Heaney blasts BBCNI

Started by bennydorano, November 06, 2007, 09:06:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogball XV

rrhf

I hope Heaney dosent get the chop over this too. 

ziggysego

Quote from: Puckoon on November 14, 2007, 12:29:53 AM
Just out of interest, does anyone know what Jerome Quinn thinks of this whole thing?

I think we know now ;)
Testing Accessibility

lawnseed

all yez had to do is say i refuse to pay my tv licence for your pathetic coverage of our national games. hit them in the pocket. it never fails. if we all did it and went to games with banners rte would delight in showing them, the beeb would have to show the same scenes since they share the same cameras.. or they'd cut to jarleth and martin.. its hard to win this one
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

Mike Sheehy

so which poster was Jerome Quinn ?

rrhf

lawnseed

just a wee update on this one the beeb have been granted an extra chunk of money to enhance thier coverage this will put another £15/annum on the tv license, so more soccer i'd say >:( >:( >:(
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

snoopdog

Cant be bothered going through 13 pages of thread.
But i know the coverage of GAA on the news is pretty poor.
But in all fairness to the BBC id say they show more live GAA than rugby and soccer. They show every Ulster championship game and any further match in the All Ireland series that involves ulster teams.
Although their coverage of club scene is poor.
What is the general gripe on?

armaghniac

QuoteCant be bothered going through 13 pages of thread.
What is the general gripe on?

So you want someone who has read the thread to tell you to save you the trouble.

The BBC do provide quite a bit of specific GAA coverage. However their general news coverage often gives the impression that the GAA is not of interest to the general population and their coverage of general GAA outside the 6 counties is extremely uneven, e.g. they might fail to mention a compromise Rules game while always mentioning a hockey international or the like.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

ziggysego

Quote from: rrhf on August 06, 2010, 11:41:52 AM
Ziggysego

Due to outstanding legal issues, I've been advised not to comment.
Testing Accessibility

DoireGael

Sent a complaint to the bbc generally about the lack of coverage of the Ulster Club Championship Games on radio or television, for the craic.........

Heres the reply........

Thanks for your e-mail.

I understand you feel that there's insufficient coverage given to Gaelic Football.

We try to give a wide range of sporting activities as much airtime as possible. I'm sure you can appreciate, that despite our best efforts, we cannot accommodate the myriad tastes of all sport lovers. A difficult decision has to be made by the BBC on the amount of time available to report on the days sporting results and which live sport will receive live coverage. The choices we make will not be appreciated by all sections of our audience.

However I appreciate that you feel we should provide greater coverage on BBC Northern Ireland.

I'd like to assure you that I've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Kind Regards

Eamonnca1

Interesting piece here about the BBC v GAA issue:

MacKenna On Monday: White-Collar Sectarianism Treats GAA Like Second-Class Citizen

Some choice quotes:

Quote"Here, in a place with the population of a medium-sized city, a sport that attracts crowds that don't look bad on an international scale has literally never crossed the paths of half of the community. The story even goes that Mark Robson, the first presenter of BBC's Championship programme, stood on a sideline in Clones for the first time and asked aloud, "Where are all these people coming from?" He got through the youth of his life without knowing about it, but many others have gotten through their entire lives. Part of that comes back to media and to BBC Northern Ireland."

Quote"Acceptable behaviour is their acceptable behaviour. We were always told that GAA can get on the news if you can find an angle on a story. Yet Ulster rugby has to be covered via press conferences where nothing is said. It is different rules, different standards. It is always made more difficult for GAA, it's not a level playing field, but the hierarchy don't see that."

Quote"I tuned into @BBCIreland Saturday afternoon in the car expecting to get commentary of Derry v Kildare in the Qualifiers but instead was treated to riveting coverage of an in-studio darts challenge in their Saturday Summer Club programme."

Seems like things have gone downhill since Jerome left.

thejuice

Are we obliged to use the bbc as the way to get our games broadcast? We have the means, the wherewithal and the money in the GAA and the northern Irish community to do it ourselves. Why do we have to be beholden to the bbc? Sticking around like an abused wife won't do us any good.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Eamonnca1

Not the point. They're a public service broadcaster and their sporting output should be a fair reflection of what people are interested in. If they're going to talk about sport on the evening news then the All-Ireland winners returning home shouldn't come three items after a non-story about some boxer who may or may not be up for a fight in a few months.

seafoid

Quote from: DoireGael on September 01, 2010, 09:28:21 PM
Sent a complaint to the bbc generally about the lack of coverage of the Ulster Club Championship Games on radio or television, for the craic.........

Heres the reply........

Thanks for your e-mail.

I understand you feel that there's insufficient coverage given to Gaelic Football.

We try to give a wide range of sporting activities as much airtime as possible. I'm sure you can appreciate, that despite our best efforts, we cannot accommodate the myriad tastes of all sport lovers. A difficult decision has to be made by the BBC on the amount of time available to report on the days sporting results and which live sport will receive live coverage. The choices we make will not be appreciated by all sections of our audience.

However I appreciate that you feel we should provide greater coverage on BBC Northern Ireland.

I'd like to assure you that I've registered your comments on our audience log. This is the internal report of audience feedback which we compile daily for all programme makers and commissioning executives within the BBC, and also their senior management. It ensures that your points, and all other comments we receive, are circulated and considered across the BBC.

Thanks again for taking the time to contact us with your concerns.

Kind Regards

, We try to give a wide range of sporting activities as much airtime as possible. I'm sure you can appreciate, that despite our best efforts, we cannot accommodate the myriad tastes of all sport lovers"

That is a non argument in the GAA context. Maybe they could roll it out to explain why showjumping gets fewer hours than usual.

GAA is as big as soccer in NI and doesn't get the respect it metrits on the BBC.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU