County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ck

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 05, 2019, 11:51:26 AM

Pádraic Joyce sounds confident in his first interview as Galway senior manager.

"A successful year one would be to start off winning the FBD league and then go on and win the National league, and then the All-Ireland. That's our aim – that's what we are aiming for straight away,"

"It might sound far-fetched to a lot of people. I'm not saying we are going to win the All-Ireland in two or three years' time, we are training for the 30th of August next year. That's when the final is on, that's when we are training for. And if we don't do that, I would see it as disappointment."

The words of a VERY inexperienced manager! Silly comment which will haunt him.

Blowitupref

Quote from: ck on November 12, 2019, 12:36:00 PM

"A successful year one would be to start off winning the FBD league and then go on and win the National league, and then the All-Ireland. That's our aim – that's what we are aiming for straight away,"

"It might sound far-fetched to a lot of people. I'm not saying we are going to win the All-Ireland in two or three years' time, we are training for the 30th of August next year. That's when the final is on, that's when we are training for. And if we don't do that, I would see it as disappointment."

Wasn't a spur of the moment comment from Joyce either as he's repeated a few times that Galway are training for next year's All Ireland final.

Walsh led Galway to All Ireland semi final so maybe he thinks he can go at least one better in his first year?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 12, 2019, 02:55:42 PM

Wasn't a spur of the moment comment from Joyce either as he's repeated a few times that Galway are training for next year's All Ireland final.

Walsh led Galway to All Ireland semi final so maybe he thinks he can go at least one better in his first year?

Hope they are training for the final and forget about the rest of us in the meantime so somebody can take them out! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Hound

Well why not?
Galway's 2019 form should be totally ignored. In reality, there's only two teams out there that are currently definitely better than them, Dublin and Kerry.
Yet they beat Kerry in 2018, and Kerry improved to draw with the Dubs in the AI final this year.
With everyone back fit and one or two new lads emerging, there's no reason why they shouldn't aim for the All Ireland final.

Yet, admitting ambition is bad thing in the GAA! You'll have plenty of keyboard warrior numpties who have already saved those comments, ready to dish them out each and every time Galway lose a match!

Blowitupref

Quote from: Hound on November 12, 2019, 03:10:56 PM

Well why not?
Galway's 2019 form should be totally ignored. In reality, there's only two teams out there that are currently definitely better than them, Dublin and Kerry.
Yet they beat Kerry in 2018, and Kerry improved to draw with the Dubs in the AI final this year.
With everyone back fit and one or two new lads emerging, there's no reason why they shouldn't aim for the All Ireland final.

Yet, admitting ambition is bad thing in the GAA! You'll have plenty of keyboard warrior numpties who have already saved those comments, ready to dish them out each and every time Galway lose a match!

Why ignore 2019 form? Hard to know how Galway will fare under Joyce, they are too inconistent to say only two teams are better than them in my view.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

rodney trotter

Joyce should have been saying, they aim to regain  the Connacht title and get out of the Super 8. They didn't  even each the Super 8s this year, so why over look it..  The Bullish talk is soon forgotten after a few bad results.

Cunny Funt

Castlebar Mitchels have announced the appointment of Alan Flynn as their Senior team manager.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 14, 2019, 12:50:28 AM
Castlebar Mitchels have announced the appointment of Alan Flynn as their Senior team manager.

Was he involved with Roscommon a few years ago?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gael85

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 15, 2019, 09:09:38 AM

He was coach with Clare for a year before went to Kildare

MayoBuck

Daniel Forde has left the Mayo backroom team.

manfromdelmonte

Well why not?
beaten twice by Roscommon in finals in 2017 and 2019
so the evidence suggests otherwise

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on November 15, 2019, 11:57:11 AM

Well why not?
beaten twice by Roscommon in finals in 2017 and 2019
so the evidence suggests otherwise

Roscommon beat Mayo this year as well. Didn't stop Mayo reaching an All-Ireland semi-final. Or Galway reaching a semi-final in 2018. Roscommon are a good side well capable of beating anyone on their day bar maybe Dublin.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 15, 2019, 09:09:38 AM

None that I know of. Leading Galway to the 2013 All Ireland at U21 level is what he's known mostly for. Was favourite to become Galway Senior manager before P Joyce threw his hat into the ring and he then decided to then pull out of the running

magpie seanie

Why is setting ambitious goals still seen as a no-no in the GAA? Have we not grown out of this "ara shure we'll turn up anyway" malarkey?

Cunny Funt

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 15, 2019, 04:58:30 PM
Why is setting ambitious goals still seen as a no-no in the GAA? Have we not grown out of this "ara shure we'll turn up anyway" malarkey?
Malarkey like Jim Gavin talking up the likes of Louth and Wicklow before playing them and saying he  and his players aren't looking past that "challenge"