The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

So I sorta followed it at the start.... thought it didnt look good for the accused after the complainants testimony but then thought it looked a lot for them after the "witness at the door" testimony.
Anything change in the meantime or is anyone willing to fill me in the key points from then on... Sorry... just too much shear crap online to waste my time trying to make sense of it

Orior

Quote from: Owen Brannigan on April 03, 2018, 08:38:46 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on April 03, 2018, 06:46:34 PM
Craig Gilroy has now been removed from the Ulster squad for this weekends match as Ulster rugby carries out a review following the rape trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43634687?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

What exactly did CG say?

I firmly believe that there is not a rape culture anywhere but in Ulster Rugby there is a shag competition.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Orior on April 04, 2018, 04:24:52 AM
Craig Gilroy has now been removed from the Ulster squad for this weekends match as Ulster rugby carries out a review following the rape trial.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-43634687?ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbc_news_ni&ns_source=twitter&ns_linkname=northern_ireland

What exactly did CG say?

I firmly believe that there is not a rape culture anywhere but I'm Ulster Rugby there is a shame competition.
He sent a direct message to one of the defendants asking "did any sluts get fucked?" Not exactly charming but I think it's a bit much chasing a fella for a private message sent to a mate. He has apologised so people would be better moving on. It doesn't take long for these things to turn into a witch hunt.

Orior

I watched The Inbetweeners last night and laughed at a couple of scenes. Oh dear, how bad am I?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 04, 2018, 08:20:08 AM
Quote from: Orior on April 04, 2018, 04:24:52 AM

What exactly did CG say?

I firmly believe that there is not a rape culture anywhere but I'm Ulster Rugby there is a shame competition.
He sent a direct message to one of the defendants asking "did any sluts get fucked?" Not exactly charming but I think it's a bit much chasing a fella for a private message sent to a mate. He has apologised so people would be better moving on. It doesn't take long for these things to turn into a witch hunt.

The IRFU are already under severe pressure within their own internal structures around gender equality and the branches are reviewing their own governance and bye-laws to ensure gender equality is reflected properly. Having high profile players writing messages albeit privately that at best could be labeled disrespectful and worst down right misogynist compounds the impression that the IRFU is an old boys club. These players do have behaviour clauses within their contracts so internal review processes have to be followed, this obviously couldn't have been completed while awaiting or during the trial.
#newbridgeornowhere

Syferus

it takes something special to call suspending a player with a morals clause caught saying shît like that a witch hunt. IRFU can't be soft on players if it wants to maintain some integrity.

The sheer din of odious stupidity from Orior hasn't stopped I see. Rape culture doesn't exsist. Righto, kid.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Syferus on April 04, 2018, 09:29:53 AM
it takes something special to call suspending a player with a morals clause caught saying shît like that a witch hunt. IRFU can't be soft on players if it wants to maintain some integrity.

The sheer din of odious stupidity from Orior hasn't stopped I see. Rape culture doesn't exsist. Righto, kid.

Syferus you must have slept through your teens and twenties and woke up when you hit 60!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

Re. this and Dinny's post, I have no issue with him getting his knuckles rapped within an employment context. What I have an issue with is keyboard warriors baying for blood and setting out to ruin the career of someone for a misdemeanour.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 04, 2018, 09:50:22 AM

Re. this and Dinny's post, I have no issue with him getting his knuckles rapped within an employment context. What I have an issue with is keyboard warriors baying for blood and setting out to ruin the career of someone for a misdemeanour.

Stop posting up rubbish. Nobody has been "baying for blood" or conducting a witch hunt about Gilroy. You have an issue with something that's a figment of your imagination.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 09:53:58 AM

Stop posting up rubbish. Nobody has been "baying for blood" or conducting a witch hunt about Gilroy. You have an issue with something that's a figment of your imagination.
Listen sweetheart when I'm posting something directed at you, you'll be the first to know about it.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 04, 2018, 10:05:34 AM

Listen sweetheart when I'm posting something directed at you, you'll be the first to know about it.

That's the trouble though with posting on an internet forum. Anyone can read it so if it's complete horseshit there's a good chance people will point that out. Carry on though.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 04, 2018, 10:27:21 AM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 04, 2018, 10:05:34 AM

That's the trouble though with posting on an internet forum. Anyone can read it so if it's complete horseshit there's a good chance people will point that out. Carry on though.

;D ;D I havent seen you reply to yourself yet
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hardy

The Ulster rugby playing staff seems to be disproportionately populated with an odd combination of adolescent-minded cretins boosting each others' repressed sexual confidence on the one hand and evangelical Holy-Joe God-botherers on the other. Or maybe they're fingers of the same hand?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Hardy on April 04, 2018, 11:56:47 AM
The Ulster rugby playing staff seems to be disproportionately populated with an odd combination of adolescent-minded cretins boosting each others' repressed sexual confidence on the one hand and evangelical Holy-Joe God-botherers on the other. Or maybe they're fingers of the same hand?

Good Second Captains podcast with Richie Sadlier and Sinead O'Carroll (the Journal) there recently on related issues. Sadlier talks about the mentality of professional sportsmen.....quite interesting. Well worth a listen.

brokencrossbar1

If any of you think that the messages in this WhatsApp group are not reflective of lots of other non-Ulster rugby type 'lads' groups then you're very blind and innocent. The advent of technology has allowed men to brag and boast about their adolescent, boorish sex lives the way most groups of young men did over the years but now with a bit more spontaneous interaction and unfortunately worse language. This doesn't mean they are all sexual predators. It means they are assholes. And this notion of privilege is nothing to do with Ulster rugby and everything to do with modern 'millennial ' thinking. Freedom of communication, freedom of travel, excess alcohol and drugs, reasonable amount of surplus cash, and a level of expectation in terms of what the world owes them has seen the behaviour of young adults, men and women, change dramatically. Guess what though folks, you and I have helped create this phenomenon. Society has created them and concepts like 'no losers' in sport and every kid getting a medal from a very early age has meant that there are lowering levels of boundaries. Kids get what they want at whatever age they are and as a result when they get to young adult stage they have high expectations and low levels of tolerance. I see it in my own kids and it's a daily battle particularly when there's two opposing forces trying to instill a level of controls.

The rugby players should not have 'morality' clauses in their contracts. There should be no need for them but there is because of the way the world turns now. Control is being subjugated at a very young age by parenting through technology and lack of controls. I don't think that this is the only reason and certainly I would not suggest that the likes of PJ was left in front of a tv screen. Probably the complete opposite but in a world where peers show scant regards for the others in the world then the influence is always there. Jackson and the rest involved here are not reflective of a 'rape' culture. They are reflective of a culture where the levels of respect that people have for each other is diminishing day on day. This is actually reflected very candidly through this thread where people very quickly took diametrically opposed sides and didn't allow the case to develop and woe betide anyone who aopposed their views as they were ridiculed and belittled. This is the way of this board now, this is the way of the world now.