Triathlons

Started by qwerty123, July 24, 2011, 01:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrdeeds

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 19, 2016, 11:24:56 AM
Anyone see footage of the Brownlee brothers yesterday? Poor Jonny overcooked it and had to be carried over the line.

Is this legal? Saw it all right but surely you can't be carried over the line.

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: mrdeeds on September 19, 2016, 12:49:43 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 19, 2016, 11:24:56 AM
Anyone see footage of the Brownlee brothers yesterday? Poor Jonny overcooked it and had to be carried over the line.

Is this legal? Saw it all right but surely you can't be carried over the line.

Technically he wasn't carried over the line. He was carried to the line and push over it. Still I'm not sure if that is allowed. Either way, fair f**ks to his brother.

haranguerer

Help from another athlete differs to help from outside

Estimator

The ITU dismissed the Spanish Triathlon Federation's appeal to disqualify Jonny, because "athletes can receive help from another athlete".

From BBC Sport.. So there was nothing wrong with the actions of the brother.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Walt Jabsco

From ITU news item on their website

"Following an appeal by the Spanish Triathlon Federation to disqualify Jonathan Brownlee for accepting assistance from Alistair Brownlee to finish the 2016 ITU World Triathlon Grand Final Cozumel, during which Jonathan struggled with heat exhaustion in the final portion of the run, the ITU competition jury unanimously ruled against disqualifying Jonathan. The ITU Competition Jury made this decision in accordance to Appendix K, Rule 7, which states that athletes can receive help from another athlete, Technical Official or Race Official"
The rule was most probably intended for the use of help in regards to punctures on the bike section or more seriously in the swim section where an athlete is in grave danger

AZOffaly

Same thing happened in the Olympics with the women that crashed together didn't it?

Walt Jabsco

Was that not in the steeplechase where the uninjured athlete helped the other one to finish ?

AZOffaly

Quote from: Walt Jabsco on September 19, 2016, 03:25:48 PM
Was that not in the steeplechase where the uninjured athlete helped the other one to finish ?

Yep. I'd assume similar rules for all athletics events are in place re. 'outside' help.

Walt Jabsco

For T&F events I am definitely sure that outside help cannot be given. Although I was involved in a juvenile event where the Race Director allowed water to be given to athletes this was due to abnormally high temperatures, although any physical assistance was prohibited.

But the athlete in the Olympics was awarded the Pierre de Coubetaine medal for sportsmanship

Triathlons are different in that the courses are/can be spread out and aid is not always close at hand as it would be within a stadium or swimming pool.

As Alistair Brownlee said  The ITU did not make allowances for the prevailing conditions where a "black" heat warning was in place by shortening the distances of the 3 elements. The water was 30 degrees C like swimming in a hot bath and the humidity was up on 95%. As they did not make allowances he did not care if he had broken any rules, he possibly proffered this information to the technical officials/event referee.  The event officials have on hindsight realised that they should have shortened the distances after seeing the state of the athletes finishing.  The GB competitor Bishop was not in great shape either when he crossed the line 

manfromdelmonte

the two boys are animals

Tony Baloney

He was a like shopping trolley with a bust wheel. He must have just been going on autopilot til the brother picked him up.

No1

First sprint triathlon on Sunday in Bangor, absolutely shiteing it. 

No idea what to expect at the start or at transitions.  Swim is going to be very tough as I could barely do 2 lengths of a pool 3 months ago! 

Anyway, I've read through this thread and I'd be interested in a "top three" tips from any of you experienced fellas!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on June 23, 2017, 11:42:34 AM

No idea what to expect at the start or at transitions.  Swim is going to be very tough as I could barely do 2 lengths of a pool 3 months ago! 

Anyway, I've read through this thread and I'd be interested in a "top three" tips from any of you experienced fellas!

Open water swim or pool?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: No1 on June 23, 2017, 11:42:34 AM

you'll be grand if you've put in the training

No1

Open water, it's down at Ballyholme.  I've trained but still nervous about the swim.