2019 USFC SF Dún na nGall vs Tír Eoghain, Breffni, Saturday 8th June @5pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 26, 2019, 09:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone08

Quote from: JoG2 on May 29, 2019, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on May 29, 2019, 02:08:11 PM

Slightly different as Tyrone had 3 of their first team players taken off with injury inside the first half. Also the same Tyrone team that knocked monaghan out later on
Fermanagh held this Donegal firepower to 15 points, 3 of which were in added time at the end of the game when Fermanagh were chasing scores.

Donegal have attacking threats, so do Tyrone. Donegal played 2 out and out defenders against Fermanagh, namely McMenamin and McGee, otherwise they had 4 attack minded 'defenders' in McLoone, McHugh, Gallagher and McGrath, knowing they didn't need to be overly defensive against Fermanagh. I predict their personnel will change next day out to leave more protection for Magee and McMenamin, otherwise Tyrone's running game will hurt them. Both keepers will have a big influence, Donegal didn't lose a kickout the last day out, Tyrone will exert more pressure on them hopefully.

Both teams will fancy their chances in this one, going with Tyrone by a small margin with the players coming in from bench making a difference on the day.

The same Fermanagh that held Monaghan to 10 points last year. The same Monaghan that put 19 odd scores on Tyrone in Rd 1.

The Bearded One

Quote from: JoG2 on May 29, 2019, 03:16:07 PM
Quote from: The Bearded One on May 29, 2019, 02:08:11 PM
Fermanagh held this Donegal firepower to 15 points, 3 of which were in added time at the end of the game when Fermanagh were chasing scores.

Donegal have attacking threats, so do Tyrone. Donegal played 2 out and out defenders against Fermanagh, namely McMenamin and McGee, otherwise they had 4 attack minded 'defenders' in McLoone, McHugh, Gallagher and McGrath, knowing they didn't need to be overly defensive against Fermanagh. I predict their personnel will change next day out to leave more protection for Magee and McMenamin, otherwise Tyrone's running game will hurt them. Both keepers will have a big influence, Donegal didn't lose a kickout the last day out, Tyrone will exert more pressure on them hopefully.

Both teams will fancy their chances in this one, going with Tyrone by a small margin with the players coming in from bench making a difference on the day.

The same Fermanagh that held Monaghan to 10 points last year. The same Monaghan that put 19 odd scores on Tyrone in Rd 1.

The same Fermanagh who conceded 2-18 in an Ulster Final last year to Donegal.... but this Donegal team is building nicely you say. 

It was only my opinion and I backed it up with some reasoning, Donegal are a good side and are a real threat. Whoever wins will have to earn it.
It is what it is. Presumably.

greatpoint

Quote from: Redhand Santa on May 29, 2019, 01:42:56 PM
Quote from: ck on May 29, 2019, 12:50:47 PM
This has a Donegal win written all over it for me. Donegal probably have better players all over the park and certainly have better firepower. Tyrone will struggle to shut down Murphy, McBrearty, Brennan et al. I think Tyrone are very decent but compare their attacking threats and how they are depending on for scores, McShane and Donnelly who are probably midfielders more than attackers. Tyrones trump card is their sideline and their ability to make changes to win the game. I don't think Donegal possess that craft in Bonner. If it's tight Mickey Harte will come to the fore.. but I think Donegal will overpower them with their attack.

Donegal by 5

Couldn't agree with that at all. Tyrone have beaten Donegal 3 times in a row in the championship with a lot of the better players involved in both sides. Two of those victories where comfortable. Tyrone also operated in division 1 beating Dublin and Galway whereas Donegal struggled to get out division 2. If Donegal had better players all over the park I don't think these things would have happened.

I'd be happy enough now with the way we're playing that we've as much firepower if not more than Donegal. Murphy and McBreaty can both be hit and miss in big games.

The only game out of the last three that has been comfortable for Tyrone was 2017. In 2016 Donegal led for pretty much the entire game, losing to some wonder scores in injury time. Last year in Ballybofey Donegal led from before half time until around the 65th minute, that doesn't strike me as comfortable for Tyrone. You could be referring to the score but to be fair the second goal was scored in the 82nd minute, four minutes after injury time was supposed to have ended.

Anyway I'm hoping that Donegal win as we'll more than likely have to listen to Tyrone being hyped up going into the Super 8s otherwise. And we all know what happens when the Tyrone of this era have to play a semi-decent non-Ulster team in Croke Park.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: greatpoint on May 29, 2019, 04:09:39 PM
This has a Donegal win written all over it for me. Donegal probably have better players all over the park and certainly have better firepower. Tyrone will struggle to shut down Murphy, McBrearty, Brennan et al. I think Tyrone are very decent but compare their attacking threats and how they are depending on for scores, McShane and Donnelly who are probably midfielders more than attackers. Tyrones trump card is their sideline and their ability to make changes to win the game. I don't think Donegal possess that craft in Bonner. If it's tight Mickey Harte will come to the fore.. but I think Donegal will overpower them with their attack.

Donegal by 5

Couldn't agree with that at all. Tyrone have beaten Donegal 3 times in a row in the championship with a lot of the better players involved in both sides. Two of those victories where comfortable. Tyrone also operated in division 1 beating Dublin and Galway whereas Donegal struggled to get out division 2. If Donegal had better players all over the park I don't think these things would have happened.

I'd be happy enough now with the way we're playing that we've as much firepower if not more than Donegal. Murphy and McBreaty can both be hit and miss in big games.

The only game out of the last three that has been comfortable for Tyrone was 2017. In 2016 Donegal led for pretty much the entire game, losing to some wonder scores in injury time. Last year in Ballybofey Donegal led from before half time until around the 65th minute, that doesn't strike me as comfortable for Tyrone. You could be referring to the score but to be fair the second goal was scored in the 82nd minute, four minutes after injury time was supposed to have ended.

Anyway I'm hoping that Donegal win as we'll more than likely have to listen to Tyrone being hyped up going into the Super 8s otherwise. And we all know what happens when the Tyrone of this era have to play a semi-decent non-Ulster team in Croke Park.

I'd still call a 7 point win fairly comfortable. Tyrone were totally dominant in the final 20 minutes when it mattered.

I'd love to see Tyrone get a crack at Mayo or Kerry in croke park later in the year. It's been a few years since we did and I think we have taken over both since. Tyrone handled the Roscommon team that knocked out Mayo at the weekend convincingly in Croke Park last year.

J70

Quote from: tyrone08 on May 29, 2019, 02:42:01 PM

Donegal by 5

I would agree with this both McBreaty and Murphy have been marked out of it in numerous past games. Seem to be  lot of confidence in Donegal which should help Tyrone.

Donegal by 5

I would agree with this both McBreaty and Murphy have been marked out of it in numerous past games. Seem to be  lot of confidence in Donegal which should help Tyrone.

And no shortage of confidence coming from Tyrone either.

Does that help Donegal?

Fuzzman

This is great craic.
Finally a bit of the old GAA Discussion board banter.

I certainly wouldn't be as confident as some of my fellow county men.
I think we have changed and improved than where we were last year.
Playing Mattie and McShane in the FF line might be seen as some as a sign we don't have any good natural forwards but I think that's very naive thinking. I think Mickey has copied Dublin in that regard in that he holds back some excellent score getters until that final push.
Our games v Derry and Antrim will mean nothing to how we really play against a decent side and I would have Donegal 5th in Ireland at the moment. Things definitely went right for us in Ballybofey last year when it looked like we would lose being 4 points down at one stage.
For me kicking the ball in long to two good ball winners has improved us as an attacking force rather than playing a predictable running game. Saying that I expect both teams will be keen to protect possession as much as possible and I'll expect Frank Burns to maybe sit back in front of McBrearty.

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2019, 04:33:31 PM

Donegal by 5

Donegal by 5

Does that help Donegal?

Since we are a better team obviously no it doesnt

StephenC

Tyrone 4/7, draw 15/2, Donegal 7/4.

Very little confidence in Donegal but sure you lads can talk it up if it'll make posting more fun. Great to have Paddy back although MacNiallis's loss is huge. One of these days we are going to be harshly reminded of Neil McGee's age/mileage and I fear it could be in this game. Tyrone have the depth, the experience and the strength to edge it. Hoping for a close game but can't see us winning.

greatpoint

Just had a look at Tyrone (2018, 2017) and Donegal's (2018, 2016) last two championship games against Dublin in Croke Park to see how they fared respectively.

Interestingly Tyrone's average losing margin is nearly double that of Donegal's: 9 points compared to 5.

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 29, 2019, 05:21:44 PM

Donegal by 5

Donegal by 5

Does that help Donegal?

But sure why would Tyrone care if Donegal are confident then? :)

omaghjoe

Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2019, 05:44:57 PM

Donegal by 5

Donegal by 5

Does that help Donegal?

Personally I couldnt give a hoot
But i know its all the sweeter to take yous down when your tails are up, so maybe that has something to do with it.

tyrone08

http://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/299835

Wouldn't surprise me if donegal beat Tyrone but still can't explain how he's so very very confident

J70

J70

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 29, 2019, 05:51:38 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 29, 2019, 05:44:57 PM

Donegal by 5

Donegal by 5

Does that help Donegal?

Personally I couldnt give a hoot
But i know its all the sweeter to take yous down when your tails are up, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Er... Tyrone are fairly hot favourites for this, in case you hadn't noticed!