The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: trileacman on May 22, 2018, 10:59:27 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 22, 2018, 03:24:59 PM
Something more basic like a  'backcourt' rule where you cant pass it back into your own half once you have crossed the halfway line, might be a better place to start

I considered that idea but I reckoned too many teams would be toying with the idea of crossing the half way line which would be an equally pathetic spectacle.

Quote from: OgraAnDun on May 22, 2018, 04:52:21 PM

The slow build up possession football is only a symptom of the blanket defences. It is the 13/14/15 men behind the ball defending that causes the attacking team to retain the possession going over and back probing until a gap appears in the defence.
The underlying problem is with 13+ players inside the defensive 45m line there is no space for the attacking team.  That's the problem that needs to be solved.
2 points for shots from outside the 45m line is a decent suggestion, as is 13 a-side. Any rule change needs to be easy to implement. restricting the numbers in any particular section of the pitch DURING open play is very hard to police, especially in club games where the only neutral official will be the ref.
Also, I don't think a 'shot clock' is a good option at all for 2 reasons. 1. not easy to implement at club level and 2. I actually think it would encourage more blanket defences. If a defence knows that it only has to keep the forwards out for 30 seconds (or a minute) it will encourage them to tighten things up for that minute safe in the knowledge that if they keep it tight they get the ball back.
Any rule change needs to discourage packed defences not reward them.

Precisely, it would reinforce the idea of getting all your men back and breaking as fast as possible - just don't give the opposition enough space to shoot for 30/60 seconds and you get possession back, easy.

The time clock is difficult to implement at club level and that is a serious flaw.

I think 13 a side games would lead to the further proliferation of gym monkeys as coaches would simply expect 13 players to do what the 15 once did. Also the greater amount of space would encourage guys who could run all day at the expense of fat lazy f**kers, hampering participation across the country and leaving less room on a teamsheet for a slower creative player. I fear 13 a side would mimic sevens GAA which, to my eye, is based largely on being fitter and more mobile than the opposition in an energy sapping 70 mins. I could be wrong though. Like all these things until they're trialed we'll just never really know.

You're second point isn't correct. Currently loads of players have opportunities to shoot despite being faced with a blanket defence, they choose not to as they're facing a low percentage shot and faff about with the ball until they either score somewhere else or waste the possession. It's too f**king ponderous. The score clock would force these players to face the problem head on and take the opportunity when it's presented. Players who could kick accurately whilst under pressure would become a premium commodity and mean the return of the most skillful exponents of the game.

Secondly if as you say teams just sit in a blanket for a minute then they're faced with the challenge of getting the ball the length of the pitch and scoring within 60 seconds, a tough enough ask if you've put 14 men behind the ball. You've stopped the opposition from scoring but at serious disadvantage to your own chances of scoring.

Maybe a time clock is a bollocks of a suggestion but I see very few options to disrupting the possession game with simple law changes. I can't see a "no backpass" or "keep the ball in the oppositions half" being anything but nigh unworkable.

Do me a small favour though and this weekend when you're watching a match, count the amount of times a player gets into a shooting position and opts out of it to "recycle" the ball back to a man behind him and you've to wait another 30 seconds of tedious hand-passing for the team to engineer a shot. Drives me mad.

Indeed. I do like Itchy's ingenious mill button idea but I have an even more revolutionary proposal. Imagine if some forward thinking (literally) county coach decided to quit spending two hours a night three times a week and three hours on a Saturday teaching his players whereabouts to hang about in their own half when the opposition has the ball and how to make sure they stay behind the ball carrier when their own team has the ball.

Instead suppose he gave all his players a ball each and spent all that time letting them practice shooting from 40-60 metres, maybe with a few lads from local clubs brought in to hang out of them while they do it. (Steaks for the club lads after training too - only fair.)

What would their opposition blanket defence do in the first championship match of the season as points rained over from lads who had been practising the primary skill of football for nine months?

I know. Kicking the ball? Am I mad?

mrdeeds

Ger Canning on commentary after doing game in Russia Friday.

Targetman

Pity he didn't stay there!!

befair

The World Cup gets RTE2 + HD; Sunday Game RTE 1 + a fuzzy picture, hard to see the sliothar

Tubberman

Quote from: befair on June 17, 2018, 03:08:32 PM
The World Cup gets RTE2 + HD; Sunday Game RTE 1 + a fuzzy picture, hard to see the sliothar

don't know what you're tuned  to but I'm watching RTE One HD
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

befair

Quote from: Tubberman on June 17, 2018, 03:21:35 PM

On Sky channel 161; is there another channel with HD?

Farrandeelin

Quote from: befair on June 17, 2018, 03:28:09 PM

Don't know about the North to be honest.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

oh you're in the north? can't answer so, I'm watching on virgin media in Dublin
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gael85

Gooch analysis is poor. Highlights Ciaran Murtagh scoring a point against Leitrim when it was actually his brother Diarmuid :roll_eyes:

JoG2

I've both, fuzzy vision on Virgin, but switched to the aerial (digital roof job) input and it's in HD (in the black north)

Farrandeelin

Marty is a mifhty man for letting us know the clubs of the players surely.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

joemamas

Quote from: Farrandeelin on June 17, 2018, 04:29:55 PM
Marty is a mifhty man for letting us know the clubs of the players surely.

Usual geography lesson missing so far.

Dessie being his usual captain obvious

Jinxy

Was listening to the game in the car and I have to say Cora Staunton was excellent on co-commentary.
A breath of fresh air.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

joemamas

Quote from: Jinxy on June 17, 2018, 06:51:26 PM
Was listening to the game in the car and I have to say Cora Staunton was excellent on co-commentary.
A breath of fresh air.

Nice to hear that.
Good for her.

mrdeeds

Joanne Cantwell takes no shite.