Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: whitey on July 20, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 09, 2015, 10:34:46 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 09, 2015, 12:55:16 AM
Anyone recommend things to do in and around Westport?

Are there many apartments to rent in the town or just outside?

Also, anyone done the Greenway cycle and have any stories?

Take the car over to Achill and spend a day exploring places like this..

...then go to Matt Molloy's that night and watch a load of yanks make a glass of Guinness last for 4 hours!

My kids spent about 3 hours swimming at that beach a couple of weeks ago (with wet suits obviously) and we stopped in Nevins in Mulranny for the spuds on the way back.

Instead of Matt Molloys, go next door to the Porter House, especially on a Sunday night if the Molloy Brothers are playing.

Hobans on the Octagon is another might pub for an impromptu session.....I heard some incredible singers and musicians...but be warned...they take it very seriously and we were almost shushed out the door for laughing and loud talking.

Petey Joes down in the Castlecourt is also a might spot...quite unexpected for a "new" pub inside a hotel.

Go down to the Helm or the Towers for dinner-2 great spots

Does that joint have a piano in there. Me and wife were in it maybe 7-8 years ago we musta been the only ones not able to contribute to the session. It was absolutely powerful inpsired me to take up music actually

whitey

Quote from: omaghjoe on July 20, 2015, 09:38:25 PM
Quote from: whitey on July 20, 2015, 09:09:35 PM
Quote from: 5 Sams on July 09, 2015, 10:34:46 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 09, 2015, 12:55:16 AM
Anyone recommend things to do in and around Westport?

Are there many apartments to rent in the town or just outside?

Also, anyone done the Greenway cycle and have any stories?

Take the car over to Achill and spend a day exploring places like this..

...then go to Matt Molloy's that night and watch a load of yanks make a glass of Guinness last for 4 hours!

My kids spent about 3 hours swimming at that beach a couple of weeks ago (with wet suits obviously) and we stopped in Nevins in Mulranny for the spuds on the way back.

Instead of Matt Molloys, go next door to the Porter House, especially on a Sunday night if the Molloy Brothers are playing.

Hobans on the Octagon is another might pub for an impromptu session.....I heard some incredible singers and musicians...but be warned...they take it very seriously and we were almost shushed out the door for laughing and loud talking.

Petey Joes down in the Castlecourt is also a might spot...quite unexpected for a "new" pub inside a hotel.

Go down to the Helm or the Towers for dinner-2 great spots

Does that joint have a piano in there. Me and wife were in it maybe 7-8 years ago we musta been the only ones not able to contribute to the session. It was absolutely powerful inpsired me to take up music actually

Hmmm....I dont think so, at least not the night I was in there.Its more like a bunch of musicians hussled in a corner. I went online and looked at some of the yelp and tripadvisor photos and didnt see any either

heffo

Quote from: LeoMc on July 20, 2015, 11:56:12 AM
Quote from: heffo on July 19, 2015, 09:14:04 PM
Have to go to Belgrade with work in the next few weeks.

A bit left field I know but flights are shitty via Frankfurt - anyone know anywhere better to fly direct to and get the train?
Dubrovnik, Budapest, Burgas would be the 3 closest.
Would you not have better flight options through London or Rome?

Cheers - Going to go through Istanbul with Turkish airlines - transfer times decent

nrico2006

Staying in the Citynorth Hotel for a few days next week.  Got passes for the Zoo and Tayto park but have a free day too and was wondering what is best to do around that area.  Have two children (6 and 2) - would it be recommended to go to Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Bettystown or the Battle of Boyne site etc?  Would they be close by or would they not be something that would be enjoyed by the children?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

GJL

Quote from: nrico2006 on August 07, 2015, 09:29:17 AM
Staying in the Citynorth Hotel for a few days next week.  Got passes for the Zoo and Tayto park but have a free day too and was wondering what is best to do around that area.  Have two children (6 and 2) - would it be recommended to go to Newgrange, Hill of Tara, Bettystown or the Battle of Boyne site etc?  Would they be close by or would they not be something that would be enjoyed by the children?

Giving good weather next week so maybe out to Malahide? It is really nice out there.

BenDover

Spending the week in Port Salon, 3days fine weather spent on the most incredible beach. A stones throw from letterkenny which was handy on Tuesday whn it pissed all day. Plenty of nice drives around Fanad head. Top spot def recommended.

nrico2006

Quote from: BenDover on August 07, 2015, 01:25:19 PM
Spending the week in Port Salon, 3days fine weather spent on the most incredible beach. A stones throw from letterkenny which was handy on Tuesday whn it pissed all day. Plenty of nice drives around Fanad head. Top spot def recommended.

Back in the day, we would have went to a few beaches a week in Donegal in the summer.  Been that long since I've been now though but I do remember that they were all amazing and would love to get the time to go around them all again.  I can remember going to Downings, Portsalon (loved the drive down the cliff), Portnoo (loved going out to the island) a lot but also enjoyed the beach near Ards Forest Park.  For some reason I never like Rossnowlagh or Murvagh. 
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

downtown

anyone ever been to the the nazi concentration camps in poland or the Auschwitz-Birkenau tour.

looking to book this but looking a bit of advice if anyone has ever been.

thanks

heffo

Quote from: downtown on November 02, 2015, 10:12:06 AM
anyone ever been to the the nazi concentration camps in poland or the Auschwitz-Birkenau tour.

looking to book this but looking a bit of advice if anyone has ever been.

thanks

Been to both - what advice are you looking for?

downtown

Were is best place to stay? How long do you advise for the trips ? Did you do it with a tour, if so were is best to book thro?

Boycey

I did the Auschwitz/Birkenau tour a few years back, its a very humbling but worthwhile experience that everyone should try and do at some stage.

The trip  can be done under your own steam using local buses and trains, Osweicim is the closest train station,but I think these services may only take you to Auschwitz (Birkenau is a further3/4km away). The vast majority of tourists who do it book a guided tour through their hotel, this is the method we chose. Buses pick up at all tourist hotels at around 9AM for the approx 1hr trip to Auschwitz. On arrival you are met by a local official guide, the man we got was very insightful, who leads you around Auschwitz for about an hour. After a 10 minute break you get back on the bus to be taken to Birkenau where the same guide picks up the story. I guess we would have been there for another hour before departing for Krakow again. The whole trip probably takes 4/5 hours... If you are going make sure you do both camps as they are completely different experiences..

On a lighter note Krakow is an absolutely cracking spot, cold at this time of the year mind!!

An Watcher

Visited Auschwitz/Birkenau a few years back myself.  Couldn't recommend it highly enough to be honest although it is truly shocking.  We didn't have a guide to take us round so just dandered around at our own pace.  We considered doing this and the Salt Mines on the same day but thankfully we didn't.  We were knackered after a day at the camps.   

Rois

I used this company for airport transfers and for one day Auschwitz/Salt Mines tour.  Couldn't recommend them highly enough : www.krakowtrip.com
Really nice, good value and did all the ticket buying for us - easy to communicate with us in advance.  It was a private tour so we weren't waiting for anyone else - def worth the extra few quid as it wasn't overly expensive anyway. 
We did the official Auschwitz tour which was great but our wee taxi man took us over to Birkenau so we didn't need to get the bus. 

50fiftyball

Anyone recommendations between Christmas & New Year? I know its got hugely popular and prices have went up, talking about boxing day onwards and back first week of Jan - you know the week where you lay about, eat, drink, eat again and get fat!

Love the US but its expensive, there isn't really anywhere warm enough in Europe - beach weather. Anyone been to Thailand etc? Talking 25-35 age group.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: 50fiftyball on November 06, 2015, 12:00:35 PM
Anyone recommendations between Christmas & New Year? I know its got hugely popular and prices have went up, talking about boxing day onwards and back first week of Jan - you know the week where you lay about, eat, drink, eat again and get fat!

Love the US but its expensive, there isn't really anywhere warm enough in Europe - beach weather. Anyone been to Thailand etc? Talking 25-35 age group.

Tenerife is 26 degrees now.. though today it was 17 here :o
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea