Leinster Club Football and Hurling

Started by Unlaoised, October 29, 2015, 11:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmy P

I can't help but agree with Woolys assessment on Newstalk last night that Portlaoise generally suffer when a game needs to be closed out. They are never challenged in Laois and got a soft run to the Leinster final this year apart from maybe Sarsfields. That may not have been a vintage Boden team either however they were a lot more street smart than the town. McCauley was immense and Portlaoise had no one to live with him.

Really don't know if there is an answer for Portlaoise. Too good for Laois not good enough for Leinster unfortunately. They will be sick but hard to blame Cahillane on his own. Even after that miss Boyle had a somewhat easy chance in front of goals but managed to drive that wide to along with Brodys 45.

Giovanni

Couldn't agree with that at all Jimmy P.

I thought that on the contrary Ballyboden couldn't live with Portlaoise yesterday. Portlaoise were better than Ballyboden in my opinion (at least or 5 points the better team). Their passing was crisper, their tackling was better, their discipline was excellent and their handling was superb in very difficult conditions. A lack of competition in Laois cannot explain a missed 13 metre free or the chances that dropped into the goalie's hands. These things just happen sometimes - that's sport. But overall, if you look at the quality of the football played by Portlaoise, they would have been very worthy champions had those few small things turned out differently.

Last year, Vincents were the better team and deservedly won the game. The year before, there wasn't much in it but Ballymun could claim that they were marginally the better team on the day. But on Sunday, I think Portlaoise were clearly the better team that didn't have much luck. This happens but it doesn't have anything to do with the competition in Laois. Since the county championship, they have beaten the champions of Longford, Kildare and Carlow (24 hours after winning the county final) so unless they're all shite too, I think Portlaoise have been tested as much as anyone.

On the individual performances, I thought Smith was the standout player along with Healy. Both would be huge additions to the county team.

Jimmy P

I suppose we may agree to disagree.

My point was Portlaoise dominated in stages yet could never get ahead and put distance between themselves and Boden. To answer your question also having been at the 3 games yes the Longford and Carlow champions were shite. Sarsfields could have possibly beaten them to and were a much sterner test .

Surely a more competitive home championship would have gotten them over the line in Leinster at this stage? You say Boden couldnt live with them but were they (Ballyboden) ever in any serious bother?They would have been IF Portlaoise converted half their chances but they didnt and against lesser teams you get away with that. Against quality opposition you do not.

9 in row is an achievement but IMO is somewhat being tarnished by their lack of success outside of the county. 2 Leinsters and no All Ireland's in that time confounds this. Look at what Cross have done in the same time. And my original point was Portlaoise had no one to stay with McCauley and I stand by that point. He was immense in fairness but I think he really exploited Portlaoises lack of physicality in the middle. If he done what he did to Whelan against Cross do you think he would have sauntered in to set up a score? Extremely doubtful

Catch and Kick

Quote from: Jimmy P on December 08, 2015, 04:20:27 PM

My point was Portlaoise dominated in stages yet could never get ahead and put distance between themselves and Boden. To answer your question also having been at the 3 games yes the Longford and Carlow champions were shite. Sarsfields could have possibly beaten them to and were a much sterner test .

Surely a more competitive home championship would have gotten them over the line in Leinster at this stage? You say Boden couldnt live with them but were they (Ballyboden) ever in any serious bother?They would have been IF Portlaoise converted half their chances but they didnt and against lesser teams you get away with that. Against quality opposition you do not.

9 in row is an achievement but IMO is somewhat being tarnished by their lack of success outside of the county. 2 Leinsters and no All Ireland's in that time confounds this. Look at what Cross have done in the same time. And my original point was Portlaoise had no one to stay with McCauley and I stand by that point. He was immense in fairness but I think he really exploited Portlaoises lack of physicality in the middle. If he done what he did to Whelan against Cross do you think he would have sauntered in to set up a score? Extremely doubtful

I think that is nonsense.
Portlaoise had lots of chances to win this game; if they won it no one would say it was handy. They were clearly the more natural footballers and dominated for long spells. It isn't the best Portlaoise team; there are certainly some weaknesses but what they are is a great unit.
Hats off to them, they can hold their heads high.
No one can deny they have been the most consistent team in Leinster in the last ten years.

Saint75

Quote from: Catch and Kick on December 08, 2015, 05:57:38 PM

Portlaoise had lots of chances to win this game; if they won it no one would say it was handy. They were clearly the more natural footballers and dominated for long spells. It isn't the best Portlaoise team; there are certainly some weaknesses but what they are is a great unit.
No one can deny they have been the most consistent team in Leinster in the last ten years.

Maybe if more of them played with the county team the experience of the higher level might get them over the line.

Catch and Kick

Quote from: Saint75 on December 08, 2015, 10:16:55 PM

Maybe if more of them played with the county team the experience of the higher level might get them over the line.

I wouldn't feel that is a significant factor. They do what they do very well; Portlaoise are a very professional outfit, always have been. Truth is other clubs could learn from how they prepare. And i'm not a Portlaoise man. Not even a supporter of them but i do admire the way they play and how they approach the game.

maccer

1st of all i'm a townie no longer living there. i hope the players realise how proud we are of them. they were magnificent sunday. sometimes things don't go your way but from what i know of them they'll be back next year trying again.

portlaoise play a fantastic pure brand of football.. they trust their backs to go man for man and win battles. at times during the year i was waiting for the full back line to be destroyed but they grew as the year went on and i thought that line was great sunday. of course youre going to give up chances when you line out that way but i'd rather watch that type of football than some of the fare offerred. they are all footballers and dont shy away from the ball.  i hope portlaoise never abandon their football philosophy.

dont believe portlaoise are too far off winning another leinster. they seem to have good young players coming through again. some day they will be caught in laois. just hope its a team playing exciting football. sitting back and containing them doesnt work in laois. time some club threw off the shackles and had a real 'go'.

dont know how many as individuals can really offer what's needed for laois. dont believe it just as simple as 'start me or i wont play'. hope seale is brought on board. looks like he could really develop into something special

Unlaoised

Good debate.

Love watching Portlaoise play and I'm not a Town man.

They were very very unlucky Sunday and the better team lost.

I agree if a few more of them were brought into the County then they might have a little bit more composure to get over the line in these encounters.

Also agree they need maybe an enforcer or two MDM's elbow was a disgrace on Whelan and he should have got a slap for it instead of him strutting up the field with the ball after it(is there anymore hated footballer at the minute).He was in the ref's ear all day as well but Portlaoise should have nipped it in the bud to stop him getting away with what he liked.
LAOIS ABÚ

High Fielder

A good effort but once again Portlaoise come up short. They have no midfield to speak of and they know it only too well. Scores came easier for Ballyboden who had a platform in midfield while Portlaoise had to build from the back. Rodgers had a shocker and they spent too long trying to bring him in to the game. Bruno had the beating of the full back and should have been isolated on him much more. Portlaoise need to bring in one or two if they want to win a Leinster. What's coming through isn't good enough and they certainly have no midfielders.

maccer

Don't think midfield was problem Sunday. Can remember lillis, whelan & glynn all catching high balls in there in 2nd half when town were really putting the pressure on.
Can't understand why mdma is getting so much praise he kicked away some amount of ball. Dublin weren't long dumping him to subs when a footballing midfielder (Fenton) came along. He's a workhorse and a bully but he's far from genuine midfielder. He should have dominated Sunday but he didn't

redsetanta

The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Giovanni

Quote from: maccer on December 09, 2015, 02:58:27 PM
Don't think midfield was problem Sunday. Can remember lillis, whelan & glynn all catching high balls in there in 2nd half when town were really putting the pressure on.
Can't understand why mdma is getting so much praise he kicked away some amount of ball. Dublin weren't long dumping him to subs when a footballing midfielder (Fenton) came along. He's a workhorse and a bully but he's far from genuine midfielder. He should have dominated Sunday but he didn't

I'd fully agree with this. I thought Portlaoise (surprisingly for me) cleaned up in the middle third, thanks in no small part to Smith. They dominated possession in the game, which you can't do if your middle third is not performing. I don't think you'd have picked McAuley out as any kind of "footballer of the year" on that display. Keaney was far more influential in my opinion.

Jimmy P

And having read that I feel that is nonsense! Ballyboden had lots of chances also and took the majority of them. Would that Portlaoise team have won 9 in a row in Dublin? Absolutely not. They win a championship of reduced quality year in year out and are always found out against real quality. I have nothing personally against Portlaoise and to win 9 in a row anywhere is an achievement but my point is that it is actually this success that is their downfall.

Hats off to them they gave what they have but ultimately it was not enough. They have been consistently been the best team in Laois over the last 10 years but to say the most consistent team in Leinster is rubbish. 2 wins from 9 appearances with no All Ireland's? Hardly a consistent return

maccer

Quick question then. Who has been the most consistent or successful club in Leinster over the past 10 years?

redsetanta

The game on Sunday could have gone either way as there was little between the teams. If anything Portlaoise just didn't get any lucky breaks. Lets be honest when will you see Cahillane miss a 13 metre free again.
Portlaoise were more than capable of winning that game and most commentators have said that Portlaoise were the better team on the day.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi