Boeing 737 max

Started by Main Street, March 11, 2019, 12:13:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 12, 2019, 04:42:07 PM
Quote from: general_lee on March 11, 2019, 12:41:52 PM
When I heard about the Ethiopia Airlines disaster I was expecting it to be some 40 year old hen house. Who is at fault here? Normally it's pilot error and I'm no aviation expert but it doesn't look good for Boeing that this is the second air disaster involving these planes in under 6 months.

Sounds like you need to update your impressions of Ethiopia.

"Ethiopia is Africa's fastest-growing economy

Ethiopia's rise has been largely driven by an increase in industrial activity, including investments in infrastructure and manufacturing.

A recent research paper suggests Ethiopia can be the new China, because it has been improving its road and rail connections, and has good air connections. In addition, the report's authors say that Ethiopia has a stable administration that sees manufacturing as a central part of its growth strategy."

Full story: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2018/05/ethiopia-africa-fastest-growing-economy/

Never mind that Ethopian Airlines have an incredibly modern fleet, far more modern than Aer Lingus' for example.

armaghniac

Quote from: OgraAnDun on March 12, 2019, 07:47:29 PM
Never mind that Ethopian Airlines have an incredibly modern fleet, far more modern than Aer Lingus' for example.

Respectable airline. I flew on their 787 from LA to Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

Quote from: J70 on March 12, 2019, 06:42:59 PM
Quote from: Main Street on March 12, 2019, 06:30:21 PM
Europe wide ban now for the 737s,  but declared safe in the USA,  lucky buggers those Americans.

One wonders what the response would have been to an Airbus plane?
An Airbus inside US airspace would be declared a worse than terrorist threat and Trump would be tweeting about Boeing making America great again.

Dolph1

When I heard about the Ethiopia Airlines disaster I was expecting it to be some 40 year old hen house. Who is at fault here? Normally it's pilot error and I'm no aviation expert but it doesn't look good for Boeing that this is the second air disaster involving these planes in under 6 months.

How come GOAL and the like are still asking people in Ireland to send money over to that country if they are doing so well?

Getting scammed bigtime. Again.
Trump 2020. Making America Greater Again

red hander

Quote from: Dolph1 on March 12, 2019, 09:15:49 PM

How come GOAL and the like are still asking people in Ireland to send money over to that country if they are doing so well?

Jesus wept  ::)

Eamonnca1

Quote from: red hander on March 12, 2019, 10:01:46 PM

Jesus wept  ::)

I prefer to keep him quarantined on the other thread.

armaghniac

There're not.
https://www.goalglobal.org/where-we-work

Dolph1

Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2019, 10:08:00 PM

There're not.

Ethiopia is listed on that page. Take another look.

armaghniac

Quote from: Dolph1 on March 12, 2019, 11:23:59 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 12, 2019, 10:08:00 PM

There're not.

Ethiopia is listed on that page. Take another look.

Crap. I should have gone down to the bottom.

Eamonnca1

From Robert Reich:

You might think that, now that Europe and Asia have grounded the Boeing 737 MAX 8 over safety concerns, the Federal Aviation Administration would want to make sure Americans are safe. Think again.

Trump's FAA, under Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao (who also happens to be Mitch McConnell's wife), is doing absolutely nothing about anything. From today's Wall Street Journal:

"Thirty-five congressional mandates sit unanswered, on everything from minimum seat space to secondary barriers protecting cockpits. The top job at the Federal Aviation Administration has been open for 14 months. Enforcement fines against major U.S. airlines have dropped 88 percent in the past two years, even as three-hour tarmac delays have more than doubled... Even with airlines begging for rules on emotional-support animals, and both Republicans and Democrats expressing concerns about swollen fees, shrunken seating and punitive airline policies, the DOT has been loath to issue new regulations."

And what about the Boeing 737 MAX 8? The Journal goes on to report: "So far, the FAA, siding with Boeing and U.S. airlines, says the plane is safe and a software fix is coming by the end of April." Meanwhile, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg has personally lobbied Trump not to ground the plane.

So, friends, when you're up there at 40,000 feet, you can relax because Boeing says the plane is safe. And that's all that counts in Trump's Washington.

RedHand88

Ireland GDP per capita $69,330.69

Ethiopia GDP per capita $767.56

trailer

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 13, 2019, 01:36:50 AM
From Robert Reich:

You might think that, now that Europe and Asia have grounded the Boeing 737 MAX 8 over safety concerns, the Federal Aviation Administration would want to make sure Americans are safe. Think again.

Trump's FAA, under Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao (who also happens to be Mitch McConnell's wife), is doing absolutely nothing about anything. From today's Wall Street Journal:

"Thirty-five congressional mandates sit unanswered, on everything from minimum seat space to secondary barriers protecting cockpits. The top job at the Federal Aviation Administration has been open for 14 months. Enforcement fines against major U.S. airlines have dropped 88 percent in the past two years, even as three-hour tarmac delays have more than doubled... Even with airlines begging for rules on emotional-support animals, and both Republicans and Democrats expressing concerns about swollen fees, shrunken seating and punitive airline policies, the DOT has been loath to issue new regulations."

And what about the Boeing 737 MAX 8? The Journal goes on to report: "So far, the FAA, siding with Boeing and U.S. airlines, says the plane is safe and a software fix is coming by the end of April." Meanwhile, Boeing CEO Dennis Muilenburg has personally lobbied Trump not to ground the plane.

So, friends, when you're up there at 40,000 feet, you can relax because Boeing says the plane is safe. And that's all that counts in Trump's Washington.

I'd imagine pilots will refuse to fly them until they are proved safe, regardless if they are grounded or not.
Pilots are intelligent people.

Dolph1

Quote from: RedHand88 on March 13, 2019, 07:44:19 AM

They aren't rich but it's not the Band-Aid days either. Plenty of rich African nations and their diaspora that should be forking out.
I don't see that happening.

johnnycool

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 13, 2019, 01:36:50 AM
From Robert Reich:

If they're safe why would they need a software fix in April? What is it fixing?

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Dolph1 on March 13, 2019, 03:56:35 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on March 13, 2019, 07:44:19 AM

They aren't rich but it's not the Band-Aid days either. Plenty of rich African nations and their diaspora that should be forking out.
I don't see that happening.

I guess you don't. But that would require a few seconds of googling.

https://alfred.stlouisfed.org/series?seid=DDOI11ETA156NWDB&utm_source=series_page&utm_medium=related_content&utm_term=related_resources&utm_campaign=alfred