Kerry v Tyrone All Ireland Semi Final 11th August 2019 - Post match analysis

Started by Owen Brannigan, August 11, 2019, 05:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonto1888

3 frees for Kerry in the first 11 mins of the second half. 1 was very soft. Two definite frees

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:30:18 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 11, 2019, 07:28:36 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:23:13 PM
Quote from: Angelo on August 11, 2019, 07:19:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 11, 2019, 07:17:40 PM
On the Sludden incident. Geaney was very sneaky how he did that. I don't think any other refs would have had any other conclusion. I think it was too sneaky to be caught by anything other than tv.

Tyrone were in possession of the ball, he could have let play develop and then brought it back when it had stopped, instead he threw the ball in. Referees should never make assumptions, Deegan was going around there today making green and gold tinted assumptions on every decision.

He looked round and seen two players wrestling on the ground. What did you want him to do. Kerry got a soft enough free more or less straight after and scored. Then Tyrone okayed sone lovely football got the ball to slidden who missed when it was easier to score. Can't blame the ref on that. Kerry went straight down the pitch and scored. 2 points in it. Should have been 4

Play on and not make an assumption. What did you want him to do? Make a guess? Why would Sludden have wanted Tyrone to lose a possession in a dangerous area of the pitch? Of course you can't blame the referee for Tyrone mistake, but you can certainly blame him for making guesses which were completely and utterly incorrect and had a tangible impact on the scoreboard. Deegan had an undue impact on the game today, it's not the first time this has happened with Kerry.
Play on when there are two people wrestling in front of him? Really?
Yes. Would soon stop players getting involved in shite if the games going on without them. You'd feel like some gobshite if you were getting involved in handbags and your man went up and scored a goal.

tonto1888

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:32:11 PM
On the Sludden incident. Geaney was very sneaky how he did that. I don't think any other refs would have had any other conclusion. I think it was too sneaky to be caught by anything other than tv.

Tyrone were in possession of the ball, he could have let play develop and then brought it back when it had stopped, instead he threw the ball in. Referees should never make assumptions, Deegan was going around there today making green and gold tinted assumptions on every decision.

He looked round and seen two players wrestling on the ground. What did you want him to do. Kerry got a soft enough free more or less straight after and scored. Then Tyrone okayed sone lovely football got the ball to slidden who missed when it was easier to score. Can't blame the ref on that. Kerry went straight down the pitch and scored. 2 points in it. Should have been 4

Play on and not make an assumption. What did you want him to do? Make a guess? Why would Sludden have wanted Tyrone to lose a possession in a dangerous area of the pitch? Of course you can't blame the referee for Tyrone mistake, but you can certainly blame him for making guesses which were completely and utterly incorrect and had a tangible impact on the scoreboard. Deegan had an undue impact on the game today, it's not the first time this has happened with Kerry.
Indirect free to the team who had the ball!!

Two players wrestling on the ground and you want a free for the team who had the ball? Really?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:09:53 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2019, 05:56:11 PM
Thought Tyrone were Deegan'd personally.  3 terrible decisions, 3 points for Kerry at the start of the second half shifted momentum towards Kerry. Really can't see Kerry getting within 7.
This, for me. He brought Kerry right into the game. Tyrone were the better team over the course of the game. That said, they failed to make it count. Harsh to point a finger at one player but McGeary totally fcuked it today.

Can't see how you come that conclusion. Better in the first half by some distance but still didn't put Kerry away. Kerry by far the better team in the second half and did put Tyrone away. The frees were soft but not frees that you haven't seen given in other games. There are very soft frees given in every game as far as I can see. I think Tyrone would be fooling themselves if they focused on the ref too much.
I watched the game.

And still came to that conclusion? Fair enough.
Absolutely. The ref dragged Kerry back into it with some terrible decisions at the start of the 2nd half. Tyrone fcuked it away at times (McGeary, in particular). They also didn't take their chances. In general though, they played the better football in the game.

My 1st post, written again, in different words.

Again, fair enough but would disagree. Kerry lost the first half but won the second half. I'm open to correction but when Tyrone were on top in the first half they didn't have many wides. Kerry missed more in the first half albeit due to good Tyrone defending in many cases. There were definitely some poor decisions by the ref and it certainly helped Kerry but I don't think Tyrone were in any way the better team. Kerry played them poorly in the first half and Tyrone couldn't make enough of it. Once Kerry sorted themselves out and made adjustments they pulled away and won fairly comfortably.

No offence but i hate that type of comment when a team wins a contest by just 1 score.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

APM

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2019, 07:19:30 PM

I think a few lost the heads after this. Fair play Kerry. Ricey et al did this.

Spot on O'Neill! Don't remember Tyrone supporters complaining when Gormley and Ricey using similar methods to get under the Gooch's skin.  Unfortunately there aren't more like you that can take a mature look at things and I include supporters of my own county in that.  When it came down to it today in the second half, a group of young Kerry players, led by Moran, Geaney et al, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, kept their heads and bossed Tyrone in the 3rd quarter. The Flat Track Bullies missed several handy scores and lost their heads when it was put up to them.

Also, I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the commentary today on RTE.  Kerry 2-3 pts down and to listen to Ger Canning / Dessie Dolan you would have thought there was 10 pts in it.  Tyrone's big problem was that for all their dominance in the first half, they didn't show it on the scoreboard.  They can have all the complaints they like about soft frees, but after all the diving and cheap frees they have bought down the years, there'll not be too many tears for them elsewhere in the country.

Angelo

Who was wrestling? Sludden has his two hands up in the air showing he was trying to get up?

The alternative you are suggesting is that referees should be going around the pitch trying to second guess what just happened, you surely have to realise how absurd it is what you are suggesting?

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Zulu

Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2019, 07:26:14 PM
When Deegan looked at it, it was Sludden on top of his man. Impossible to call.

At the time I actually thought it was Sludden who dragged Geaney to take a defender out of the play but on the replay it was clearly Geaney who was holding on to Sludden. He should have just told the lads to get up and get on with it unless either himself or a linesman saw what happened. Once he stopped play to deal with it I think he might have had to restart with a throw in. If it had been an injury stoppage Tyrone would get to restart as the team in possession but for that incident I think he had to restart with a throw in, though open to correction.

It was a terrible decision but one that many refs make.

tonto1888

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:34:53 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:33:00 PM

Two players wrestling on the ground and you want a free for the team who had the ball? Really?
Obviously. He doesn't know who started it.
If Dublin are playing keep ball with 5 to go, what's to stop Kerry starting a wrestling match to get a hop ball?

If he doesn't know who started it why give a free to any team?
Absolutely nothing. Sure Dublin were more or less at that craic in the 2017 final

Angelo

Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:32:22 PM
3 frees for Kerry in the first 11 mins of the second half. 1 was very soft. Two definite frees

Soft????

2 were very very soft and likely not frees, one was never a free in a million years.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

imtommygunn

You're kind of losing the run of yourself here Angelo...

Hs that could happen though is unlikely to.

Zulu

Quote from: Blowitupref on August 11, 2019, 07:33:10 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:28:23 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:19:11 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:09:53 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 11, 2019, 07:07:44 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 06:31:07 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 11, 2019, 05:56:11 PM
Thought Tyrone were Deegan'd personally.  3 terrible decisions, 3 points for Kerry at the start of the second half shifted momentum towards Kerry. Really can't see Kerry getting within 7.
This, for me. He brought Kerry right into the game. Tyrone were the better team over the course of the game. That said, they failed to make it count. Harsh to point a finger at one player but McGeary totally fcuked it today.

Can't see how you come that conclusion. Better in the first half by some distance but still didn't put Kerry away. Kerry by far the better team in the second half and did put Tyrone away. The frees were soft but not frees that you haven't seen given in other games. There are very soft frees given in every game as far as I can see. I think Tyrone would be fooling themselves if they focused on the ref too much.
I watched the game.

And still came to that conclusion? Fair enough.
Absolutely. The ref dragged Kerry back into it with some terrible decisions at the start of the 2nd half. Tyrone fcuked it away at times (McGeary, in particular). They also didn't take their chances. In general though, they played the better football in the game.

My 1st post, written again, in different words.

Again, fair enough but would disagree. Kerry lost the first half but won the second half. I'm open to correction but when Tyrone were on top in the first half they didn't have many wides. Kerry missed more in the first half albeit due to good Tyrone defending in many cases. There were definitely some poor decisions by the ref and it certainly helped Kerry but I don't think Tyrone were in any way the better team. Kerry played them poorly in the first half and Tyrone couldn't make enough of it. Once Kerry sorted themselves out and made adjustments they pulled away and won fairly comfortably.

No offence but i hate that type of comment when a team wins a contest by just 1 score.

I thought Kerry were fairly comfortable winners in the end. I appreciate there was just the one score in it but Kerry won the second half by 7 and I didn't think Kerry were under any real pressure in the last 20 minutes.

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on August 11, 2019, 07:36:01 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:32:22 PM

Soft????

2 were very very soft and likely not frees, one was never a free in a million years.

One was never a free, I agree with that. The other two were definite frees. The first one for holding. The second one was a foul by your number 6. He pulled the guy back by the shoulder. He didn't even need to. I'd be more annoyed at him than the ref if I was a Tyrone fan

ONeill

Quote from: APM on August 11, 2019, 07:33:21 PM
Quote from: ONeill on August 11, 2019, 07:19:30 PM

I think a few lost the heads after this. Fair play Kerry. Ricey et al did this.

Spot on O'Neill! Don't remember Tyrone supporters complaining when Gormley and Ricey using similar methods to get under the Gooch's skin.  Unfortunately there aren't more like you that can take a mature look at things and I include supporters of my own county in that.  When it came down to it today in the second half, a group of young Kerry players, led by Moran, Geaney et al, grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck, kept their heads and bossed Tyrone in the 3rd quarter. The Flat Track Bullies missed several handy scores and lost their heads when it was put up to them.

Also, I couldn't believe what I was hearing from the commentary today on RTE.  Kerry 2-3 pts down and to listen to Ger Canning / Dessie Dolan you would have thought there was 10 pts in it.  Tyrone's big problem was that for all their dominance in the first half, they didn't show it on the scoreboard.  They can have all the complaints they like about soft frees, but after all the diving and cheap frees they have bought down the years, there'll not be too many tears for them elsewhere in the country.

Kept saying that to the missus. It was as if they had an obituary script written for Kerry. Tyrone weren't that good. And Kerry weren't that bad.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

tonto1888

Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:38:54 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:35:49 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 11, 2019, 07:34:53 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on August 11, 2019, 07:33:00 PM

Obviously. He doesn't know who started it.
If Dublin are playing keep ball with 5 to go, what's to stop Kerry starting a wrestling match to get a hop ball?

If he doesn't know who started it why give a free to any team?
Absolutely nothing. Sure Dublin were more or less at that craic in the 2017 final
An indirect free to the team who had the ball just gets the game restarted where it was. No team punished or awarded. Hopping the ball punishes & awards.

That's actually a fair point but what's the rule?

naka

Not too annoyed at the result  ;D
But genuinely thought Deegan was harsher on Tyrone.
That's two ulster teams this year he has influenced outcomes.
He will probably get the final.