Sam Maguire 2024 Group 1 - Galway, Armagh, Derry, Westmeath

Started by GAABoardMod5, May 13, 2024, 01:06:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Manning18

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on May 14, 2024, 04:02:01 PMConor Lane, didn't give a stonewall penalty on O'Boyle, which would drew the game if scored. From the same play Galway broke up the field to score a goal from Cummins.

I was down in front of that getting drenched Wasn't a pen. I do remember Lane giving Galway 2 or 3 soft frees alright that Gary Sice kicked over. Derry were hard done by but considering Galway nearly won by double scores in the end it's a stretch to say he was the difference. Neither team were going anywhere fast that year

Brendan Cawley is in the middle Sunday, the worst referee in the rotation by a country mile. Hopefully he can have as little impact on proceedings as possible but I won't hold my breath

How are Derry shaping up injury wise aside from McGrogans unfortunate long term issue?

Estimator

Cawley was the man in the middle for the AI semi between Derry and Galway in 2022. Thought he was v harsh on Derry in the first half that day. Just hope he is anonymous on Saturday evening, but I'd doubt it.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Keyser soze

Quote from: JoG2 on May 14, 2024, 03:25:03 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 14, 2024, 02:30:43 PMDon't have any faith in Derry getting a result against Galway, don't think we have ever beat them in Senior championship.

Last time we played them in Q's, Conor Lane gave us as sore a riding as I've ever seen from a referee.

PS sorry to intrude on an Armagh thread lol

This version of Derry has played Galway a few times, lost 2 and won 1, league / championship. So history, bogey team etc wouldn't come into my thinking. Home advantage and their inside forward line does. If I was a gambling man I'd say there will only be a kick of a ball in it with Galway winning a fairly open game of football. Could be a cracker. Hope I'm wrong

I'm not sure what your point is, or if you're agreeing or disagreeing with me.

No version of Derry has ever beaten Galway in championship, you can be sure that will be a factor on saturday.

JoG2

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 15, 2024, 01:53:39 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 14, 2024, 02:30:43 PMDon't have any faith in Derry getting a result against Galway, don't think we have ever beat them in Senior championship.

Last time we played them in Q's, Conor Lane gave us as sore a riding as I've ever seen from a referee.

This version of Derry has played Galway a few times, lost 2 and won 1, league / championship. So history, bogey team etc wouldn't come into my thinking. Home advantage and their inside forward line does. If I was a gambling man I'd say there will only be a kick of a ball in it with Galway winning a fairly open game of football. Could be a cracker. Hope I'm wrong

No version of Derry has ever beaten Galway in championship, you can be sure that will be a factor on saturday.

Injuries look like being the main factor atm if true

screenexile

Quote from: JoG2 on May 15, 2024, 01:55:30 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 15, 2024, 01:53:39 PM

Injuries look like being the main factor atm if true

I'm hearing McEvoy is the main doubt and the others should play... in that case who picks up Comer?

It's a 50/50 game even if we're fully fit. I think recent results have pushed Derry out of the top 3 and back into the group of 6 teams that could all beat eachother on a given day.

Derry/Galway/Armagh - Donegal/Tyrone - Mayo.

You'd expect all of these will get into the last 12.

armaghniac

Quote from: Keyser soze on May 15, 2024, 01:53:39 PMNo version of Derry has ever beaten Galway in championship, you can be sure that will be a factor on saturday.

Janey, even Armagh has beaten Galway.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

lurganblue

Quote from: armaghniac on May 15, 2024, 06:44:38 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on May 15, 2024, 01:53:39 PMNo version of Derry has ever beaten Galway in championship, you can be sure that will be a factor on saturday.

Derry wans trying their hand at the cute hoorism here? Sure Derry were in the big three talk with Dublin and Kerry not just a few weeks ago.

tbrick18

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 08:33:34 AM

Derry wans trying their hand at the cute hoorism here? Sure Derry were in the big three talk with Dublin and Kerry not just a few weeks ago.

Definately not in my opinion.
Top 3 talk was mostly coming from outside Derry, whereas the rest of us realists were/are hopeful rather than expectant. Been around Derry too long to set the bar of expectation too high.
After the Donegal defeat, and the manner of that defeat, confidence has taken a hit. Now with an abundance of injuries to key players and the fact we are away to Galway - its a case of travelling in hope rather than expectation I feel.

imtommygunn

93-DY-SAM

Quote from: imtommygunn on Today at 09:32:34 AMWho are the injuries other than McGrogan?

McEvoy & Conor Doc is the news going around. Which if true is a massive blow to us and tips the scales in the direction of Galway.

Sorry forgot to include Murphy in that who is still injured by all accounts.

Keyser soze

Quote from: lurganblue on Today at 08:33:34 AM

I would be more confident going to Kerry or Dublin and getting a result than I am about saturday due to our previous with Galway.