Started by nearlymad, June 02, 2020, 12:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Mourne Red on June 23, 2020, 07:46:23 PM
Quote from: general_lee on June 23, 2020, 05:23:29 PM
Quote from: nearlymad on June 23, 2020, 04:55:54 PM
  More tripe not related to the Topic this was originally started for. >:( >:(
Down Championship are on this evening.
Has (or will) a new name been decided on?

OrĂ¡iste O'Lodge

I'm sure OrĂ¡iste will form part of their jersey.

nearlymad

East Belfast v Castlewellan in the 1st Rc of the JHC
East Belfast v.Dundrum in the 1st Rd of the JFC

MoChara

some strange Tweets about Ulster Scotch now as well lol

Godsown

Scotch is a whiskey . Ulster Scots is a dialect of English language normally associated with North Down and parts of Antrim

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: MoChara on June 25, 2020, 02:20:20 PM

Funding

armaghniac

Quote from: Fear Bun Na Sceilpe on June 25, 2020, 10:18:08 PM
Quote from: MoChara on June 25, 2020, 02:20:20 PM

Funding

However, they should do some sort of Shinty compromise game against a Presbyterian team as well, just to get broaden the agenda.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

nearlymad

East Belfast's first fixture:
Div 4 Round 1 Friday 17th July at 7.30pm
St Michael's v East Belfast

tyroneman

Quote from: Godsown on June 25, 2020, 05:13:26 PM
Scotch is a whiskey . Ulster Scots is a dialect of English language normally associated with North Down and parts of Antrim

Scotch is a whisky, Jameson is a whiskey

imtommygunn

Where are the home games being played at? Is it cherryvale? (not quite east belfast i know but not sure where else they would play).

Maiden1

Quote from: nearlymad on July 01, 2020, 11:05:46 PM
There have been a few clubs come and gone in last 25 years or so in Down

Ballela
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

I think 1 of the biggest issues will be that they will probably take a lot of beatings in the first few years unless they can get a few 1/2 decent players and it hard to keep the interest up if that is the case.  St Michael's might be 1 of the easier fixtures to start of with but it is a long way to Magheralin.  It will probably seem like a long drive on a Friday night from Dundrum if a lot of the players are only learning how to toe tap a ball and they take a bit of a beating.  Hurling even more so I am not sure at senior level it will be possible to be competitive unless they can get mostly players who have played before.  Underage they should be fine if they have the numbers and half decent coaches.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

johnnycool

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 02, 2020, 01:27:39 PM

Ballela
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

I think 1 of the biggest issues will be that they will probably take a lot of beatings in the first few years unless they can get a few 1/2 decent players and it hard to keep the interest up if that is the case.  St Michael's might be 1 of the easier fixtures to start of with but it is a long way to Magheralin.  It will probably seem like a long drive on a Friday night from Dundrum if a lot of the players are only learning how to toe tap a ball and they take a bit of a beating.  Hurling even more so I am not sure at senior level it will be possible to be competitive unless they can get mostly players who have played before.  Underage they should be fine if they have the numbers and half decent coaches.

Balella are still going at the hurling.

I'd say East Belfast could avail of the GAA pitch in Ormeau Park if they're stuck.

Maiden1

Quote from: johnnycool on July 03, 2020, 09:30:53 AM

Ballela
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

I'd say East Belfast could avail of the GAA pitch in Ormeau Park if they're stuck.
Yeah they tried football for a season in the mid 90s but they took a lot of bad beatings and stopped.  Football should be easier if you have played rugby and are fairly fit you should be able to catch and kick the ball.  Not sure hurling will work well unless more or less all the players have played a bit before and are now living in East Belfast.

I saw the other day that Ballygalget lost out to Loughinisland in an Intermediate league decider in 1968, things could have been different if they had won that game :)

armaghniac

East Belfast should have some chance of getting some players with experience who gave moved to Belfast.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

johnnycool

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 03, 2020, 09:49:24 AM

Ballela
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

Yeah they tried football for a season in the mid 90s but they took a lot of bad beatings and stopped.  Football should be easier if you have played rugby and are fairly fit you should be able to catch and kick the ball.  Not sure hurling will work well unless more or less all the players have played a bit before and are now living in East Belfast.

I saw the other day that Ballygalget lost out to Loughinisland in an Intermediate league decider in 1968, things could have been different if they had won that game :)

My Da would have played on that team and by his own admission they'd a few handy footballers but also more than their fare share of course christians with one particular team never stripping out in the changing rooms and always parking on the roadside for a quick getaway...

Better for everyone that they gave up the football then.

Maiden1

Quote from: johnnycool on July 06, 2020, 09:45:55 AM
Quote from: Maiden1 on July 03, 2020, 09:49:24 AM

Ballela
Killyleagh
Ballykinlar

My Da would have played on that team and by his own admission they'd a few handy footballers but also more than their fare share of course christians with one particular team never stripping out in the changing rooms and always parking on the roadside for a quick getaway...

Better for everyone that they gave up the football then.
haha better to let them on to the field with hurly sticks then ;D