Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hurlingballs

They as in cushendall, there was no ambulance there either and one didn't come. He did go to hospital and is in a full leg cast!! An emergency car came hardly the most appropriate vechicle to be transporting someone with a leg injury?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hurlingballs on November 12, 2018, 09:46:02 PM
They as in cushendall, there was no ambulance there either and one didn't come. He did go to hospital and is in a full leg cast!! An emergency car came hardly the most appropriate vechicle to be transporting someone with a leg injury?

I was doing a game this year and an ambulance and an air ambulance came for a lad injured.. seems strange that Armagh could only muster a emergency car!

Bad form
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Tony Baloney

That's poor organisation by someone as Armagh has an Order of Malta and there is a St. John's depot nearby too. The car must have been local Doctor On Call.

paddyjohn

Quote from: Jesusjones on November 12, 2018, 06:03:22 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 12, 2018, 04:00:33 PM
Quote from: Sheugh Water on November 12, 2018, 03:43:59 PM
Quote from: paddyjohn on November 12, 2018, 12:03:53 PM
Quote from: Hejustkeepsdroppingballs on November 12, 2018, 11:50:17 AM
Paddyjohn

'Donegal? Why in caps?'

Why not?

Why emphasise where the ref is from?

Would be more inclined to emphasise that he is in actual fact a football ref primarily.

Wasn't at the game but I have to say there is a terrible tendency with hurling referees throughout Ulster to blow for every little contact.

We had a visiting club up from Cork during the Summer and they commented on that a number of times during the games played

But sure some refs is our own county are football refs and end up being very good hurling ref and vice versa.

Imagine the uproar if the Dall would of lost.

I don't care if the referee is from Donegal or if he referees football as well, it would be nice if he could answer how off the ball a player hits another in the balls, the linesman sees it, calls in the referee and tells him what happened and the referee gives a yellow card. Surely it's a red all day long?

You'd think so JJ.

You sobered yet?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on November 11, 2018, 04:47:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2018, 04:44:24 PM
Quote from: Harold Disgracey on November 11, 2018, 03:57:34 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 11, 2018, 02:52:10 PM
We hammered Keady, they were shite Tony Baloney!

You were the better team and thoroughly deserved your win but I wouldn't say you hammered Keady. The Dungannon ref in the first half rode Keady big time.

Ok we won by 7 points and we were the better team, I was winding up tony who thought we'd get it hard! Which we didn't, we won with 14 men for 30 minutes, job done
great to c st galls had one of their own at the helm - Good luck for the All Ireland

In hurling we've never had an outside manager, we've had coaches from other clubs though..

Connaught final this weekend, the Galway champs have couple of All Ireland winners so they be favs for that match..

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Jesusjones

Quote from: paddyjohn on November 12, 2018, 10:53:08 PM
Paddyjohn

'Donegal? Why in caps?'

Why not?

Would be more inclined to emphasise that he is in actual fact a football ref primarily.

Wasn't at the game but I have to say there is a terrible tendency with hurling referees throughout Ulster to blow for every little contact.

We had a visiting club up from Cork during the Summer and they commented on that a number of times during the games played

But sure some refs is our own county are football refs and end up being very good hurling ref and vice versa.

I don't care if the referee is from Donegal or if he referees football as well, it would be nice if he could answer how off the ball a player hits another in the balls, the linesman sees it, calls in the referee and tells him what happened and the referee gives a yellow card. Surely it's a red all day long?

You'd think so JJ.

You sobered yet?

No drink taken. Was at work yesterday morning. As a Loughgiel man said to me a few years ago after beating us in a championship final "We hey bigger fish tay fry!!!"  ;D ;D ;D

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

Miltown Row 2

'It seems to be the thing for a certain club at the minute to give off about refs!'

And what certain club would that be?

If a player is bad he gets slated if the referee like in Sundays case was brutal and missed numerous red cards he will be slated too. Not rocket science

cfclg

Some ref bashing goes on in here! Probably the same in every county.

I volunteer a lot within my own club and love it. But if someone asked me to volunteer to be a referee I wouldn't do it. I'd need at least £200 per game to put up with the abuse and grief you will inevitably get.

Fair play to those who do volunteer to referee. A thankless task if ever there was one.

Jesusjones

Quote from: cfclg on November 13, 2018, 12:25:19 PM

I volunteer a lot within my own club and love it. But if someone asked me to volunteer to be a referee I wouldn't do it. I'd need at least £200 per game to put up with the abuse and grief you will inevitably get.

Fair play to those who do volunteer to referee. A thankless task if ever there was one.

Obviously everyone appreciates what referees do in the GAA but being a referee doesn't automatically make you infallible or above scrutiny. And when a referee doesn't take the necessary action to protect players welfare then you are quite within your rights to question them. As it happens our own resident referee MR2 has on a few occasions explained decisions he has made or the way he has dealt with incidents during games. Other referees could take a leaf out of his book. 

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

Jesusjones

'Obviously everyone appreciates what referees do in the GAA but being a referee doesn't automatically make you infallible or above scrutiny. And when a referee doesn't take the necessary action to protect players welfare then you are quite within your rights to question them'

Very well put I could not agree more

podge

Quote from: Jesusjones on November 13, 2018, 05:43:52 PM
Quote from: cfclg on November 13, 2018, 12:25:19 PM

Obviously everyone appreciates what referees do in the GAA but being a referee doesn't automatically make you infallible or above scrutiny. And when a referee doesn't take the necessary action to protect players welfare then you are quite within your rights to question them. As it happens our own resident referee MR2 has on a few occasions explained decisions he has made or the way he has dealt with incidents during games. Other referees could take a leaf out of his book. 

Agreed. I think the standard in Antrim, particularly in the higher divisions is fine.  However, too often in the Ulster club series, at all grades, matches are being turned into a free fest with an apparent desire from refs to show that they know the rules by blowing minor techical indiscretions and calling frees from almost all physical contacts. Meanwhile some of the serious off the ball stuff and late tackles go unpunished.

The presence of an assessor in the stands rarely has a positive impact on the flow of a game IMO.

If anyone thinks that the Ulster club matches and the Munster club matches are being refereed in the same fashion, they are seriously deluded.  In fact even the Antrim championship and the Ulster club series are different.

Milltown Row2

Look the free fest that's being talked about is what everyone wants! If you ref a game the lines on both sides plus players are calling for frees all the time!

I'd rather have the game flow, and that may mean some 'fouls' being viewed as borderline and allow the game to continue, there are some gift of frees like push in back, lift ball off the ground, pulling early (that one call it early, generally cuts it out) pulling shirt, the hardest one is the handpass, it's getting more difficult as the game is quicker.

Other refs may have a different view on this but watching games on Tg4 there is less bitching by players, they take a hit and get on with it.

As for playing with southern refs there is plenty of Antrim players on the Cushendall team to know how to play certain refs..

I'm the worst supporter when watching my team. But the ref (both refs) did a decent job, we'd a lad sent off for two yellows, no complaints from me on that, there was some I'd have let go and others I'd have let play carry on.. balls moved forward for slabbering which I do every time

I did notice that the advantage rule wasn't used too much, couple times but the conditions weren't great so taking a free probably best.. 

When I took our seniors I spoke the team about each ref, what they 'allowed' and what was their particular style of refereeing, during the run to the All Ireland I spoke with our then current national refs to gauge the best approach.. definitely worth a few scores a game

So to finish up, all refs are different and view the game differently but try and apply the same rules!!  The best referees who have the best assessor reports might not always be the best ref!

CornerBackNo2

Paddyjohn

'Donegal? Why in caps?'

Why not?

The ref in question is living in Donegal but is from Kilkenny originally I believe.

ciaran1988

With championship over for most of our clubs, is there any players that have stood out for you and should be in our new managers (whenever appointed) panel to improve on last year. Or even is there any player that you feel shouldn't be in the panel

Jesusjones

Quote from: ciaran1988 on November 15, 2018, 05:04:54 AM
With championship over for most of our clubs, is there any players that have stood out for you and should be in our new managers (whenever appointed) panel to improve on last year. Or even is there any player that you feel shouldn't be in the panel

Well for a start I'd have James McNaughton in centre forward. He looks capable of taking some of the scoring burden off McManus and if we can do that I think we'll have a better rattle at the Joe McDonagh than we did last year.