Who would want to be Laois manager?

Started by beano, June 24, 2015, 12:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Giovanni

I think you'll probably find that the GAA doesn't have "more than enough" to start paying the salaries of well over 1500 inter-county hurlers and footballers from around the country. Paying them an average of 20k a year (hardly a sufficient wage the majority of players) would cost 30 million a year.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Of course it can work. Thinking it can't work is very narrow minded. Look at all all of the pro sports in the world. They make it work, of course they didn't start off as huge as they are now. It's the only way forward. It will be in place within 10 - 15 years in my opinion.

SpeculativeEffort

It could be professional if there were only 12 teams. The unbalanced archaic county system must come crumbling down eventually.  Imagine, we put Leitrim with 25,000 people up against Dublin with 1.5million and tell the people in Leitrim to be proud of the jersey and that's enough for ye. We all should be proud of where we come from but 85% of the country feels like losers because of where they were born. There's people born with talent and a winning mentality in every club in Ireland but our system makes sure only the ones from the counties with the most resources get to taste success. The rest can dream but can be guaranteed they will never make it without transferring.

Tony

Stupid post.  "85% of the country feels like losers because of where they were born."?!?! Where did you get that statistic? YourArse.com.

Almost everyone I know is proud of where they came from.

OTF

Quote from: SpeculativeEffort on October 10, 2015, 12:27:51 AM
It could be professional if there were only 12 teams. The unbalanced archaic county system must come crumbling down eventually.  Imagine, we put Leitrim with 25,000 people up against Dublin with 1.5million and tell the people in Leitrim to be proud of the jersey and that's enough for ye. We all should be proud of where we come from but 85% of the country feels like losers because of where they were born. There's people born with talent and a winning mentality in every club in Ireland but our system makes sure only the ones from the counties with the most resources get to taste success. The rest can dream but can be guaranteed they will never make it without transferring.

Exactly how I see it.
There's also a huge number of players from the big counties lost because they don't make the first 24.
The AI championship was originally a club competition, a professional GAA will probably see  a return to the same system with half of the 12 teams Dublin based.
How Sky get on with their promotion experiment will have a big say in all of this.

SpeculativeEffort

Quote from: Tony on October 10, 2015, 09:20:47 AM
Stupid post.  "85% of the country feels like losers because of where they were born."?!?! Where did you get that statistic? YourArse.com.

Almost everyone I know is proud of where they came from.

I gave my opinion. I didn't try to rubbish yours. Most people are proud of where the come from but I know a huge number of people who feel they have to win something to honour their place. However, the odds are stacked heavily against about 26 counties in both codes who will live under a consistent cloud of failure with a few much bigger and better resourced counties carving up the spoils between them and accepting the plaudits. It's a crazy system. If we were starting the GAA from scratch in 2015 we would NEVER come up with the current county system.

Cruella De Vil

It'd be naive to think transfers wouldn't happen if it went pro to any degree, how long would Laois be able to hold on to Kingston, willie Hyland, and the likes, better resourced counties would find ways of ensuring they moved.
As bad as the club set up is now, if you had pro or semi pro elite panels, the club scene would be a complete farce. when the provinces in the rugby went pro, the club scene was destroyed. Currently AIL games would only be attended by one man and his dog. How many times did o'gara kick for cork con, bod for blackrock or the likes, virtually none. If it turned pro, as a club manager, you need never worry about finding someone to mark donie, or willie Hyland, they'll be in the stand, under orders from their employers.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Great win for the Mick Lillis trained Palatine in today's Carlow Co. Final.....

http://www.hoganstand.com/football/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=245376
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Giovanni

Not sure that there would be too much interest in having 12 professional teams sucking a large proportion of the resources of the Association. Would this be 6 hurling teams and 6 football teams or only football?

Whatever chance the smaller counties have now, professionalism would simply make the differences more acute (and further reduce the likelihood of a Laois or Clare making a breakthrough).

As regards that article Junior, I am not an expert on finances of the GAA but I have a strong suspicion that there is some serious double or even treble counting going on there. Since a large part of the money is flowing from one part of the Association to the other, it's easy (and incorrect) to add all the incomes of the various arms of the Association and say that the income is a EUR 100 million a year.

Tony

Cahilane, Kingston, Ross.

I like the sound of that FF line. I hope a good few of the portlaoise lads will join the squad this year.