Leinster Senior Hurling Championship 2020

Started by G@@, March 03, 2020, 09:42:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redsetanta

Thanks for the heads up on the Laois People podcast with Cashin. A good keeper in his day.

Here is it for anyone interested in listening to it.

https://soundcloud.com/user-404374947/laois-hurling-special-with
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

Quote from: The PRO on November 17, 2020, 08:55:40 AM
Quote from: Giovanni on November 16, 2020, 08:23:57 PM
To be fair to the country board, I think they've generally done a good job in selecting hurling managers.
Jeepers, I'm no "bash the county board" merchant but we've had some terrible managers too. Teddy McCarthy, Peter Creedon, O Fatharta, Eamonn Kelly.
Different boards of course.

This is for sure! But I think you are always guaranteed a fair sprinkling of duds, especially when you are one of the smaller fish. I think they have done pretty well in this context. But it's even more the reason to make sure that when you do find the right person, you have to work to hold on to him. There really aren't too many of his calibre around so the chances of striking it lucky a second time are fairly limited.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Giovanni on November 16, 2020, 08:23:57 PM
To be fair to the country board, I think they've generally done a good job in selecting hurling managers. Cheddar's appointment was clever (even if it kinda happened by accident) and Eddie Brennan's appointment was inspired. There is always an element of luck in every recruitment effort (especially for the small fish) but here I think they've done pretty well in both codes but especially hurling, at least in recent years. It would be a real shame to undo those good decisions now.

The county board have tended to appoint panels to appoint senior team managers. Cheddar appointed Cheddar. He was asked (by the county board in fairness) to find a manager. Other managers have been appointed by panels also. I'd say the county board regret this method as it means that the best person will usually get the job if appointed by good hurling people. It avoids yes-men.

Anyway I do hope that Eddie is retained. No harm to go into next year with the county board under pressure and the best possible manager on board.

Laois Rising

Simple task for the county board really- get the feedback of the senior players on the county panel. If they feel that they are making progress under Eddie and want him to stay on for next year then that is what should happen. Ultimately, its about finding a manager that the players are happy with. IMO we have that in Eddie- accept his apology-he never meant for his words to reach the public domain and put Laois hurling first. 

Keyser Söze

Early reports that the meeting went fairly positively?
Green&Gold didn't make it to show Eddie who's who & what's what obviously!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

thegreeenandgold

No eagerly awaiting next year's Leinster Championship,  Hurling fraternity have to be kept happy.

Giovanni

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 18, 2020, 10:43:03 PM
Green&Gold didn't make it to show Eddie who's who & what's what obviously!

If so, kudos to the county board and, in particular, to those people who had a right to be most offended.

I hope the general public will support them now in trying to get to the next level.

High Fielder

As long as they have the interests of our players at the top of their agenda, then there should never be an issue. That clearly hasn't been the case up to now. The boys love the bit of power. They need to be more 2020. People don't tolerate bullshit any more

redsetanta

Lets hope it's all worked out and Eddie stay's on. Also, a greater effort put into Primary schools to get young lads playing hurling in the likes of Portlaoise, Mountmellick and Mountrath where there isn't enough being done. We need kids playing in these urban centres.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on November 19, 2020, 12:18:11 AM
No eagerly awaiting next year's Leinster Championship,  Hurling fraternity have to be kept happy.

Good man. Divide & conquer. At least there is some strategic thought I suppose!
The football semi final draws that have taken two months to organise are coming up. There was never any explanation for that.
I assume it will be a Champions League style affair after all that. Is the lorry trailer still parked in the COE? A few balloons, Bosco might throw on a few cocktail sausages, Killeshin Pipe Band, special guests Tommy Tynan, Jungle Joe, Hughie Emerson & Micko.
A little look back at a few classicly performed draws from previous years?
There has been some great chalice work and ball handling over the years. Worth a montage really.
Presume it's being live streamed?
Looking forward to it. Two months hard work gone into it. As Damien Carter would say, Kudos!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

ohara

great stuff!!

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 19, 2020, 12:29:33 PM

Good man. Divide & conquer. At least there is some strategic thought I suppose!
The football semi final draws that have taken two months to organise are coming up. There was never any explanation for that.
I assume it will be a Champions League style affair after all that. Is the lorry trailer still parked in the COE? A few balloons, Bosco might throw on a few cocktail sausages, Killeshin Pipe Band, special guests Tommy Tynan, Jungle Joe, Hughie Emerson & Micko.
A little look back at a few classicly performed draws from previous years?
There has been some great chalice work and ball handling over the years. Worth a montage really.
Presume it's being live streamed?
Looking forward to it. Two months hard work gone into it. As Damien Carter would say, Kudos!

G@@

Toxic.

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 18, 2020, 10:43:03 PM

Thats good to hear, I presume a motion to ratify EB for another term (or two) didn't happen yet, but should be very soon considering we're not far off the end of the year...?
"I can't get over you - 'till you come out from under him" - Pat Shortt - Class!

Laois Rising

Agree GAA. I would like to see this happen quickly now and get started on the preparation work for next season. I think the result (granted still a loss) against Clare has shown the players that they are on the right track and surely there must be enthusiasm within the camp that they can make even greater inroads next year, especially with a guaranteed five games to look forward to (all going well) in the Leinster championship.

clonadmad

Quote from: redsetanta on November 19, 2020, 11:27:25 AM
Lets hope it's all worked out and Eddie stay's on. Also, a greater effort put into Primary schools to get young lads playing hurling in the likes of Portlaoise, Mountmellick and Mountrath where there isn't enough being done. We need kids playing in these urban centres.

in fairness to Mountrath,they have invested hugely in the last few years with the likes of a ball wall,astro,walking track,floodlights,pitch etc completed

They also seem to have their act together at juvenile as well.

Fair play to them for turning out players for Trumera as well

the likes of Mountmellick and clonaslee in particular have let hurling die at juvenile level these past few years

Joeythelips

After watching Clare v Waterford today and given how close Laois pushed Clare it should be clear that Eddie Brennen can get the best out of Laois if given the chance, hopefully he is retained and given whatever support he needs and we can get every good hurler in Laois committing to the cause to see how far we can go.