A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Branching off a bit here, but with Fair Employment introduced which enabled more Catholics to get certain jobs. Now that's in place, has even those Catholics been forced down the list and LBGT's taken priority for jobs? Just a thought.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2017, 03:58:18 PM
Branching off a bit here, but with Fair Employment introduced which enabled more Catholics to get certain jobs. Now that's in place, has even those Catholics been forced down the list and LBGT's taken priority for jobs? Just a thought.

A terrible, regressive thought that ignores the very basic laws of recruitment. Do you think a gay person has their sexuality tattooed on their forehead or something?

If you're going to try to vaguely target a minority group at least spell it right.

yellowcard

So the latest ruse is that discrimination was just an excuse for all those low life failure's in society who never made anything of themselves. Just because you personally were so wonderful to be able to overcome any prejudice and become a member of the middle class in society does not make it true for a whole population of catholics.   

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 03:38:23 PM
I am sure like me you know a lot of people who neither worked nor wanted.I am not saying discrimination didn't happen but it was and is still exaggerated.I can only opine on my own family and my parents oft repeated words,there's work for those who want it. Catholics had access to all public services etc and the Catholic education system was fully facilitated.

The middle classes on both sides had it easy,no peace walls etc.

You really are a deluded fool  :-[

BennyCake

Quote from: Syferus on December 07, 2017, 04:02:10 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 07, 2017, 03:58:18 PM

A terrible, regressive thought that ignores the very basic laws of recruitment. Do you think a gay person has their sexuality tattooed on their forehead or something?

If you're going to try to vaguely target a minority group at least spell it right.

It's an acronym. You cant "spell" an acronym.

Well, if a gay thought by declaring they were gay on a form (which I presume is an option these days), they might declare it if they thought it would increase their chances.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: red hander on December 07, 2017, 04:34:47 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 03:38:23 PM
I am sure like me you know a lot of people who neither worked nor wanted.I am not saying discrimination didn't happen but it was and is still exaggerated.I can only opine on my own family and my parents oft repeated words,there's work for those who want it. Catholics had access to all public services etc and the Catholic education system was fully facilitated.

The middle classes on both sides had it easy,no peace walls etc.

You really are a deluded fool  :-[

+1
As a catholic who was never out of work ( most of us are the same) I find this mentality offensive
Just because i have a work ethic instilled by great parents doesn't mean I belong in some ivory tower where I can look down and judge the lesser privileged

On the imbalance of civil rights that prevailed against catholics during this era
If a United Ireland was ever achieved we must ensure that the protestant communities are held as equals or we have endured those hardships for nothing
Any thing else would be to unionists for me   
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

AQMP

Latest Lucid Talk poll (a rather long question!):

In the context of a "Hard Brexit" and NI leaving the EU with no deal on the border, GFA or citizens' rights: if the question used in in an NI Border Poll Referendum was:

Should NI REMAIN in the EU bu joining with the Republic of Ireland or LEAVE the EU by staying in the UK?

If the poll were tomorrow which way would you vote?

REMAIN in EU by joining with RoI:    47.9%
LEAVE the EU by staying in the UK:  45.4%
D/K but would vote:                             6.0%
Wouldn't vote:                                     0.7%

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on December 07, 2017, 05:30:36 PM
Latest Lucid Talk poll (a rather long question!):

In the context of a "Hard Brexit" and NI leaving the EU with no deal on the border, GFA or citizens' rights: if the question used in in an NI Border Poll Referendum was:

Should NI REMAIN in the EU bu joining with the Republic of Ireland or LEAVE the EU by staying in the UK?

If the poll were tomorrow which way would you vote?

REMAIN in EU by joining with RoI:    47.9%
LEAVE the EU by staying in the UK:  45.4%
D/K but would vote:                             6.0%
Wouldn't vote:                                     0.7%

That's a first!
This might soften the DUPs cough and encourage not putting things to the test.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Did you talk to any of the Protestants in Portadown forced out of Ballyoran,Churchill Park? I think undoubtedly there was a Protestant work ethic that was not shared by all catholics as well.Discrimination here, like in Scotland back in the day was not institutional but practiced by certain individuals who wielded too much power.It was exaggerated,and in any case has long since been defeated.It had no impact on my life or any of my family and I was born and reared in arguably the North's most staunchly Protestant town.

By the way your good friends in the DUP sit in government with SF here, something FF and FG have pledged never to do in Dublin.Do you see this as being discriminatory?

armaghniac

The undecideds are mostly middle of the road, as likely to go one way as the other.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

T Fearon

Er has anyone asked the Dublin Govt or people in the South? I will bet money that any referendum would not reach anywhere near 40% in favour of unity and I'd doubt if it would endorse the North staying in the EU.Dont get over excited.

red hander

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 05:45:11 PM
Did you talk to any of the Protestants in Portadown forced out of Ballyoran,Churchill Park? I think undoubtedly there was a Protestant work ethic that was not shared by all catholics as well.Discrimination here, like in Scotland back in the day was not institutional but practiced by certain individuals who wielded too much power.It was exaggerated,and in any case has long since been defeated.It had no impact on my life or any of my family and I was born and reared in arguably the North's most staunchly Protestant town.

By the way your good friends in the DUP sit in government with SF here, something FF and FG have pledged never to do in Dublin.Do you see this as being discriminatory?

You need help. I fear for your mental wellbeing, I really do

T Fearon

And you would know what about it? Were you even born 50 years ago?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: T Fearon on December 07, 2017, 05:45:11 PM

Protestant work ethic? Please Tony stay off the glue, catholics had a Work harder ethic as they didn't have the same opportunities as their Protestant neighbours. Living off social welfare was the only way families could survive, and with flaming catholic teachings at the time they didn't use the pill to have normal manageable family size, instead of families having up to ten or more kids!

Stop using your own story as an example, I much prefer of hearing about people brought up on the breadline,  rasing a family who all went on to achieve education and a regular job, not a doctor or a serial radio/magazine competition player!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

T Fearon

Yeah because that feeds your prejudice.I am glad I don't carry these chips on my shoulder.