3 (3.3%)
football and horses frequently
21 (23.3%)
anything that moves whenever, wherever
7 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

AZOffaly

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 23, 2018, 11:02:12 PM
There's a lot more horse racing on TV these days, a large portion of it sponsored by the gambling companies. That's something that could easily be restricted for a start

Is that true? I seem to remember horse racing on RTE every saturday in the 80s and 90s. It was the main item on Sports Stadium.

Insane Bolt

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 24, 2018, 08:45:21 AM
There's a lot more horse racing on TV these days, a large portion of it sponsored by the gambling companies. That's something that could easily be restricted for a start

Is that true? I seem to remember horse racing on RTE every saturday in the 80s and 90s. It was the main item on Sports Stadium.
Racing everyday bar Xmas eve and Xmas day

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 24, 2018, 09:04:07 AM

There is the horse racing channel, it shows racing every day from various tracks! The one that gets me is virtual racing !! I back horses only at Grand national, Cheltenham or if i get the chance to go to Down Royal.. wouldnt have a clue, TBH.. 7/2 the draw tonight  :)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 24, 2018, 09:16:26 AM

There is the horse racing channel, it shows racing every day from various tracks! The one that gets me is virtual racing !! I back horses only at Grand national, Cheltenham or if i get the chance to go to Down Royal.. wouldnt have a clue, TBH.. 7/2 the draw tonight  :)
Know a lad who only gambles on the virtual horses.....and he studies the form....I kid you not😂

Don Johnson

Quote from: TabClear on April 24, 2018, 08:44:47 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 24, 2018, 08:29:04 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 24, 2018, 07:32:55 AM
I would dread to think what I have gambled over the years, for years I was only a 50p Yankee and a £5 football bet on a Saturday, which progressed to betting every day. I was fortunate enough that I never got hooked and that I never gambled money I didn't have, but even now when I would do the occasional bet the same guys are on the gaming machines (which should be banned in my opinion). Only gamble with what you can afford to lose is wise advice.
I'd say that's how many people start but it gets out of control.

Those FOBT gaming machines seem to be one of the biggest problems. I would very rarely be in a bookies as on the odd occasions i do a bet its generally on the phone. But I know of at least 3 guys who have got into serious problems on those machines. I really cannot see the appeal of them but these guys would not generally have been big "traditional" gamblers as such, they would have done the odd football bet and Cheltenham  but you would hear stories of them sitting in the Bookies on these machines for hours on a Saturday. The numbers that they were rumored to be losing was scary.  I know the law has changed on these to reduce the maximum stakes etc which is a start.

Not defending the FOBTs but they are limited to £100 a spin. Ban them and what will the fellas do? They will go online where they can put on a lot more than £100 a spin. How do you stop it?

Insane Bolt

Quote from: Don Johnson on April 24, 2018, 09:36:02 AM
I would dread to think what I have gambled over the years, for years I was only a 50p Yankee and a £5 football bet on a Saturday, which progressed to betting every day. I was fortunate enough that I never got hooked and that I never gambled money I didn't have, but even now when I would do the occasional bet the same guys are on the gaming machines (which should be banned in my opinion). Only gamble with what you can afford to lose is wise advice.

Those FOBT gaming machines seem to be one of the biggest problems. I would very rarely be in a bookies as on the odd occasions i do a bet its generally on the phone. But I know of at least 3 guys who have got into serious problems on those machines. I really cannot see the appeal of them but these guys would not generally have been big "traditional" gamblers as such, they would have done the odd football bet and Cheltenham  but you would hear stories of them sitting in the Bookies on these machines for hours on a Saturday. The numbers that they were rumored to be losing was scary.  I know the law has changed on these to reduce the maximum stakes etc which is a start
Not defending the FOBTs but they are limited to £100 a spin. Ban them and what will the fellas do? They will go online where they can put on a lot more than £100 a spin. How do you stop it?

Outside of Sharia Law I don't know how you stop gambling

Don Johnson

A full scale ban on all gambling advertising should be the logical first step, see how it goes from there.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Don Johnson on April 24, 2018, 10:01:56 AM
A full scale ban on all gambling advertising should be the logical first step, see how it goes from there.

I agree on the ad ban, plus take those machines out of the bookies, there are 3 in my local, i wouldnt know how to put money into them but there are lads all ages, whacking money into left right and centre! I'd say in the time it takes me to do my two fiver bets (one soccer, the other a mix of Gaa and rugby) they would have spent £40
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 24, 2018, 09:16:26 AM

You have to have access to the horse racing channel though, so you're probably already 'into' it at that stage. For the casual observer, horse racing is hardly any more in your face, or is it?

lurganblue

Just looking at my original post on this from years ago and realising that i gamble far less these days than i did.  I still like a flutter but really only when i have time to actually watch the event or even the scores coming in of a Saturday.  This would be rare enough. Once a month if lucky.

TabClear

Quote from: Don Johnson on April 24, 2018, 09:36:02 AM

Those FOBT gaming machines seem to be one of the biggest problems. I would very rarely be in a bookies as on the odd occasions i do a bet its generally on the phone. But I know of at least 3 guys who have got into serious problems on those machines. I really cannot see the appeal of them but these guys would not generally have been big "traditional" gamblers as such, they would have done the odd football bet and Cheltenham  but you would hear stories of them sitting in the Bookies on these machines for hours on a Saturday. The numbers that they were rumored to be losing was scary.  I know the law has changed on these to reduce the maximum stakes etc which is a start.

Christ, £100 a spin!! I had no idea they could reach that level. You are probably right DJ, with online gambling being so accessible its hard to stop someone gambling if they want to. I have sat in the pub with mates on a saturday who would easily bet on 5-6 races plus a football bet. At least pre online betting you had to physically make an effort to put a bet on (even if it was just telling the barman to phone it in!)

Are bookies under any duty of care with respect to allowing people to bet if they think they have a problem?

Insane Bolt

It's the gambling on anything and everything that gets me. Football...how many corners, free kicks. Yellow cards etc

Avondhu star

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 24, 2018, 10:26:01 AM
It's the gambling on anything and everything that gets me. Football...how many corners, free kicks. Yellow cards etc
I agree with you on that. The followers of the horses are an older generation. I have seen lads in the clubhouse on the phones betting on the soccer a lot. They might back Kane Messi Salah etc to score the first goal. If he doesnt they will then take the option that he will score next on thebalance of probabilities. I read in a local paper one weekend whike in Wexford of some young lad pulling over 7000 from Paddy Power using is phone account. Its a far cry from a shilling each way on Pigotts horse in the Derby
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Dire Ear

Would like to do a wee bet  (£5) a week on the soccer,  any advice on what type of bet , apart from not to bother!
Wouldn't bet at all, not even the National,  but would be a bitacraic

Avondhu star

Quote from: Dire Ear on April 24, 2018, 10:45:50 AM
Would like to do a wee bet  (£5) a week on the soccer,  any advice on what type of bet , apart from not to bother!
Wouldn't bet at all, not even the National,  but would be a bitacraic

I do a 1 euro yankee each weekend on the first to score which costs 11 euro. The one time the four selections clicked ( Shearer Owen Van Nistleroy Davies) I pulled 1988.
Since then I have often got two correct or three correct ( three doubles and a treble) which gives a nice return.
I have my favourites and often the individual price might be only 5/2 but if you get a few together it adds up. I pick four from across the divisions and Europe.
Kane , Salah, Huyton Luton, Marriott of Peterboro, Akinfenwa , Ronaldo, Messi, Griesmann,Belotti of Torino. are all regulars. The problem is picking the right four.
Akinfenwa is due a turn usually around 4/1
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you