Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: No1 on June 23, 2017, 11:42:34 AM
First sprint triathlon on Sunday in Bangor, absolutely shiteing it. 

No idea what to expect at the start or at transitions.  Swim is going to be very tough as I could barely do 2 lengths of a pool 3 months ago! 

Anyway, I've read through this thread and I'd be interested in a "top three" tips from any of you experienced fellas!

I am aiming for Dublin in August. I ducked out of the Bangor one as I am not ready for the swim. So swimming:

Open water is not like pool swimming.
1. Firstly you have a buoyant wetsuit so that makes it easier.
2. But also you no longer have the push-off from the pool ends which makes it harder.
3. Psychologically it is intimidating as  25m to safety looks nothing even if you intend to swim 30 lengths without stopping. Once you are in the sea it seems enormous, it saps confidence.
4. Most people around you will be swimming faster than you and it can force you to speed up. Don't do it. change in swimming speed from your norm can rip the oxygen from you and put you in trouble. Swim your own speed and in your own comfort zone. This is the most technical part of the race. Do not care if you come out the water dead last. Just make sure you come out the water.

The cycle:
The route is pretty flat so the distance will be no bother to you. I assume you can cycle fairly okay anyway? It's only 20km so a slow time to a fast time only has about 5 minutes in it unless you are a serious cyclist. Note - as you come in the last 500m try to straighten you back a bit and sit upright, don't be hunched over racing style. If you do, then when you jump off your bike your back may spasm and it will deny you breath for starting the run.

The run:
What can I say, its a straightforward 5km. Go your own pace, personally I think a steady pace you know you can do is best. Do not be put off by others. I like to try to put a bit of length in the stride for the last 1km-500m. It just feels good to be passing a couple of people as you come to the line.

I am just a beginner too. This year I am concentrating on Try-a-tri with about 5 races before trying the Dublin sprint triathlon in August. Next year I will try a schedule of sprints building hopefully to completing the full triathlon in Dublin. There is an excellent Try-a-tri and sprint triathlon in Athlone I am going to on July 8th.

Most of all good luck and let us know how you got on.

Milltown Row2

Have done this one a few years ago, the swim is easier than you think, nothing beats training in open water but like most people living here open water swiming isnt as easy to do than jumping in the pool...

A few tips.  get down  early and allow for traffic and whatever else can happen (Id a flat trye once on the way to a race!) hopefully your wet suit is easy to get on and not too tight as it can restrict movement and breathing (should you be hyperventalating!)

make sure you've your chip on, and you've registered

I was told by an experienced triathlete to swim as normally as you can, considering you have waves and other swimers to worry about, dont go in with the leaders stay mid, try and stay with a bunch as there is always a bit of drafting, which can help..

Once it becomes more difficult say to yourself you'll do 40 strokes and take a breather, then take another 40 strokes and just do what ya can to get round the buoy and head towards the finish... You'll have good support round you, other swimmers and the lads in the canoes.

I also headed down the day before, put my gear on and went for a paddlem, swim out a bit, turned and came back, did that a couple of times..

when you get out of the water just relax and put it behind you, youve 12 miles on the bike to do so chill out get the wet suit off, even get someone to help pull the cord down and away ya go

Cycling is fine, forget about what the brownlee boys can do, just get to the bike and dont forget anything and dont get on before the line

the first mile after the bike is the bit where you start to feel it, small strides at the start and hopefully you'll be lifting the pace...

As Pauld123 said, enjoy it, fantastic expereince great support and well run events throughout Ireland and beyond
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

Cheers for the tips fellas. Got round in 1:35. Was in the water for 26 minutes! Choppy as f**k, think I swallowed half the Irish Sea and whatever else is in there!  :o. Wind in the face for the whole 12 mile of the cycle. It was tough and I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't be in a rush to do another!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on June 25, 2017, 09:58:01 PM
Cheers for the tips fellas. Got round in 1:35. Was in the water for 26 minutes! Choppy as f**k, think I swallowed half the Irish Sea and whatever else is in there!  :o. Wind in the face for the whole 12 mile of the cycle. It was tough and I'm glad I did it but I wouldn't be in a rush to do another!

Well done, Great time too ..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tonto1888

Folks, if someone who doesn't run well and swims worse wanted to get into triathlons, where would they start?

trueblue1234

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 14, 2023, 04:50:58 PMFolks, if someone who doesn't run well and swims worse wanted to get into triathlons, where would they start?
Join a Tri club. They are great for pulling you along on the areas you're not good at. Or if you don't fancy that, go online and look at some videos. I did that earlier this year and did my first sprint one. Not setting any records but want to do a full one next year so going to keep plugging away at it. It's my cycling that lets me down.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Camlough do tri a tri thingy I think  ;)

It's grand to dip your toe in

Start with a pool one, Limavady do one in pool, as does Lisburn and Valley centre

trueblue1234

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 14, 2023, 06:43:20 PMCamlough do tri a tri thingy I think  ;)

It's grand to dip your toe in

Start with a pool one, Limavady do one in pool, as does Lisburn and Valley centre
Loughmacrory do a Tri a Tri as well. On same day as the sprint. Good crowds at it.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

tonto1888

Thanks for the replies all. My training has gone very flat lately and I'm finding it hard to get motivated. Thinking a change may be the way forward

jcpen

Anyone have any good resources for a decent Triathlon plan?
Not Tufll or from Laois

tonto1888

Quote from: jcpen on October 15, 2023, 02:45:51 PMAnyone have any good resources for a decent Triathlon plan?

https://www.macmillan.org.uk/assets/triathlon-training-plan-sprint-beginner.pdf

No idea how good this is or isnt but it's one I found