Gaels amalgamations

Started by The Monument Road, December 02, 2016, 01:18:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Draper

Quote from: From the Terrace on February 08, 2019, 11:34:37 AM
im not sure area teams would work in laois. I think when it would come down to the crunch with the area teams, clubs would hold back players. The idea 3 clubs form into one would be a disaster for communities all over the county. The county board needs to reduce the number of senior to 10/12 imo, thus improving the standard of our intermediate & junior championships.
I very much doubt the players would allow that happen.

High Fielder

I agree. Keep it simple. The top tier is over crowded and it's really as simple as that. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that having so many teams has brought about an improvement in standard, and besides, the balance between Senior and Intermediate is not right. We have teams who are Senior in name only and it's the same at Intermediate.

Regarding players at lower levels. I think we may forget this notion of area teams. It won't happen. Not in Laois. We don't like each other enough to have cosy arrangements. I think we need to put forward a motion at the next Congress that allows a player (as an individual) to play with a Senior club where this doesn't affect his participation in his own club's championship. And to avoid any confrontation, there needs to be a rule about giving priority to his parent club so that the next game he plays (after injury for instance) will always be for his parent club.

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on February 08, 2019, 12:05:19 PM
I agree. Keep it simple. The top tier is over crowded and it's really as simple as that. I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that having so many teams has brought about an improvement in standard, and besides, the balance between Senior and Intermediate is not right. We have teams who are Senior in name only and it's the same at Intermediate.

Regarding players at lower levels. I think we may forget this notion of area teams. It won't happen. Not in Laois. We don't like each other enough to have cosy arrangements. I think we need to put forward a motion at the next Congress that allows a player (as an individual) to play with a Senior club where this doesn't affect his participation in his own club's championship. And to avoid any confrontation, there needs to be a rule about giving priority to his parent club so that the next game he plays (after injury for instance) will always be for his parent club.
Rubbish, the players are grand. They got on grand in the area sides already. Its the auld c***ts who keep on these stupid grudges. And if some clubs don't want to buy in, they can f**k right off.

High Fielder

I agree with you 100%. But we flog dead horses for sport in Laois, and we get nowhere as a result. In the background, players are still getting poached as you rightly pointed out above. That gate needs to be closed once and for all and I'm not convinced it ever will be while we kick area teams around for the next 20 years

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on February 08, 2019, 12:13:21 PM
I agree with you 100%. But we flog dead horses for sport in Laois, and we get nowhere as a result. In the background, players are still getting poached as you rightly pointed out above. That gate needs to be closed once and for all and I'm not convinced it ever will be while we kick area teams around for the next 20 years
Why not bring it in for 3-5 years? If it fails, worst case scenario, you've trimmed the championship by half a dozen teams.

BallyroanAbu

I see no reason why we can't try divisional sides, there is an appetite for it at the moment.

High Fielder

Quote from: Don Draper on February 08, 2019, 01:46:51 PM
Why not bring it in for 3-5 years? If it fails, worst case scenario, you've trimmed the championship by half a dozen teams.

You're preaching to the converted. I'm all for it. The turkeys in the senior clubs will not vote for this particular brand of Christmas. You can see in recent events the great lengths some clubs are going to to hold on to what they have

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on February 08, 2019, 02:39:04 PM
Quote from: Don Draper on February 08, 2019, 01:46:51 PM

You're preaching to the converted. I'm all for it. The turkeys in the senior clubs will not vote for this particular brand of Christmas. You can see in recent events the great lengths some clubs are going to to hold on to what they have
What's the percentages needed to bring this through? Some senior clubs would be in favour, I don't think there's numbers in those circling the drain to stop it if it goes to a well whipped vote.

High Fielder

I'd be surprised if any Senior club voted for this. I hope you're right Don. BA seems confident that there's good support for it but I think that's from players. Do players matter? (tongue in cheek)

Don Draper

Quote from: High Fielder on February 08, 2019, 02:48:52 PM
I'd be surprised if any Senior club voted for this. I hope you're right Don. BA seems confident that there's good support for it but I think that's from players. Do players matter? (tongue in cheek)
Portlaoise would. You'd be surprised the others who would too. A clutter of Junior and Intermediate Clubs with a few hurling ones (the cases of Tyrell etc would rally them) would get it through I'd reckon.

Heshs Umpire

I think that a proposal to reduce the number of senior football clubs would have a good chance of success and some senior clubs would support it.
I suppose any of 7 or 8 of the current senior clubs could reasonably easily be relegated any year and then be glad of the chance for their better players to play with a senior area team.
Well I could keep it above
But then it wouldn't be sky anymore

BallyroanAbu

8 may be too radical but say 12 in total, with two divisional teams.

High Fielder

And how would you decide who takes the drop?

BallyroanAbu

Have utterly no idea, but it can't be instant.

Don Draper