FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 17, 2017, 10:43:24 PM
Only stupid fans will think Martin's whole time as manager of the ROI team will be remembered for putting on subs at halftime of a playoff for the World Cup with that squad!
Stupid fans and remembering his whole tenure aside. Do you think bringing McGeady on was a good managerial decision? In my book it was absolutely shocking and brings into question what he offers us from here.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on November 19, 2017, 12:18:49 AM
Only stupid fans will think Martin's whole time as manager of the ROI team will be remembered for putting on subs at halftime of a playoff for the World Cup with that squad!
Stupid fans and remembering his whole tenure aside. Do you think bringing McGeady on was a good managerial decision? In my book it was absolutely shocking and brings into question what he offers us from here.

Another dope! One decision a gamble over that period? So expert manager tell me your experience in this other than watching football
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No1

So you have to be a professional in any field you have an opinion on? You must be some boy going by your posts on this forum. What the f**k has my experience got to do with anything? Pity you couldn't answer a simple question.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No1 on November 19, 2017, 10:34:13 AM
So you have to be a professional in any field you have an opinion on? You must be some boy going by your posts on this forum. What the f**k has my experience got to do with anything? Pity you couldn't answer a simple question.

Having some knowledge would help, other than that you're just talking shite
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Esmarelda

Plonker, dope, talking shite. Another thread down.

No1

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2017, 11:01:11 AM
Quote from: No1 on November 19, 2017, 10:34:13 AM

Having some knowledge would help, other than that you're just talking shite

Fair enough big lad. I'll bow to your superior knowledge on the subject of talking shite.

Milltown Row2

Dig out the stats of Martin's management with Ireland..

Since Sep 2015 Ireland have beaten teams ranked 2, 12, 13 & 20 in competitive games. Before that the best was 33rd.. that's just one stat

6th sam

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2017, 07:48:57 PM

Since Sep 2015 Ireland have beaten teams ranked 2, 12, 13 & 20 in competitive games. Before that the best was 33rd.. that's just one stat

Hard to argue with those statistics tbf.

Mcgeady's introduction was strange and perhaps loyalty played a part. That consistent  loyalty probably contributes to the great team bond, associated with o'neills teams, and therefore contributes to his team's punching above their weight over several years.
His tight at the back system is totally dependent on clean sheets, and such miserliness has provided a necessary platform for his teams, providing success away from home for example.
However when goals are conceded , there has to be a totally different emphasis, which by necessity involves being more cavalier to create more chances, employing creative players who are lacking  defensively. O'Neill has been roundly criticised for not using these creative players, like Hoolahan, enough.
He employed them on Tuesday and look what happened.
Do we honestly think that if he had shut up shop after the Danish goal and tried to steal a very unlikely  goal on the break, he wouldnt have been criticised even more?
We don't have the quality due to relatively poor numbers, poor interest, poor coaching , poor organisation in the country as a whole. We are not a soccer nation.  O'Neill and Keane's approach had us punching above our weight throughout their tenure, but when we met genuine quality, and/or went behind, we were often found out.

Gold

McGeady on was a horrible gamble. We needed 2 goals but when was the last time (ever?) MCGeady created or scored a goal for us? He is talented but looks like he doesnt know what he is doing and couldnt cross his legs never mind beat the 1st man. Tbh i didnt even know he was still on the squad when he was brought on.

Id have had Long on from the start....he hasnt been scoring but always puts a shift in and has been proven to do it in big games...couldnt believe be only got 10 mins

Look theres no doubt we got lucky in so many games throughout the campaign but what other manager can or could do better with the talent (or lack of) we have? We do not play any football...which is amazing as the Danes are nlt world beaters....they have many mediocre players but only 1 star. I think we were gutless not to have the balls to try and keep the ball and play football...real bravery is getting on and keeping the ball
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

seafoid

Quote from: 6th sam on November 19, 2017, 11:17:22 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 19, 2017, 07:48:57 PM

Hard to argue with those statistics tbf.

Mcgeady's introduction was strange and perhaps loyalty played a part. That consistent  loyalty probably contributes to the great team bond, associated with o'neills teams, and therefore contributes to his team's punching above their weight over several years.
His tight at the back system is totally dependent on clean sheets, and such miserliness has provided a necessary platform for his teams, providing success away from home for example.
However when goals are conceded , there has to be a totally different emphasis, which by necessity involves being more cavalier to create more chances, employing creative players who are lacking  defensively. O'Neill has been roundly criticised for not using these creative players, like Hoolahan, enough.
He employed them on Tuesday and look what happened.
Do we honestly think that if he had shut up shop after the Danish goal and tried to steal a very unlikely  goal on the break, he wouldnt have been criticised even more?
We don't have the quality due to relatively poor numbers, poor interest, poor coaching , poor organisation in the country as a whole. We are not a soccer nation.  O'Neill and Keane's approach had us punching above our weight throughout their tenure, but when we met genuine quality, and/or went behind, we were often found out.
It was like the Tyrone-Dublin aisf. Mickey Harte had the same problem as O'Neill. He doesn't have any star forwards.  He built a very rigid system to make up for the deficiencies in his personnel. It is very psychological and wins against disorganised teams. Flair is sacrificed for the system. Only certain types of player are involved. Fans had unrealistic expectations. So many parallels. 

The Dubs scored an early goal like Denmark did and the game was over.

The system hadn't beaten anybody that Tyrone wouldn't beat playing a more positive style. It inevitably failed when Tyrone came up against a technically superior team. 

RoI don't have the players. Neither do Tyrone.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

rrhf

Quote from: Gold on November 19, 2017, 11:40:13 PM

McGeady on was a horrible gamble. We needed 2 goals but when was the last time (ever?) MCGeady created or scored a goal for us? He is talented but looks like he doesnt know what he is doing and couldnt cross his legs never mind beat the 1st man. Tbh i didnt even know he was still on the squad when he was brought on.

Id have had Long on from the start....he hasnt been scoring but always puts a shift in and has been proven to do it in big games...couldnt believe be only got 10 mins

Look theres no doubt we got lucky in so many games throughout the campaign but what other manager can or could do better with the talent (or lack of) we have? We do not play any football...which is amazing as the Danes are nlt world beaters....they have many mediocre players but only 1 star. I think we were gutless not to have the balls to try and keep the ball and play football...real bravery is getting on and keeping the ball
No it's not...real bravery is getting a kids cuddly toy from the lions cage.

johnneycool

It was a long shot and a panic move which backfired badly.

Hard to remember the last time this Ireland team scored two goals in 45 minutes when they were in the teeth of a tight game. The cutting edge up front hasn't been there in a while. There's only so far big Duffy and the long throws will get you.

BennyCake

McGeady has 93 caps. What. The. F**k?

Other than that late goal in Georgia, I can't recall anything he has done.

Avondhu star

Quote from: rrhf on November 20, 2017, 08:23:10 AM

No it's not...real bravery is getting a kids cuddly toy from the lions cage.

I would call that stupidity myself
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

Syferus

The wankers hurling racial abuse at Christie for losing a fûcking soccer match need to disappear, and fast.