The GPA

Started by heganboy, November 14, 2012, 01:04:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

Counties like  Carlow or Louth have no chance of competing with Dublin  unless they step up the drink and  cigarette smuggling or bring back the beet factory. All players at county level should have equal access to equal training facilities and be paid at least 500 euro  a week frrom March  to September. 
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bud Wiser on November 30, 2012, 11:42:14 AM
Counties like  Carlow or Louth have no chance of competing with Dublin  unless they step up the drink and  cigarette smuggling or bring back the beet factory. All players at county level should have equal access to equal training facilities and be paid at least 500 euro  a week frrom March  to September.

I thought you said the hook was being put away?

Rossfan

Not much point telling Counties with small populations like us, Layhthrum, Sligo etc etc to get a sponsorship officer.
We could get 50 sponsorship officers and we'd still be doing well to raise €50 or €60k in a year as we haven't got the population to entice big Commercial entities to throw a load of dosh at us.
Leitrim have a hotel after a local International Company dropped their jersey sponsorship while we have one generous man from Castlerea trying to help the Hospice movement.
That's a long way from Vodafones alleged €6m over 3 years.
Even Cork are being dumped by O2 ........
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

Quote from: Rossfan on November 30, 2012, 02:50:56 PM
That's a long way from Vodafones alleged €6m over 3 years.

Nothing alleged about €6m over three years. It's a maximum, based on targets (as already posted on previous page) of €1m p.a over six years depending on performances of 6 x teams in both codes.

Bud Wiser

Quote€1m p.a over six years depending on performances of 6 x teams in both codes.

Dear Dessie,

I have to say at the outset of this communication that I am furious at the lack of progress in getting the players in the GPA a proper wage. I have attached a quote from a GAA Internet Forum where you can see that 6 Dublin teams are getting €1 Million a year - depending on their performance.

This is pittance, say six teams with a panel of 25 and a million split between them comes in at a measly €126.60 cent a week, the same rate as was suggested when the GPA was first formed - I know because at a match in Parnell Park against Galway in 2001 you were playing and you hit a wide from an impossible angle and some smart arse shouted "Is that what you want €126 a week for?.  Anyway, the crux we have is that if all counties were to pay their players what they deserve, €500 a week,  each county would want to have sponsorship of exactly four times what the Dubs are getting.

In a nutshell, counting in London, we want 33 sponsorships of €4 Million a year which is a total of €132 Million. (I have excluded New York by offsetting them by way of giving f**k all to Cork) I am not much concerned about the economy or drop in gate receipts, we must be positive and aim high, I saw there a few weeks ago where the FAI had a crowd from Derry and I think Sligo playing their FA Cup Final at Aviva in front of 41,000 and some of their boyos are on €3,000 a week for Jaysus sake.

The other thing that concerns me is this "performance related" issue. Can you imagine some poor Dub trying to take a penalty that will either put them into the All-Ireland Quarter Finals or out of the Championship and some little whore from Tyrone shouting in at him " Hey, you miss this you lose a million" or worse, the poor lad knowing it himself before he takes the kick.  Having said that, I haven't seen the actual sponsorship contract so the sponsors may not be that regimental, perhaps instead of removing sponsorship they might have included provisions for a simple flogging while tied to the goalpost down at Hill 16.

Let me know if you have any resolutions or ideas regarding the above because them yobos down in Cork are starting to make noises again and the last thing we want on our hands is attention being drawn to us on the same week as the toughest budget in history is about to be unleashed on all of us.

Regards,
T.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Eamonnca1

Bud Wiser

I see and hear on TV3 that a club down in Limerick have to call in the Gardai beceuse of fifty thousand pounds missing. Placing large amounts of money in temptation of persons who are tempted to put their hand in the biscuit tin will become more of an issue, not just in GAA Clubs but across all organizeations in the next few years.

The GAA are fortunate they have suvh a professional representative body like the GPA and it would be far better if all these 50k's were collected up and sent to Drumcondra and let the GPA distribute it.

Later today I hope to have news on what to do to eliminate this type of affliction that is infecting the GAA. We are already providing a serious amount of support for lads who cant pass by a bookie shop or are engaged with the affliction of On-Line gambling and it should be remembered that we are here to scoop up as much money for players as we can, not run a frigging Carmelite Friary or a Dochas Centre.

Meanwhile, can we ask that everyone keeps their fingers out of the biscuit tins, at least until after the budget tomorrow. Is that too much to ask ?

DuffleKing

Reflects well on you to associate a criminal act of theft in one of our constituent clubs with the GPA for the sake of feeding your preoccupation with them

NaomhBridAbú

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 04, 2012, 09:49:35 AM

Reflects well on you to associate a criminal act of theft in one of our constituent clubs with the GPA for the sake of feeding your preoccupation with them

+1
in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king. but he still only has one eye

Rossfan

Bud needs to go back on his tablets pronto  ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Bud Wiser

You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as yourselves. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

It is happening all the time and not always discovered and those who put temptation in the way are not to blame. They are just thick or stupid and know no better in the majority of cases. Thats why we need a body like the GPA that can add a more professional touch to things. Pilferage of club money, palming of money at admission points to games where they still use biscuit tins is ultimately a loss to the players wages fund and if clubs or county boards cant protect that then the GPA should.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 05, 2012, 06:09:58 AM
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as yourselves. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

It is happening all the time and not always discovered and those who put temptation in the way are not to blame. They are just thick or stupid and know no better in the majority of cases. Thats why we need a body like the GPA that can add a more professional touch to things. Pilferage of club money, palming of money at admission points to games where they still use biscuit tins is ultimately a loss to the players wages fund and if clubs or county boards cant protect that then the GPA should.

That's a bit of a serious allegation.  Got any proof of that?

Your comparison of the GAA to the Catholic Church's systematic cover-up and facilitation of child abusers is noted. I'm trying to resist the urge to lower myself to dignifying that with any further response.

heffo

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 05, 2012, 06:02:22 AM
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as Duffle King. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

Your overall point is a good one Bud but I don't see the GPA as having any interest oir having any remit in getting involved in such issues.

I would say that the deterrent to a club officer/Treasurer pilfering funds is good club structures, a strong committee and a turnover of officers in line with the GAA club constitution.

You still hear of clubs where they've had the same Treasurer or Secretary for the last 45 years - not healthy.

deiseach

Quote from: Bud Wiser on December 05, 2012, 06:02:22 AM
You are beginning to sound like the Bishops when the priests were abusing  children all over the country. A bit like those who jump to defend the great name of the gaa when a criminal in a media report is referred to as a member of the gaa. You dont need to be on tablets to know  that with the economy the way it is, that there are people on the bread line and many not as smug as Duffle King. Putting sums of 50k in the way of someone who has not got food forthemselves or clothes for their children is no longer an option. When I referred to people putting their hands in the biscuit tin in an earlier post I was unaware of the story that wss about to break over the 50k but I am not that stupid to believe that a similar story to the one with the 50K could not emerge next week.

Have to protect people from themselves . . . strong leadership required . . . protecting our interests . . . he who has steel has bread . . . okay, maybe not the last part, but I've seen less emotive talk from people who were subsequently found to be plotting a coup.

Bud Wiser

Since my laptop drank a mug of Lyons Tea I am using phone so old Bud is not as fast on phone as you younv lads.
On the issue of "have I got any  proof" please go to our mutual friend Mr Google and ask him 'gaa theft'  'gaa fraud'  'gaa money missing'  and come back to me in a weeks time if ye need any more help.

I did not compare the GAA with Bishops in denial, I compared anyone who didnt believe vthat money goes missing from GAA clubs with them and when it comes to dignity a lot of them are still falling short.

Mr Google will tell you that the Ali Baba's in my own county were not afraid to put their hand in the biscuit tin either and if the Vikings came up the Shannon in the morning they would have a hard job match funding the dippers. I remember years ago Laois were playing Cork in a league match and there was a young lad collecting sliothars that went over the wall into the field when all his birthdays came together. A bag with a rock in it and two hundred pound sailed over and he handed it in to Porlaoise Gardai and got it for himself after a yesr and a day because it was never
claimed. I try and console myself on this one by pretending it might have been the share of the gate due to the Cork boys.  To avoid turning this thread into a 'money missing' thread and to get back to the opening question, there are other reasons why I have softened toward the GPA although I have reservations about the Cork boys presence and I would be against them for their tendency to go on parade around the streets if they dont grt their way but shur my next letter to the real leaders will resolve that.