weekly horse bet
3 (3.3%)
football and horses frequently
21 (23.3%)
anything that moves whenever, wherever
7 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 90

theskull1

Gives the sat afternoon pinters plenty of mindless rubbish to get interested in whilst in the bar all day long. Part of the alpha males expected behavioural traits in pubs during the day hence why fools are more likely get involved and be easy meat for the bookie.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

snippets

I remember calling a few years ago at a fellas house to pick him up for work.  He was AWOL.  By the third day the oul boy took me inside giving off about the cub.  He had shacked up with some woman and was in the da s  words a useless lazy good for nothin etc.  He ranted on about how hard he had worked so he could retire young with plenty of money, and thon lazy so and so of a son etc. - now this guy was 40 odd in a council house, but I left impressed anyway, and happened to mention to soemone about this daddy guy in a bar.  The laziest of the laziest hoors I was told spend all day in bed and all night gambling online.  never done a days work in his life..  Abnout a month later the doode was also arrested for drug supplying.. bad bluffing lieing hoor... 
this bus aint gonna drive itself.

Milltown Row2

We will be heading down with our best seven's team. Was talking to one player he said they should win their group. After that its a lottery really. Too short a price for me
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Mickey Linden

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on September 14, 2011, 10:40:21 PM
Hurling bet for the weekend, now no real money but profit that you can build on

Thurles Sarsfields 1/7
Nenagh Eire Og   1/7
Erins Own           4/11
Clonkill                1/4

Other ones you can add would be De La Salle (but they didn't win last week)
Lismore and Clarinbridge. But being greedy means you might lose out

I like a gamble and would have a bet every week on horse racing/soccer/gaa/golf or a combiation of these.

Im going to take ur picks this weekend MR and have a go at it.

Id say I generally do well enough at punting and would break about even over the year if being honest.

Lone Shark

Wouldn't recommend Clarinbridge. They're entitled to be favourites, but that's an excellent up and coming St Thomas team, who need the win more than Clarinbridge do.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Lone Shark on September 15, 2011, 03:17:05 PM
Wouldn't recommend Clarinbridge. They're entitled to be favourites, but that's an excellent up and coming St Thomas team, who need the win more than Clarinbridge do.

Yes and that's why i left the out of the main bet, only if you're greedy. was down in Galway and watched their Minor team a couple of years ago wining the title against Loughrea, cracking game.

Hadn't heard of St Thomas's before that doing well at senior, so I'd err on the side of caution
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sea The Stars

I prefer gambling on horses as that is where the biggest edge can be found! Although I remember reading some Hugh Taylor advice saying to avoid Group and Grade Ones as the horses's strengths and weaknesses are well exposed to the bookmakers. However I concentrate on these kind of races as this is where information on runners are at a maximum. With variables such as form, ground, track, distance, breeding, running action, horse looks, weather, time of year, race conditions, trainer from, stats & trends, you will generally find a way to disagree with the bookmaker particularly as prices tend towards big numbers. E.g. A 33/1 shot might only be a 16/1 shot in your opinion - and that's a big edge. Not the kind of edge you will get punting on soccer and rugby. A horse at 3/1 that you feel is only 7/4 is also quite a big edge and I'd doubt you'll get that in any "match" either.

I like Donnelly Hollow's post and approach. Although, I am rarely an each-way backer myself. It's not something I disagree with, but the lure of the win is usually too good to resist! I guess my philosophy is study the form to find the winner. And analyse the prices after studying the form. Main thing is not to let the price act as a deterrant. In fact, the bigger the price, the better.

Events such as Cycling, Athletics and say the Olympics are also good to bet on. Bookmakers will not have anywhere near the resources or expertise to compile betting for such events. Now and again, you come across the odd event where one of the runner's price is woefully out from what it should be. If you're a gambler, a little bit of knowledge in less-bet events is a big help.

macdanger2

Good programme on RTÉ there about gambling addiction, I'd say it's a huge problem now with the easy access on your phone

Cunny Funt

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 23, 2018, 10:33:21 PM
Good programme on RTÉ there about gambling addiction, I'd say it's a huge problem now with the easy access on your phone
Very informative program not surprising none of the betting companies would come on the show for a chat.

macdanger2

There's a lot more horse racing on TV these days, a large portion of it sponsored by the gambling companies. That's something that could easily be restricted for a start

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Cunny Funt on April 23, 2018, 10:55:56 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on April 23, 2018, 10:33:21 PM
Very informative program not surprising none of the betting companies would come on the show for a chat.

Only bet what you can afford is the best policy, if you've an addiction then it's near on impossible to avoid betting advertising. Place a ban on these ads would be a start, football clubs being sponsored by betting companies should be banned also.. I know lads that are hooked and see ones on fb posting bets up which encourage others no doubt!

Insane Bolt

I would dread to think what I have gambled over the years, for years I was only a 50p Yankee and a £5 football bet on a Saturday, which progressed to betting every day. I was fortunate enough that I never got hooked and that I never gambled money I didn't have, but even now when I would do the occasional bet the same guys are on the gaming machines (which should be banned in my opinion). Only gamble with what you can afford to lose is wise advice.

JohnDenver

John Duggan (Today FM) on twitter had a good point about bookmakers banning / limiting accounts of successful punters, yet were more that happy to facilitate serial losers.

Should be some sort of consistency or regulation in that regard.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 24, 2018, 07:32:55 AM
I would dread to think what I have gambled over the years, for years I was only a 50p Yankee and a £5 football bet on a Saturday, which progressed to betting every day. I was fortunate enough that I never got hooked and that I never gambled money I didn't have, but even now when I would do the occasional bet the same guys are on the gaming machines (which should be banned in my opinion). Only gamble with what you can afford to lose is wise advice.
I'd say that's how many people start but it gets out of control.

TabClear

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 24, 2018, 08:29:04 AM
Quote from: Insane Bolt on April 24, 2018, 07:32:55 AM
I'd say that's how many people start but it gets out of control.

Those FOBT gaming machines seem to be one of the biggest problems. I would very rarely be in a bookies as on the odd occasions i do a bet its generally on the phone. But I know of at least 3 guys who have got into serious problems on those machines. I really cannot see the appeal of them but these guys would not generally have been big "traditional" gamblers as such, they would have done the odd football bet and Cheltenham  but you would hear stories of them sitting in the Bookies on these machines for hours on a Saturday. The numbers that they were rumored to be losing was scary.  I know the law has changed on these to reduce the maximum stakes etc which is a start.