Parking restrictions enforced around Croker

Started by Louth Exile, April 21, 2008, 11:57:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Parking restrictions enforced around Croker
18 April 2008

GAA supporters attending big games at Croke Park this summer are facing 2km-plus walks following Dublin City Council's decision to enforce a parking exclusion zone around the stadium.

New bye-laws will mean patrons won't be allowed to park within a 2km zone from all of Dublin's major stadia and entertainment venues, including the new Lansdowne Road, The Point the RDS.

Only residential permit holders will be allowed to park their cars in the vicinity of Croke Park during specific hours around match or event times. The new bye-laws will come into effect later this summer for international matches, concerts and the latter stages of the All-Ireland championship.

Croke Park stadium director Peter McKenna feels the new parking arrangement is especially unfair to the elderly and to supporters travelling long distances to attend games at Croker.

"The economy of Dublin benefits enormously from events and matches in Croke Park and other venues," he said.

"It seems a very harsh way to penalise the people who are actually fuelling the economy."

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=93263

I am surprised that nobody has posted this already, I think we should discuss this injustice and non sensical decision to impose it on us patrons of Pairc an Crocaigh, particular older patrons and those who have mobility difficulties.
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

Donagh

Had the same feeling when I read this the other week. Turns out though, that what is not mentioned there is that Clonliffe College, the best spot for those with mobility problems, will still be open for parking.

orangeman

Quote from: Donagh on April 22, 2008, 12:06:48 AM
Had the same feeling when I read this the other week. Turns out though, that what is not mentioned there is that Clonliffe College, the best spot for those with mobility problems, will still be open for parking.
[/b]

Another quare money spinner !! Whatever will they think of next !

heffo

Ridiculous decision, it'll probably mean less people traveling to Croker.

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility

donelli

i agree and think the restrictions will put a lot of people travelling to croker.
Seemingly they are modelling this on the arsenal ground in london. thats ok if the fanbase is local and can use public transport. This is not an option for the majority of gaa supporters as the public trancsport links are poor. The majority of fans still travel by car to the games..
Not speaking for myself but sad to say that if the 2km plan is adopted, people will avoid the hassle and choose the tv.

Sandy Hill

Terrible place to get out off; the last time I used it I couldn't get out until almost 8 o'clock! Never again.
"Stercus accidit"

Donagh

Quote from: Sandy Hill on April 22, 2008, 05:06:49 PM

Terrible place to get out off; the last time I used it I couldn't get out until almost 8 o'clock! Never again.

I'd normally travel with the oul fella who can't walk as well as he used to so this is the handiest place for us. If you get down early and get parked near the front you can make a quick enough getaway. Should be even quicker now with less traffic in the surrounding streets.

Zapatista

You can drive to the train station and take one, two or three (depending on where you are coming from) trains to Connolly Station and then take a train to Drumcondra saving you the need to take the car (costing you per person)...unless of course you are from Donegal, Tyrone, Fermanagh, Cavan or Monaghan where you can do the same by bus. Parking would be no problem if you and your parents and young children would avail of these resourses.

Bord na Mona man

For a lot of people this will be a major headache.
Many matchgoers don't know Dublin well enough to park in a different area and get public transport to the match. I think it will dissuade people from travelling. Especially people who might find the walk a lot of trouble.
There is limited public transport, but a few thousand extra people using these options will put a big strain on them.

My feeling is that DCC and the other Godfathers of the city seem to regard matches in Croke Park as an awful endurance to bear.
Yet when the prospect of the Irish soccer or rugby teams playing abroad was raised, there was consternation at the huge loss of money to the Dublin economy this would cause.

Hardy

Spot on BnM Man. They should at least be organising Park and Ride facilities - preferably free, given the input to the local economy represented by tens of thousands of GAA fans. (Excluding the Cavan fans who bring their own tay, sandwiches and moonshine).

orangeman

Quote from: Hardy on April 23, 2008, 10:33:43 AM
Spot on BnM Man. They should at least be organising Park and Ride facilities - preferably free, given the input to the local economy represented by tens of thousands of GAA fans. (Excluding the Cavan fans who bring their own tay, sandwiches and moonshine).

Some chance ! Is there that much wrong with the current system ?

armaghniac

QuoteYou can drive to the train station and take one, two or three (depending on where you are coming from) trains to Connolly Station and then take a train to Drumcondra saving you the need to take the car (costing you per person)

This is only true if most people don't choose to do this. For big games in Croke Pk it is easier get a ticket for the game than a train ticket and extra trains will not be put on, even if people want to use them. Some information on how to get to Croker should be provided, with the corollary that if people actually want to use these public transport modes that extra services will be laid on to deal with the demand. That said some "fans" expect to park at the door and to be accommodated even if they are blocking someone's gate.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

orangeman

Quote from: armaghniac on April 23, 2008, 05:29:39 PM
QuoteYou can drive to the train station and take one, two or three (depending on where you are coming from) trains to Connolly Station and then take a train to Drumcondra saving you the need to take the car (costing you per person)

This is only true if most people don't choose to do this. For big games in Croke Pk it is easier get a ticket for the game than a train ticket and extra trains will not be put on, even if people want to use them. Some information on how to get to Croker should be provided, with the corollary that if people actually want to use these public transport modes that extra services will be laid on to deal with the demand. That said some "fans" expect to park at the door and to be accommodated even if they are blocking someone's gate.

And what's wrong with that ? The househoder simply rings up the corporation and they get a € 50 bounty !

HalfFitHalfBack

Strange that this is being brought in time for the championship and after the rugby and soccer lads are done with Croke for a while.