Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

I agree but all fair rules will favour the stronger counties so that doesn't matter. Players want games and not knockout competitions so lets give them that even if it means bigger counties get more from it. We can't please everyone all the time.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Zulu on June 01, 2018, 12:38:02 PM
I agree but all fair rules will favour the stronger counties so that doesn't matter. Players want games and not knockout competitions so lets give them that even if it means bigger counties get more from it. We can't please everyone all the time.

Yep, no problem with that.In my view you could play the U20 alongside the minor and senior because of the age partitioning. There's no crossover.

Zulu

Exactly, you could give all IC players 7 games in 10 weeks and then have club games because there's no crossover at IC level but if you've to allow an 18 year old play U20 and senior IC hurling and football then clubs would have to wait 3 or 4 months, maybe more if one of those four teams are successful.

Thankfully the GAA are no longer catering for the 1% of elite young dual code athletes and instead are looking at the other 99%.

Cunny Funt

Winning at the age group of U21 in the past and now U20 becomes more important because a winning mentality is one of the most important things needed for the step up to senior. Plenty if not most of the skillset of a footballer is done in development panels. Those deemed good enough are promoted up and then the objective is to bulk them up and make them physically ready for the senior game.

The best example is Dublin, minor and levels below is treated as development football and even right now at U17 level to the untrained eye some are judging that team on results alone. U21 was treated as adult grade by Dublin and won 4 All Irelands in 7 years meanwhile 1985 to 2017 Dublin only won one minor All Ireland title.

As i said before U21 level was a well ran tournament but wasn't perfect however only small tweeks is all the U21 grade needed than scrapping it.  Zulu you are entitled to your opinion on this also but nothing you have said has remotely changed my views on this topic. It is what it is right now but in time HQ should have the common sense to make the changes again and bring in a better or make the necessary improvements for this replacement tournament for the U21 championship as only so long can you run with diluted tournament played at the wrong time of year.

Blowitupref

Roscommon U20 team. Oddly some of their best minors of the last few years only named on the bench and haven't named their senior sub keeper at all?

1. Aaron Brady (Elphin)
2. Liam Cregg (Michael Glavey’s)
3. Evan Flynn (Tulsk)
4. Gerry Galvin (Tulsk)
5. Aidan Dowd , (Western Gaels)
6. Luke Mollohan (Elphin)
7. Darren Nerney, (St. Faithleach’s)
8. Conor Shanagher (Kilbride)
9. Eddie Nolan (St Brigid’s)
10. David Mc Manus (Clann na nGael)
11. Damien Duff (Clann na nGael)
12. Ciaran Lawless (Oran)
13. Paul Carey (Padraig Pearses)
14. Cian McKeon (Boyle)
15. Brian Derwin (St Brigid’s)

Subs

16. Richard Thompson (St Croan’s)
17. Keith Murphy. (Strokestown)
18. Dylan Ruane (Michaels Glavey’s)
19. Gavan Byrne (St. Brigid’s)
20. Lorcan Daly (Padraig Pearses)
21. Stephen Lennon (Tulsk Lord Edwards)
22. Cian Corcoran (Strokestown)
23. Michael Conroy (Castlerea St Kevin’s)
24. Ciaran Surgue (St Brigid’s)
25.Fergal Guihen (St Ronan’s)
26.Callum Fahey (Tulsk)
27.Kealan Byrne (St Brigid’s)
28.Darren Carroll (St. Brigid’s)
29.Conor Egan (Ballinameen)
30.Darragh Kildea (Clann na Gael)
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Sligo team named. No subs published.

Daniel Lyons (Shamrock Gaels)
    Oisin Conlon (Ballymote)
    Adrian Cummins (Calry/St Joseph's)
    Evan Lyons (Shamrock Gaels)
    Sean Murphy (Coolera/Strandhill)
    Mikey Gordon (Easkey)
    Luke Towey (St Molaise Gaels)
    Barry Gorman (Coolaney/Mullinabreena)
    Adrian Frain (Bunninadden)
    Rory McHugh (Easkey)
    Red Óg Murphy (Curry)
    Conan Marren (Tourlestrane)
    Joe McHugh (Easkey)
    Shane Deignan (Shamrock Gaels)
    Ciaran O'Dowd (Enniscrone/Kilglass)

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Mano

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 01, 2018, 02:19:49 PM
Sligo team named. No subs published.

Daniel Lyons (Shamrock Gaels)
    Oisin Conlon (Ballymote)
    Adrian Cummins (Calry/St Joseph’s)
    Evan Lyons (Shamrock Gaels)
    Sean Murphy (Coolera/Strandhill)
    Mikey Gordon (Easkey)
    Luke Towey (St Molaise Gaels)
    Barry Gorman (Coolaney/Mullinabreena)
    Adrian Frain (Bunninadden)
    Rory McHugh (Easkey)
    Red Óg Murphy (Curry)
    Conan Marren (Tourlestrane)
    Joe McHugh (Easkey)
    Shane Deignan (Shamrock Gaels)
    Ciaran O’Dowd (Enniscrone/Kilglass)

County senior reserve keeper not selected for Sligo U20 team either.

Zulu

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 01, 2018, 01:18:23 PM
Winning at the age group of U21 in the past and now U20 becomes more important because a winning mentality is one of the most important things needed for the step up to senior. Plenty if not most of the skillset of a footballer is done in development panels. Those deemed good enough are promoted up and then the objective is to bulk them up and make them physically ready for the senior game.

The best example is Dublin, minor and levels below is treated as development football and even right now at U17 level to the untrained eye some are judging that team on results alone. U21 was treated as adult grade by Dublin and won 4 All Irelands in 7 years meanwhile 1985 to 2017 Dublin only won one minor All Ireland title.

As i said before U21 level was a well ran tournament but wasn't perfect however only small tweeks is all the U21 grade needed than scrapping it.  Zulu you are entitled to your opinion on this also but nothing you have said has remotely changed my views on this topic. It is what it is right now but in time HQ should have the common sense to make the changes again and bring in a better or make the necessary improvements for this replacement tournament for the U21 championship as only so long can you run with diluted tournament played at the wrong time of year.

You claimed U21 was a great competition yet most teams were out after, at most, two games. How does that foster a winning mentality? What does that even mean anyway? The competition is only one of many those players take part in. I coach kids, some of them would kill you to win, others not so much, a winning mentality is inherent in players, you can't really develop it and you certainly can't with knockout football.

Dublin won U21's because they continued to develop players, not because they started focusing on winning.

You're entitled to your opinion but with respect, it's clear you don't coach as what you're saying is completely wrong.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Zulu on June 01, 2018, 02:45:13 PM

You claimed U21 was a great competition yet most teams were out after, at most, two games. How does that foster a winning mentality? What does that even mean anyway? The competition is only one of many those players take part in. I coach kids, some of them would kill you to win, others not so much, a winning mentality is inherent in players, you can't really develop it and you certainly can't with knockout football.

Dublin won U21's because they continued to develop players, not because they started focusing on winning.

You're entitled to your opinion but with respect, it's clear you don't coach as what you're saying is completely wrong.
I said it was a well ran competition and was the last of our old fashion knock out tournaments. Unlike you i believe a winning mentality is developed into a team and i certainly think it can be developed in a do or die knock out games and even in defeats plenty is learnt from it. What doesn't kill you makes you stronger and all that.

Dublins main development was done before those players joined the U21 grade and they only fine tuned things then. I have coached from U8 up to U16 getting children to first enjoy the sport then develop the skillset of the players. I have only briefly coached at adult level because the win at all cost mentality doesn't appeal to me as much.

One final word on this. In the future try to truly respect my opinion and the opinion of others and stop playing the arrogant and stubborn persona you like to play on here.

Zulu

Sorry now but you set the tone of this conversation with your eyes to heaven emojie to my post. I rarely post these days and wouldn't feel I do so in an arrogant way though I will debate a point and do respect the opinions of others, especially when they show the same respect unlike yourself.

You haven't made a strong argument supporting your position.

U21 IC was well run? All IC competitions are well run as far as I can see.

Winning mentality being developed through knock out competition, sorry there's nothing to support that and even if it could the old GAA formats only helped the biggest and best. Leitrim will rarely win anything under any format but at least group formats give the players games. This is especially imp[ortant at underage U20 and below where games and group training can develop players, not 3 moths of training for one game.

All development is mainly done up to U18 but transforming them into effective adult players is often done from 18 to 22/23. Again, one IC game per year does not help this.

Cunny Funt

Excuse me Zulu but you set the tone all by yourself with that bizarre view that "its a very good rule" and with your past views on this topic before i was not surprised.

It doesn't matter how often you post on here however without realizing it or not you have no respect for other opinions when you do post/debate on here and you stubbornly won't heed any argument to go against your own view. I believe i have made a strong argument supporting my position if you don't agree with that then fine move on but don't be giving this patronizing nonsense that you respect opinions when you clearly don't.

Zulu

So you lecture me about respecting others opinions but engage with my post by using an eyes to heaven emoji? I gave my opinion and didn't disrespect other views. I've now supported my opinion - it is a good rule because it prevents players representing multiple teams which is one of the biggest problems we've had in the GAA. Small numbers representing multiple teams has made a mess of club fixtures and over burdened talented players. If Sligo or Carlow have to make a tougher decision than Dublin to address this then so be it. We can't have it every way.

I don't think I disrespect others but if I have, I apologise, it's not my intention. I will debate my point and sometimes that does lead to dismissing the more illogical views but I agree that debates here should be done with respect for other views and if I don't do that then it's something I'll try to do in the future.

Mind you, you're still entirely wrong about this!

Cunny Funt

Apology accepted and i believe nothing i said was wrong.

Once again with that final sentence you prove you can't help yourself almost robotic like responses from you at this stage. Do try harder if not you will deserve another one of these in future  ::)

Rossfan

Could ye open yer own feckin thread and leave the Connacht Championships alone.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM