Laois minor hurlers 2015

Started by Tobias, March 09, 2015, 03:49:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merman

I wouldn't think for a second that's a dummy team.
Aaron Dunphy has been tried fleetingly at 6 and but for injury, probably would have had a sustained run there before the Wexford game. There is an element of risk in dropping him back with no championship/serious experience but like the last day, he has two serious men beside him and he certainly has the ability to have a huge impact there!

I'd also disagree with dropping Robbie Phelan back as I thought he was our most dangerous forward last year. I'm glad to see him at 14 am he could do some serious damage there...

redsetanta

With all due respect to Meath we should be far too strong for them so playing Dunphy there tomorrow shouldn't pose that much of a risk.

Great they have a chance to redeem themselves and best of luck to all.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

merman

Best of luck to Laois today.

I fully expect them to blitz Meath and get their year back on track.

TheGreatGame

Comprehensive win for the minors it seems, 3-24 to 0-5 at the moment.  Interesting to see that Wexford and Kilkenny went to extra time, with Kk winning by a point.  Good win for Dublin over Offaly as well.  Seems there's very little between Ls, Dub, Wex and Kk this year.

As we've already played Wexford I'm assuming it's us v Offaly in the quarter final which would be in Portlaoise?

redsetanta

They racked another 3 goals on which is good to see albeit against poor opposition. 6-26 last I heard. Yeh, we played Offaly in Tullamore last year. I assume the winners of Westmeath and Carlow will play Wexford. Is the draw already predetermined as to who plays Kilkenny or Dublin in semi finals?
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

portlaoisekid

O'Moore park has to be the venue vs Offaly by virtue of a home and away arrangement with our beloved neighbours .

Redsetanta, According to Leinster GAA website the semi finals are yet to be drawn.....

Tobias

Like other posts, I wouldn't be reading too much into that game. I would 100% disagree with playing Aaron Dunphy at centre back. He is the most exciting prospect in the county and our best forward with ball in hand. He has the ability to destroy any full back and has a serious goal threat. Real top class forwards are hard to come by and cannot be manufactured. I think we have options for centre back but moving Aaron back there is a mistake. Anyway this team is back on track and hopefully they can fulfil there potential.

merman

I don't really see that we have that many options for centre-back to be honest; plenty for the wing but with the possible exception of Conor Phelan, no natural 6. Dinny Cahill did ok against Wexford but he hurls a little from behind and doesn't dominate the way Aaron potentially could, Stephen Phelan would have regularly hurled there for B/K but he's doing very well further forward, Lee Cleere and Liam O' Connell are just born wing-backs and I don't really see any of the subs parachuting into such a crucial position.
I agree that Aaron is a loss from the forwards but we still have plenty of fire-power to give this Leinster championship a good rattle.

Tobias

Liam O Connell played there last year, Lee Cleere would be well able, Conor Phelan, Stephen Phelan, Robbie Phelan and Dinny Cahill are other viable options. Personally I would put Stephen or Robbie there and leave the rest of the back line intact. While both Stephen and Robbie are good forwards they don't posess the same lethal threat that Aaron does. Either way that team will be hard bet.

portlaoisekid

I honestly believe we have the players and mgt to win Leinster and more but my doubt is our mentality and belief....

redsetanta

Even though it's an open draw for the semi final, should we beat Offaly the likely opponents will be Kilkenny as Wexford should beat Westmeath and they have already played the Cats.

On the belief thing I think these younglads will be ok in that department. They came very close to KK last year, hurled Wexford off the pitch for 30 mins and some of them have Leinster schools medals in their pockets. They just need to be told that they have the talent and skill and if they perform to their best they are a match for anyone.
It's a long time since a Laois hurling team at any level has been in their position so there is pressure on this set of younglads.

Unlaoised

Felt a bit for Meath as we have been on the end of them scorelines down through the years...

The game will tell us nothing but these young lads can defo hurl and I fancy they could win this Leinster title yet...Mark Kavanagh is a fantastic player who would grace any county team!
LAOIS ABÚ

TheGreatGame

Taken from CLG Laois facebook site:

Laois Minor Hurling Manager Pat Critchley has announced his starting 15 for Saturday's Electric Ireland Leinster MHC clash with Offaly in O'Moore Park at 3PM
http://laoisgaa.ie/taggedNe.../359091/.../minor_hurling_v_offaly
1. Stephen Kelly (Rosenallis)
2. Joe Geaney (Portlaoise)
3. Conor Phelan (Castletown)
4. Cillian McEvoy (St Lazerian's Abbeyleix)
5. Liam O'Connell (Rathdowney Errill)
6. Aaron Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
7. Lee Cleere (Clough Ballacolla)
8. Sean Downey (Ballinakill)
9. Stephen Dunphy (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
10. Stephen Phelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)
11. Martin Phelan (Castletown)
12. Aaron Bergin (Portlaoise)
13. Mark Kavanagh (Rathdowney Errill)
14. Robbie Phelan (Clough Ballacolla)
15. Eanna Lyons (Ballyfin)

TheGreatGame

Going to be a tough one again on Saturday I'd say.  From what I've seen of the footage of the Dub v Offaly game it looks like their strongest line is matching up against what I'd perceive as our weakest, which is a worry.  As is the fact that we don't seem to know our strongest starting 15 yet.

On the other side, there is no doubt that some of the young lads on this team have more potential than anything that has gone before them for quite some time.  Saturday is a day I hope they show that potential, because no better county than Offaly to rain on our parade!  We need a lift after last Sunday, here's hoping the minors provide it!

portlaoisekid

Offaly are very good apparently, havent seen them myself but they have a number of quality players from what I hear.

Hopefully the weather clears up and we get a good dry spell for this match, it should be a cracker. Laois have talent but talent wont be enough to win this match or any match from here on in.  Laois hurling needs a win tomorrow.