Tyrone v Monaghan Quarter Final

Started by tyronefan, July 27, 2013, 10:20:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel_Hurl

QuoteSpeaking to Newstalk at the end of the match, Sean Cavanagh responded to Brolly's diatribe. He said, "I don't make the rules of GAA. Most football teams are brought up with if a man is through to score a goal, you stop him any way necessary... I've been very unlucky in my career, I've probably received more punishment than I've given out.

"It is cynical play. It's unfortunate. I don't want to play football like that... unfortunately the rules of GAA dictate that [when a man is through on goal] a yellow card does not mean that much to you."

BennyHarp

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on August 03, 2013, 07:43:40 PM
Jesus Benny u mustn't played much football, guilty of picking the ball up plenty of times, sometimes accidentally some not, never in 15yrs did i have to rugby tackle a man

Do you think that was an accident by Shields? And can you honestly say you have never pulled a player down in 15 years of playing football? Or did you just kick their heels as they kicked the ball, which I would say is much more dangerous!  ;)
That was never a square ball!!

Bingo

Dublin defender backed his keeper there

Tubberman

The rules of the game are not stringent enough, and personally I don't think the black card will be near good enough to stamp out the ugly cynical stuff. But the apologists shouldn't think that excuses Tyrone's tactics seen today and against Meath - a horrible sight to see.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

red hander

Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 03, 2013, 07:44:36 PM
The standard of the Dublin vs Cork game has already been ridiculously higher than the dross that was this game.

Glad to see a poor Monaghan team dumped out and Mayo to do the business on Tyrone in the semi final.

popinpopout

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 03, 2013, 07:47:39 PM
Quote from: SouthDublinBro on August 03, 2013, 07:44:36 PM
The standard of the Dublin vs Cork game has already been ridiculously higher than the dross that was this game.

Glad to see a poor Monaghan team dumped out and Mayo to do the business on Tyrone in the semi final.

It's that good you are on here complaining about another match   ???

And exactly the same scoreline at half time as the negative, boring dross served up by the northerners.......Mmmmmmm??

BennyHarp

That was never a square ball!!

Nally Stand

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM
The rules of the game are not stringent enough, and personally I don't think the black card will be near good enough to stamp out the ugly cynical stuff. But the apologists shouldn't think that excuses Tyrone's tactics seen today and against Meath - a horrible sight to see.

Hope you were busily defending Brolly when he tore into Mayo's cynicism last year too?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Wildweasel74

They didnt seem to get round to any analysis to be honest! Thought Monaghan looked very flat on it from early on, Tyrone done enough to win but i bring Justin McMahon on at Midfield next day out!

omagh_gael

Quote from: BennyHarp on August 03, 2013, 07:37:05 PM
That clear pick up off the ground by Michael Shields is as cynical a prevention of a goal as Sean Cavanaghs tackle in the first game. The thought process is the same, give away a blatant free to prevent a goal. How the ref missed it is beyond me though

Too f**kin right. Sean Cavanagh did what 95% of other players would do and no more. Michael Shields deliberately denied a more certain goal and McStay et al had a wee giggle. Load of bollox. There was one other clearly cyncial tackle (P Harte) with about a minute to go. Joe has an agenda as always and his vitrolic rant against a fellow amatuer is just as much of a challenge to GAA values as a cynical tackle. Tyrone won by two, Cavanagh saved us two points. Come on Tyrone. Bring on the Semis.

Tubberman

Quote from: Nally Stand on August 03, 2013, 08:27:41 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:01:03 PM

Hope you were busily defending Brolly when he tore into Mayo's cynicism last year too?

Read back - I already said agreeing with Brolly on this occasion was almost the exception to the rule. Mayo's 'cynicism' last year was overblown by Brolly, as tonight's probably was too, but Mayo were never as blatant or downright cynical as that - they were desperate and unable to tackle correctly.

Bingo

Dublin winning and didn't feel the need to do what 95% of all players would do.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PMthey were desperate and unable to tackle correctly.

so that makes it ok then?   ::)

Tubberman

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on August 03, 2013, 08:36:06 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on August 03, 2013, 08:33:22 PMthey were desperate and unable to tackle correctly.

so that makes it ok then?   ::)

No, it means they weren't being deliberately cynical.

borderfox

Dunno why Brolly is having a go at Cavanagh for. He should be saving his vitriol for the referee instead for bottling it and not sending Cavanagh off. It was a blatant red card, Cavanagh did what he had to do, It should have been dealt with there and then.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.