Armagh v Derry November 1st

Started by tonto1888, October 26, 2020, 07:13:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Real Talk

Performance was much as expected and we had no errand playing Donegal. 
Why did Grugan get so much freedom on the ball?

Contrast everytime B Rodgers get the ball he does the exact same thing (for Club and County) solo's thirty yards and then gives a 10yrd sideways fist pass ... seldom a penetrating outcome/score,

Ciaran McFall played very well and always wants the ball ... need a few more like him

theticklemister

Quote from: Real Talk on November 02, 2020, 04:28:11 PM

Contrast everytime B Rodgers get the ball he does the exact same thing (for Club and County) solo's thirty yards and then gives a 10yrd sideways fist pass ... seldom a penetrating outcome/score,

Ciaran McFall played very well and always wants the ball ... need a few more like him

Ideally Rogers would be wingback; but have we someone 6 foot plus to play at full back?

restorepride

Quote from: Rawhide on November 02, 2020, 12:47:24 PM
A decent performance, we could have gotten a draw, we had the chances, but we never looked like we were going to win that game. I didn't expect us to win it before hand. We have made progress on the pitch. We are improved defensively but there is a ceiling with this system. We might get promotion with it but we won't win an Ulster championship with it. Gallagher is correct in that we need to keep a consistent panel together to evolve and develop. The next stage is how do we get the team to move the ball faster with the foot to what is potentially a decent forward line that is emerging. Thats the next part of the puzzle, not staying the same. Loads of young players  being introduced to and getting bulk unto some of them is vital for us to progress against the better teams. No doubt getting that 6:4 ball winning midfielder would be ideal also.
On Lynn, don't rate the guy in championship football at all for us. No doubt he has been consistently good in the league, due to the fitness he has, and as the championship gets closer, you can see his performances drop due to the opposition teams getting fitter towards May. But he has rarely been a significant player for us in championship over along period. However we have very little to push him out over the past 5 years so his place on the team was fair enough.

restorepride

Quote from: Rawhide on November 02, 2020, 12:47:24 PM
A decent performance, we could have gotten a draw, we had the chances, but we never looked like we were going to win that game. I didn't expect us to win it before hand. We have made progress on the pitch. We are improved defensively but there is a ceiling with this system. We might get promotion with it but we won't win an Ulster championship with it. Gallagher is correct in that we need to keep a consistent panel together to evolve and develop. The next stage is how do we get the team to move the ball faster with the foot to what is potentially a decent forward line that is emerging. Thats the next part of the puzzle, not staying the same. Loads of young players  being introduced to and getting bulk unto some of them is vital for us to progress against the better teams. No doubt getting that 6:4 ball winning midfielder would be ideal also.
On Lynn, don't rate the guy in championship football at all for us. No doubt he has been consistently good in the league, due to the fitness he has, and as the championship gets closer, you can see his performances drop due to the opposition teams getting fitter towards May. But he has rarely been a significant player for us in championship over along period. However we have very little to push him out over the past 5 years so his place on the team was fair enough.
Would have to unfortunately agree - ultimately seems to lack confidence on the big day, especially in going for scores.

JoG2

Quote from: tbrick18 on November 02, 2020, 11:26:25 AM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 02, 2020, 10:56:37 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on November 02, 2020, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: illdecide on November 01, 2020, 07:03:20 PM
It's not all about S&C...Jamie Clarke is not bursting out of his top with weights. For me players that are a bit limited tend to put more into the gym to compensate but if you're worth your salt at all and can put the ball over the bar with ease then you don't need to be bench pressing 100kg.
I know they all need to have the core fitness and need to have the strength to fend off your opponent but they don't need to be running around like you're carrying two TV's

I'd agree with this.
I think it's important, but the difference IMO is the physical size of Derry. We are generally shorter and smaller in stature than a lot of county teams.
That's not to take away from the S&C of those players or their ability....it's just difficult for a player at 5'10" to complete with one at 6'2".
Some of our better players are small(ish). Lynn, McGuigan....the subs we brought on all looked like kids compared to the Armagh subs.
I do think we struggle on the physical size side and that makes it more difficult for us to win primary possession.

Shane McGuigan? Wouldn't describe him as smallish in stature in the slightest . Lynn yes, but yesterday aside he's been our most consistent player for years imo. For his size he can fairly ride a tackle and not cough up possession. Sean Leo had the same knack

All in all, I'm not too disappointed in the game yesterday. We looked out of it for large parts of the first half but then looked at least on a par for the 2nd half.
Conditions were difficult but both teams have to adjust to that.
Realistically, I don't think either Armagh or Derry will put up a serious challenge to Donegal.

In terms of development, Derry are really at the start. A lot of young players, some championship debuts, probably should have been promoted to Div2 and gave a decent showing in the championship.
We obviously need to work some more on defending but mostly I think we need to work on our MF, half forward areas and that transition between defence and attack. We didnt get enough ball into shooting positions yesterday and that left us shooting from poor positions.
I think that will come given time and the maturing of some of those younger players.

Agree with all of the above. Almost gaining promotion to the 2nd tier of the league is good base to be starting from.

restorepride

Quote from: Real Talk on November 02, 2020, 04:28:11 PM

Homework not done.