So the south learns nothing.

Started by Hereiam, September 05, 2015, 10:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hereiam

Couldn't believe my ears yesterday evening when i heard that people building new houses or extensions to their homes in the south can opt out of the new building regs. What is wrong with government down there. For once they had done something right and now they have made a complete balls of it. Can someone explain how this can happen.

Denn Forever

I think people just expect it.  We've had it for the last 35 years.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

armaghniac

Learned nothing indeed, which is very sad. There was never a better opportunity to put things on a firm foundation, if you pardon the pun.
This building regs thing is a manifestation of a particular problem though. There was some recognition of the need to do something after the various debacles. The obvious thing to do was have a proper building inspectorate. But that would mean more public servants, and the Herald would be giving out about this being a burden on the citizenry. You'd also need a willingness to hire this particular category of employee while not hiring others, which would interfere with Howlin's wish to avoid having to manage by treating one sector differently from the other. So they brought in a largely self certified system, with architects etc signing off on work. Now you have problem with a small extension, self build or a small builder, perhaps a job well and safely done but nobody to sign off. Of course the cure is not to simply ignore tjhis but to charge a fee and have a nosey inspector come out and check that all is well,, but instead you get bollix. The problem is not that dengerous extensions will be built, although some will be, it is that everybody is happy with this bollix.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tony Baloney

Most 3rd world nations would be the same.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on September 05, 2015, 08:01:47 PM

Exactly right - a 3rd world country pretending to be a 1st world country. Sure we've all been to 3rd level, we're sooooo intelligent.  ::)

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 07, 2015, 02:01:45 PM

Exactly right - a 3rd world country pretending to be a 1st world country. Sure we've all been to 3rd level, we're sooooo intelligent.  ::)

A 3rd World Country? For fucks sake, would ye ever catch a grip.

stew

Fcuk sake Ireland is far from a third world country!
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: stew on September 07, 2015, 03:04:28 PM

Fcuk sake Ireland is far from a third world country!

Maybe, but it keeps on trying to become one.