UTV & BBC & RTE & TV3

Started by Tyrone Dreamer, August 02, 2007, 06:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

Good old UTV. Not a mention of the 2 close to sold out matches in croke park this weekend involving ulster teams. Instead most of the sports bulletin taken up by talking about the wonderful attendance of 15000 at the Glentoran Man U friendly last night. I know they'll give the gaa a brief mention tomorrow night but with 2 such bg games coming up you'd think there'd be a bit of injury,ticket news etc during the week.

ExiledGael

Can't blame them for showing a good bit from the Glens match, but to ignore the GAA at the weekend is a joke, when probably 30,000 Ulster GAA fans are travelling to Dublin for GAA.
But as someone pointed out in todays Irish News, they showed as many live games from the milk cup as they did from the Ulster Championship, pathetic.

Rossfan

Why dont all GAA people in the 6 Cos write in to UTV/BBC and point out they will not watch their Stations in future. Also any GAA owned Companies who advertise with UTV - threaten to withdraw your advertising.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

snatter

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 03, 2007, 02:13:07 PM
Quote from: wobbller on August 02, 2007, 07:27:29 PM
  The war may be over in political terms but the inbuilt bigotry is continuing and in fact it's increasing.MLA's should be the first port of call but I they are off on their "teacher length" holdays at present but sure they are elected for another while now and will do nothing to canvass support until the next election. The Irish News should up the campaign they had earlier in the season and invite fat Nolan to reply instead of showing up at some Club in the midle of Tyrone to try out Gaa--go try something that is new like the rubbish that UTV showed earlier--WAKEBOARDING.
I think its the opposite

the BBC in England HQ along with UTV chiefs have realised that as part of an overall All Ireland sports coverage package, GAA is going to be left to be covered by RTE who are the experts on this.
So no point in wasting money with the TV station they will be liasing with and merging with in a couple of years time!
:)

Yeah BUT....HUGE NUMBERS IN NI CAN'T GET RTE.

That's why BBC NI, under their public service broadcasting obligations, should either

1. give us decent, ie comprehensive ireland wide GAA coverage, eg a magazine programme like Breaking Ball. It could be bought in or co-produced with rte.
OR
2. Admit that they're not up to the job and lobby the Govt to allow RTE to be broadcast FTA in the north.

Imho, this is one area that BBC NI should be ploughing its resources into.
Surely the whole ethos of local BBC output is to reflect how each region differs from the UK as a whole.
You couldn't get much more different than gaelic football, ie the best attended sport in NI.
Percentage wise, more people attend gaelic football in NI than watch cricket in England, yet BBC NI coverage is ZERO.

If BBC NI were a serious regional broadcaster, it would be broadcasting huge amounts of GAA to justify its existence.
I would go as far as arguing that GAA output in NI needs to be increased to match BBC NI's soccer output.
But instead, all we get is minimal 2 or 3 minutes coverage.

Look at BBC NI's soccer coverage this week: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/shared/bsp/hi/tv_and_radio/programme_guide/html/day2.stm?1418

We have hours of soccer highlights
             hours of horse racing
             hours of rugby internationals
             hours of the london triathlon
             over an hour of motorbike racing with Stephen Watson

AND SWEET f**k ALL COVERAGE OF NORTHERN IRELAND'S BEST ATTENDED SPORT.
A COMPLETE DISGRACE.

Oh and I haven't even started on UTV.
Does anybody know wat its regional broadcasting obligations are, ie the terms under which they were granted their contract by OFCOM?

orangeman

Don't pay the licence fee - and when it goes to court, blame Stephen Watson.

Leo

Quote from: Rossfan on August 09, 2007, 09:14:20 PM
Why dont all GAA people in the 6 Cos write in to UTV/BBC and point out they will not watch their Stations in future. Also any GAA owned Companies who advertise with UTV - threaten to withdraw your advertising.

Neither of thee things will happen. We should look at our own organisation and ask just how effective a job our various PR departments from Croke Park down are doing about it. A more effective action would be deny BBC & UTV access to teams etc. at All-Ireland final stage when they ignore it all year.

Best comment I heard in a long timme was during the wall-to-wall coverage that preceeded the Norn Iron England soccer game last year -from first item on the main new bulletin to massive newspaper coverage - and the anticipated "massive attendance" of 14,000 people - was from an old Tyrone friend who said "For f..k's sake ye'd get a bigger crowd round the chip van in Clones".

Fierce tame altogether

ONeill

Wish people would quit whinging about British Broadcasters. How much GAA was on the RTE news today at 6? Some people go out of their way to be offended.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

ziggysego

I can't help but think back to a time when the OWCers where complaining about the BBC and UTV not showing enough of the local soccer and some people from laughed, stating they had little to be worried about. Then when they suggested, like a few here, of starting a letter writing campaign to the channels to highlights their concerns, yet more people here laughed and mocked them....... Just saying, that's all.......
Testing Accessibility

ExiledGael

How much GAA was on the RTE news O'Neill, wish I knew as can't get access to it.
Northern coverage of the GAA is a very worthy complaint

Maguire01

Derry v Dublin the first feature on tonight's UTV Sport just there now. Monaghan v Derry go a fleeting mention.

Mack the finger

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 10, 2007, 06:25:27 PM
Derry v Dublin the first feature on tonight's UTV Sport just there now. Monaghan v Derry go a fleeting mention.

And not a mention of the Nicky Rackard cup. Pathetic.

Maguire01

BBC NI reporting live from Monaghan town in next 5-10 mins - BBC1 - tune in now!

orangeman

They're listening !!!

ONeill

Don't fool yourself. BBC have always done a GAA feature on a Friday.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

I take back the criticism. This week BBC have been a wonderful presenter of local sport. Last night they had a 40 minute show on international superstar David Healy. Various celebrities on including Patrick Kielty to talk about his greatness. Tonight from 7.30 to 10.00 you can watch Northern Ireland versus Liechtenstein, cant wait! If your still not satisfied then milk cup fever from 10-10.30 on bbc2 is bound to put you to bed happy. There's also build up and reaction every night on newsline. This Friday there'll be live coverage of the Ireland Italy rugby friendly. On reflection it was unfair to expect a half an hour gaa magazine programme on bbc 2 for a few weeks during the summer months.