Fire in tower block in London.

Started by 5 Sams, June 14, 2017, 05:25:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

They're in a no-win situation. If they said someone was dead who later turned up there'd be hell to pay. Which would you rather?

Walter Cronc

Have they even released who is missing?

johnneycool

I don't think in this instance there's a concerted campaign to drip feed information on the dead to the media, I just think they really don't know, but you'd have to fear for the 76 missing people ever turning up with the severity of that fire and how quickly it caught hold.

Tony Baloney

omaghjoe

Here's a story of someone from the 15th.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-40297466
He is the highest up survivor Ive heard about, appears to be a strong young man and it seems like a minor miracle that he got out and there are 9 floors of people above him.

A note on he media coverage in America. Its pretty low down the listing, for reference the recent terrorist attacks were the main news for days.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 16, 2017, 04:38:05 PM
He is the highest up survivor Ive heard about, appears to be a strong young man and it seems like a minor miracle that he got out and there are 9 floors of people above him.

A note on he media coverage in America. Its pretty low down the listing, for reference the recent terrorist attacks were the main news for days.

Yep, the Scalise shootings just as this story was breaking that morning threw it off the front page pretty quickly.

Its strange it hasn't got more coverage though.

Part of what makes terrorist attacks in the west headline news in the west is that western people can put themselves in the shoes of the victims. Sort of "there but for the grace of God go I" type of response. Which might not necessarily be the case for the victims of the latest car bombing or air strike in Syria.

This apartment tower fire should really elicit the same type of response here too.

J70

Quote from: Declan on June 16, 2017, 05:17:22 PM
Heartbreaking stuff
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/16/have-whole-life-ahead-dont-want-die-final-call-italian-woman/

Reminds me of listening to the calls from inside the World Trade Center at the 9/11 museum.

Hard to listen to or imagine what they were going through.

The fact that the ordeal last so many hours too... I didn't really know that till now. The shelter-in-place procedures I guess.

Tony Baloney

The lack of a common fire alarm in the building is shocking. That the girl in that report and many other remained in the building until it was too late to escape is absolutely mind - boggling.

Tony Baloney

And that **** Teresa May can count herself lucky it wasn't 2 weeks ago.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tony Baloney on June 16, 2017, 07:08:06 PM
The lack of a common fire alarm in the building is shocking. That the girl in that report and many other remained in the building until it was too late to escape is absolutely mind - boggling.

If you were in a tower that was on fire and the fire brigade said stay in, would you stay or try and find a way out? Remember they said to the ones in the twin towers, stay there until it was too late!

It's madness that in some reports that they could have put the sprinkler system in place for 20grand! But to believe some other reports they mentioned the residents didn't want anymore upheaval
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: J70 on June 16, 2017, 05:34:23 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on June 16, 2017, 04:38:05 PM

Yep, the Scalise shootings just as this story was breaking that morning threw it off the front page pretty quickly.

Its strange it hasn't got more coverage though.

Part of what makes terrorist attacks in the west headline news in the west is that western people can put themselves in the shoes of the victims. Sort of "there but for the grace of God go I" type of response. Which might not necessarily be the case for the victims of the latest car bombing or air strike in Syria.

This apartment tower fire should really elicit the same type of response here too.

This shite, corporations not looking after the best interests of people, is far more likely to effect people than a lad who's listened to a mad Iman is ever going to.

Of the last five months of horrible stories out of the UK this is by far the worst and most maddening.

HiMucker

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2017, 07:27:56 PM

If you were in a tower that was on fire and the fire brigade said stay in, would you stay or try and find a way out? Remember they said to the ones in the twin towers, stay there until it was too late!

It's madness that in some reports that they could have put the sprinkler system in place for 20grand! But to believe some other reports they mentioned the residents didn't want anymore upheaval
Read that.  Even if its true ( which I highly doubt), its disgraceful that the TMO would even say mention it.  So what if the residents objected to a sprinkler system being installed.  It should get installed anyway.   Not sure how much good it would have done them all the same.  God love them

Milltown Row2

Quote from: HiMucker on June 16, 2017, 09:55:43 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on June 16, 2017, 07:27:56 PM

Read that.  Even if its true ( which I highly doubt), its disgraceful that the TMO would even say mention it.  So what if the residents objected to a sprinkler system being installed.  It should get installed anyway.   Not sure how much good it would have done them all the same.  God love them

Until the whole truth comes out (if ever) we are listening to info from all different media outlets... I'd say most buildings meet regulations, problem is just cause it meets the regulations doesn't mean it's safe
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea