UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on February 01, 2008, 06:42:21 PM
Turned it over to network 2 there and 2 guys were discussing the weekend sport. Talked for a few minutes about the 6 nations starting and then a few minutes on the superbowl. The "expert" was asked if he thought american football would catch on with the irish, he said he couldnt see it and that we'd probably stick to the rugby.

The GAA gets ample coverage on RTE1, but it should of course get a mention on RTE2.

PS: American Football is doing alright in Ireland. Growing slowly. IAFL has had an average of 2 new teams joining every year.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

The BBC and UTV seem to have upped their game lately, I got to admit. Glad to see it guys and gals. Hopefully they'll keep it up. :)
Testing Accessibility

Maguire01

There's too much GAA on the BBC and UTV these days.  :P

But seriously, as far as news bulletins go, they're about as good as RTE;  the only difference is RTE have English Premiership in place of Irish League. 

orangeman

Credit where it's due -

ziggysego

The two channels had excellent coverage of the Rock's All-Ireland game.

Last year UTV didn't even mention it.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Duagh from Kerry and erm... can't remember the other team.
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

can't remember the other team.

Really ?? You really should get yourself seen about !  ;D ;)

bloody mary

did anyone notice the difference on monday nihgt when utv led their sports with a report on the national league and the bbc didn't have a single league game? they instead went with ulster rugby (surprise, surprise) from a game on friday night which had already been shown over the weekend. then they had a linfield goalie and then the rock but not any national league. still a big difference in mindset. in other words, the bbc totally ignored the league on tv over the weekend - not even a point on saturday, sunday or monday, whereas utv thought it was their biggest story on monday. and while i'm on it, what is the craic with the new deal, like why are they saying they might or they could? sounds like they will come back later and say 'ah, but we didn't say we definitely do all that' - imagine the north west races being announced like that. you still can't bloody (mary) trust them!

ExiledGael

Are the BBC allowed to send cameras to the nearest national league games and show a few brief highlights for news purposes?
Seen UTV done a decent round up on Monday of a few games, would they have spent a penny on that really?

timmyot501

I hear the BBC are going to show all of the ulster championship live in 2008. All 8 games!

umpire

Congratulation to BBC for showing all 8 Ulster Senior Chamionship games live this year,this is brilliant news for a number of GAA fans who are unable to travel to games especially the older people.

Rick O Shea

Quote from: umpire on February 21, 2008, 09:44:54 AM
Congratulation to BBC for showing all 8 Ulster Senior Chamionship games live this year,this is brilliant news for a number of GAA fans who are unable to travel to games especially the older people.

My understanding of it is that the BBC can only show matches that RTE are showing - i'd doubt if RTE will be showing all 8 Ulster Championship matches!

Tyrone Dreamer

I see on UTV that 25 year old Ryan McMenamin returns for Tyrone as well as winger Ryan Mellon. Just hope that Mellon can get some good ball into the box for our strikers who can beat the off side trap to hit a goal or 2. Hopefully we can keep a clean sheet at the back to.

ziggysego

Who's this 25 year old Ryan McMenamin?
Testing Accessibility

KIDDO 4

Turned 30 , last November , soIam sure he is glad to be listed as 25.