when you are out of the championship and have nothing to play for maybe the best you can do is try and generate a media campaign from your couch in Brazil to hinder the county that dumped you out. I think that's pathetic but yet here we are.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2018, 06:45:52 AM
Galway need to suck it up like Meath in the 80s and 90s. They have been called out, the statistics show it, nearly all the red cards are for forwards retaliating. They have a systematic approach, they are deliberately trying to provoke players, they are taking gamesmanship and cynicism to a new level, having seen them in the flesh for 2 weeks in a row I  can testify Galway are filthy, and no amount of whataboutery  will change that. I also agree every team in the Super 8 has an edge, it's become engrained but Galway are currently the galacticos of the dark arts.

MacKenna's mother doesn't even love him and he is a bit of a serial virtue signaller but that doesn't make him wrong in this regard. If you are getting precious over MacKenna's comments wait till you have to play Dublin in a semi final or final and Dublin roll out their media mafia for the week beforehand. They will have the referee and linesmen in a frenzy just waiting to show any Galway player  a red card.

Just suck it up boys because unless Galway change drastically  this narrative is here to stay and no amount of dribbling from the likes of Ray Silke will change that.
Filthy?!!!  That's absolute muck DB and to be honest I'm very surprised to see such a comment from a usually reasonable poster like yourself.

We have a hard edge for sure, same as most of the other top teams, and it's a trait that we were sorely lacking for many years.  Our main issue at the moment is that we are not being clinical enough with all the chances, goals especially, that we are creating.  Unless that improves in the coming weeks, we won't be beating the Dubs and possibly other teams also.

Best of luck to ye in Killarney.

mup

Seriously lads we are embarrassing ourselves with all this stuff.

Galway won by whatever means possible. Maybe if we tried those means every now and then we might not be considered 'soft'.

I know I'd rather win that way than lose being nice.

FFS move on.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 27, 2018, 09:23:38 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 27, 2018, 06:45:52 AM

Filthy?!!!  That's absolute muck DB and to be honest I'm very surprised to see such a comment from a usually reasonable poster like yourself.

We have a hard edge for sure, same as most of the other top teams, and it's a trait that we were sorely lacking for many years.  Our main issue at the moment is that we are not being clinical enough with all the chances, goals especially, that we are creating.  Unless that improves in the coming weeks, we won't be beating the Dubs and possibly other teams also.

Best of luck to ye in Killarney.

Hard edge is a euphemism for filthy and just for the record, "filth" "dirt" "dark arts" "hard edge" have existed since time began and players will always push boundaries.  I have no issue it with it and am glad Kildare are developing an edge , it's one of the reasons why competitive sport is compelling. I am amused by the preciousness of the Galway support, I think you are too use to the media blowing smoke up your holes.

Welcome it, welcome the abuse, it means you have arrived.
#newbridgeornowhere

GaillimhIarthair

We are far from precious and it's a very long time since the media blew smoke up our asses in reference to our footballers - we were a shambles for years and failed miserably to adapt to an evolving football landscape in the mid 00s.  It's taken us a decade and a half to recover.  As you say, I'm delighted where we are at now, and it's great to finally be in with a shout at the business end of the championship - it's been far too long.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on July 27, 2018, 10:20:47 AM
We are far from precious and it's a very long time since the media blew smoke up our asses in reference to our footballers - we were a shambles for years and failed miserably to adapt to an evolving football landscape in the mid 00s.  It's taken us a decade and a half to recover.  As you say, I'm delighted where we are at now, and it's great to finally be in with a shout at the business end of the championship - it's been far too long.

Exactly, Galway are a template for the Tipp's/Kildare's/Roscommon's/Cavan's. It's one thing getting your underage set-up sorted but you need then to get the physicality and crucially the mentality that brings to compete with the Mayo's, Kerry's, Tyrone's, Donegal's and Monaghan's on consistent basis. It's dog eat dog, get that right and then you can look having a pop at the GAA's team, Galway and Kildare have learned, pretty football will only get you so far.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

So McKenna's article is based on never actually seeing Galway in the flesh, he may we have a point about some of the stuff that goes on off the ball but he's very naive to think it that all the top teams aren't at it. I've been at all the games Dublin & Mayo have played against each other and both teams are at it, so much stuff going on off the ball. He's gone far too personal on the attack on Galway. We saw a Kildare man sent off and Cooke & Varley were both on the receiving end of punches too, their are clear to see on the TV. He keeps showing a picture of Sean Andy grabbing Cribbin's jersey as some sort of evidence he's punched him, he's completely lost the run of himself. As for been filthy thats laughable considering the amount of Kildare men caught throwing punches on the TV.

He's citing the red cards as some sort of evidence which is laughable, if you ask Harte, O'Rourke, Fitzmaurice, Gavin & Rochford about the sending offs they'll tell you how disappointed they were in their own players not the Galway player. Comer gets dogs of abuse and its only the last 6 months he's started to deal with it, he was sent off in the FBD against Mayo. Galway have been very disciplined since that game, just hope it continues.