Donegal vs Derry

Started by Atticus_Finch, July 12, 2009, 07:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

With Donegal scraping past Clare, you would have to fancy Derry to win this quite comfortably.  No disrespect to Donegal but was hoping for a tougher draw, someone that would give Derry a bit more of a test and galvanise them for a good run in the backdoor.  Was hoping for Meath ...
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

Oakleafer1993

Expect Derry to win this one. However, Mcguckian will not be back until the following week - so our backs will have to pull their socks up.

Atticus_Finch

At least there will be a better travelling support from Derry,  well i'd like to think so with the game being in Donegal.  Can't remember his exact words but watched the game back there and Bradley made reference to the fact there was only a few souls that made the journey to Clones.
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

glens73

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2009, 07:21:13 PM
Derry at a canter.

Derry wouldn't want to get too far ahead of themselves based on one good performance, one swallow doesn't make a summer, and they've got carried away before on the back of one good performance.

Oakleafer1993

Quote from: glens73 on July 12, 2009, 07:28:31 PM
Derry at a canter.

Derry wouldn't want to get too far ahead of themselves based on one good performance, one swallow doesn't make a summer, and they've got carried away before on the back of one good performance.

glens73 you are right. I think will Cassidy will have them well prepared as they still have a hard road ahead of them. However, you have some neck coming around here preaching to us - you would nearly think you where from Kerry or somewhere. Donegal next week and Antrim the following!

Pangurban

This is a no-brainer, Derry to win comfortably in second gear

mc_grens

Major Banana skin for Derry based on past performances directl after a big win.

tbrick18

The fact is Derry are not as good as they seemed yesterday but quite a bit better than they were against Tyrone.
I was at the Derry v Donegal league game when donegal were playing to avoid relegation and they were really poor against half a Derry team. But this is championship and traditionally Derry have rarely followed up a good game with another good game so I wouldnt be overly confident.
I do think we are a better side than Donegal. My prediction will be the same as that for the Monaghan game, if Derry have the heads right they will win comfortably....if not, it could well be a Donegal victory. I just hope the players dont get too carried away with themselves after beating a mediocre Monaghan side.

Will this be in Letterkenney or Ballybofey?

glens73

Quote from: Oakleafer1993 on July 12, 2009, 07:34:33 PM
Derry at a canter.

glens73 you are right. I think will Cassidy will have them well prepared as they still have a hard road ahead of them. However, you have some neck coming around here preaching to us - you would nearly think you where from Kerry or somewhere. Donegal next week and Antrim the following!

My Ma is from South Derry and I followed them for years when I used to live back home, so I'm not preaching. I'm just stating that Derry frequently go and let themselves down when everyone thinks they're genuine contenders.

JMohan

Derry at a canter.

Good shout ... Derry as hot favourites is always 'squeaky bum time'

RMDrive

This will be a comfortable will for Derry. Derry are simply a better team and this Donegal team are lacking the passion and commitment that would give even a small chance of a surprise win.

The game will be in Ballybofey.

orangeman

Donegal to be put to the sword.

Trevor Hill

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on July 12, 2009, 07:27:15 PM
At least there will be a better travelling support from Derry,  well i'd like to think so with the game being in Donegal.

Will they take the car to Donegal instead of the motorbike?

peterquaife

As said before, a potential banana skin, Donegal have discipline problems yes, but also a good batch of talented fudballers. So if they click, and Derry have a bit of an off day, this game could go anyway. I've Donegal blood, so was hoping to avoid Donegal, but happy enough as its a lot less derv than heading til Killarney etc

Just glad to be through round 2, the walk to the car yesterday evening was a lot sweeter than this time last year when our summer, championship wise ended without any hunger

Donegal now have an issue regarding Karl Lacy: Skinner or Paddy?

thebuzz

Quote from: hardstation on July 12, 2009, 11:50:18 PM
Who to play on Paddy and Eoin? To have 1 man marking the two of them would be an improvement on Monaghan's defensive tactics. Donegal need to look at what Tyrone did in Casement. Have men who stick up their holes (literally). Their half back line have to read the game too. If they see a long ball going into them, pile in on top of the Bradleys. Look at the second goal yesterday. That, for me, showed everything that was wrong with Monaghan's defence. How can you let a danger man get free like that and take an easy catch, yards from goal? Pathetic defending. Paddy Bradley also got a point in the second half where the ball was kicked 50 yards and a Derry player caught it, in round his stomach, with 3 Monaghan players around him, just ball watching. Handed it to Bradley, straight over. I'd have taken all 3 off right away. Hadn't a clue. The first goal isn't worth comment. The third, although it looked good, Jesus Christ!! Paddy and Eoin are unreal when given space. Don't give them space and they can be shackled. Of course there will be an arguement that they make their own space. I don't really buy that. Their men have to stick to them even if it hampers their own game. You are a defender. Defend.

There's absolutely no way that they'll get that sort of space with Donegal. Derry will need to be on top form for this one. As I said somewhere else earlier, it's a long time since we won two games in a row in the championship. Donegal have improved since the Antrim game just as Derry have from the Tyrone game. I remember Spillane backing us in the past and it was always the kiss of death. Hopefully it won't be this time. Derry need to learn to handle the favourites tag.