Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tintin25

Quote from: Armaghgeddon on May 17, 2012, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 17, 2012, 08:07:58 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on May 17, 2012, 06:36:35 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 17, 2012, 06:26:46 PM
Folks,

Thinking of heading to the states for a holiday in the near future. Thing is, I have an unpaid medical bill (500-600 dollars) from when lived there previously (02-03 for internship). Is it likely to be flagged at immigration or that?

I believe they do, they keep all records of unpaid bills.
If you are lucky enough to get pass immigration, they could refuse to treat you if you need treatment of any kind when there again.
Phone wherever you owe the money and see if they have you on record still and offer to pay back £5 a month.

From research the hospital I went to has closed and is now some sort of health centre-phoned them but they have no record of me. They said that all other records from the previous hospital would be kept in the local city hall-don't even know if they would have records of actual bills.

Do you remember being sent any legal documents?

Honestly can't remember too much but I think I got one form before I left the states-it may have been a small bill for 150 dollars or something-I think the said form is about the house over here somewhere-think it had a ref number but when I tried checking it online a few years ago it wouldn't work. Was only when I got back to Ireland that one of the guys I lived with in the states said another bill for the ambulance came after I had left. I left a couple of weeks after the hospital visit so obviously I wouldn't have got any post or that. Haven't heard or received anything further about it since-I doubt they have my address here. Oh, I rang the place I was staying in the states at the time and the current Irish tenant said that they called once or twice asking for me but they just said I didn't live there anymore and that was it.

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: tintin25 on May 17, 2012, 09:02:10 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on May 17, 2012, 08:33:29 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 17, 2012, 08:07:58 PM
Quote from: Armaghgeddon on May 17, 2012, 06:36:35 PM
Quote from: tintin25 on May 17, 2012, 06:26:46 PM
Folks,

Thinking of heading to the states for a holiday in the near future. Thing is, I have an unpaid medical bill (500-600 dollars) from when lived there previously (02-03 for internship). Is it likely to be flagged at immigration or that?

I believe they do, they keep all records of unpaid bills.
If you are lucky enough to get pass immigration, they could refuse to treat you if you need treatment of any kind when there again.
Phone wherever you owe the money and see if they have you on record still and offer to pay back £5 a month.

From research the hospital I went to has closed and is now some sort of health centre-phoned them but they have no record of me. They said that all other records from the previous hospital would be kept in the local city hall-don't even know if they would have records of actual bills.

Do you remember being sent any legal documents?

Honestly can't remember too much but I think I got one form before I left the states-it may have been a small bill for 150 dollars or something-I think the said form is about the house over here somewhere-think it had a ref number but when I tried checking it online a few years ago it wouldn't work. Was only when I got back to Ireland that one of the guys I lived with in the states said another bill for the ambulance came after I had left. I left a couple of weeks after the hospital visit so obviously I wouldn't have got any post or that. Haven't heard or received anything further about it since-I doubt they have my address here. Oh, I rang the place I was staying in the states at the time and the current Irish tenant said that they called once or twice asking for me but they just said I didn't live there anymore and that was it.

You should be fine. I have asked some family over there and they would have to know you are in the country so they could chase you for the money. But as you have tried to contact them and they dont exsist anymore you shouldn't be worried about that. If you were to be refused entry, then they would refuse the ESTA application.

David McKeown

Just booked my summer holiday. Took advantage of secret hotels on lastminute.com. Great value. Also lastminute.ie offers same secret hotels but provides the address. Handy to ensure you aren't risk taking
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Rois

I'm availing of free wifi in the Aer Lingus lounge in Dublin while waiting on flight to Rome - just s short break but I think the weather's great there at the mo!

southdown

I've booked a week off work with the girlfriend in November.  Leaving on the Saturday.  Planning on booking something at the very last minute and see where it takes us, always hearing of these great last minute deals especially when it is not peak season.

Can anyone suggest where is hot and nice in November and any decent websites I can use to get  late deal?

Cheers

camanchero

Quote from: ross4life on April 18, 2012, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 14, 2012, 04:54:55 PM
Also can anyone reccomend a good hotel in miami south beach?
Good pool (not overshadowed by high rises) , clean, decent sized rooms, near restaurants/bars etc
not necessarily on the beachfront but if on the main road across from the beach - would be fine..
TIA

Would recommend the San Juan on Collins avenue prime location close to the restaurant/bars short walk to the beach, outdoor pool,spacious rooms & at decent price.
thanks- and thanks Rois.
Ended up getting a deal in the Anglers Rest hotel on Washington and 7th.
It was a 10 block walk up to 17th (Lincoln) where all the bars and restaurants were (passing miami ink on the way - one of many tatoo shops).
Hotel was lovely- but pool was small with feck all chairs/loungers around (ended up having a bit of a row with an brit over reserving sun lounders etc! but no big deal).
Miami was lovely- great restaurants and vibe.

Rois

Quote from: camanchero on September 12, 2012, 09:53:42 AM
Quote from: ross4life on April 18, 2012, 06:07:13 PM
Quote from: camanchero on March 14, 2012, 04:54:55 PM
Also can anyone reccomend a good hotel in miami south beach?
Good pool (not overshadowed by high rises) , clean, decent sized rooms, near restaurants/bars etc
not necessarily on the beachfront but if on the main road across from the beach - would be fine..
TIA

Would recommend the San Juan on Collins avenue prime location close to the restaurant/bars short walk to the beach, outdoor pool,spacious rooms & at decent price.
thanks- and thanks Rois.
Ended up getting a deal in the Anglers Rest hotel on Washington and 7th.
It was a 10 block walk up to 17th (Lincoln) where all the bars and restaurants were (passing miami ink on the way - one of many tatoo shops).
Hotel was lovely- but pool was small with feck all chairs/loungers around (ended up having a bit of a row with an brit over reserving sun lounders etc! but no big deal).
Miami was lovely- great restaurants and vibe.
How did you get on down in the Keys? I stayed at the Hilton resort in Key Largo for a couple of nights and then down in Key West in a motel type place. I'm sorry I didn't see you original post, just replied to another answer.
Not sure what you'd have thought but I saw lots of cheesy class paces on the Keys that I'd have stayed in. I will be back, I loved the Keys, even in December when we sat with deck chairs out behind the resort on the private beach in the sea (yes, seats in the sea) drinking beer!

camanchero

Enjoyed Key West. Stayed there 4 night- hotel was lovely. southernmost on the beach.
bottom of the island and a mile walk up duval to the top of the strip but had a great time.
missus really enjoyed the bars and restaurants.  Would go back and maybe we will.
Good food and not too expensive imo.

Rois

Anyone ever rented a car in Canada and dropped off in USA?

Planning a holiday that will involve visiting (his) relatives in Halifax Nova Scotia and want to drive down through New England (Maine, Vermont etc), do some hiking, golfing, cocktail-drinking, down to Cape Cod and back up to Boston.

Finding it soooo hard to get from Halifax to anywhere!

Advice on any of it v welcome...

Transport links btw Canada and USA are awful, well up in the east anyway.

armaghniac

QuoteAnyone ever rented a car in Canada and dropped off in USA?

No. But I did rent a car in the US and drop it off in Canada, so it probably should be possible and it wasn't hugely expensive either. Check out holidayautos.com or similar which use multiple companies to see it is possible. Consider breaking your journey, i.e. two legs, one dropping the Canadian car in Maine and taking a Maine car to Boston, as I imagine the further from the border you get the less they want a car ending up there. 
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

I flew in to Halifax on an 8-seater, and flew out on the same two weeks later.

Plenty of Titanic memorabilia. And 'Newfies' are the butt of their jokes.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

southdown

Booked Warsaw for a couple of days in February, looking forward to it.  Cheapish flights through Wizzair (£60 each return) and got a 4 start hotel for £124 for 3 nights all in, totalling £122 each for flights and hotel.

Any suggestions of decent pubs etc and how cold it will be? Im reading it will be below freezing.

armaghniac

QuoteIm reading it will be below freezing.

You could have weather like a cold spell in Ireland or it could be -20C.
I'd check close to the date so that you can decide whether to pack the thermals.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Orior

Quote from: armaghniac on October 22, 2012, 04:14:28 PM
QuoteIm reading it will be below freezing.

You could have weather like a cold spell in Ireland or it could be -20C.
I'd check close to the date so that you can decide whether to pack the thermals.

Definely pack the thermals for February. Better to have too many clothes than too little... unless your a woman
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

el_cuervo_fc

Heading to South Africa tomorrow for Umgolaarmagh's wedding.