Things that make you go What the F**k?

Started by The Real Laoislad, November 19, 2007, 05:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 09, 2020, 03:29:01 PM
Quote from: NAG1 on October 09, 2020, 03:20:01 PM
There needs to be some kind of system for those who are exempt from wearing a mask. Something akin to the blue badge for parking, that way there is accountability for wearing them and people can then confidently withhold services or whatever from someone who is not complying.

This is too serious for people just to do whatever they feel like.

I agree, but that costs money and there's none to spare.
The police need to take a zero tolerance approach to everyone.....for those who are genuinely exempt, let them appeal the fixed penalty. If its genuine, they should be able to supply supporting evidence to the appeal.
I think that would be less of an overhead to put in place.

Is criminalising the vulnerable ill and disabled really the best idea you can come up with?

LCohen

There needs to be some kind of system for those who are exempt from wearing a mask. Something akin to the blue badge for parking, that way there is accountability for wearing them and people can then confidently withhold services or whatever from someone who is not complying.

The police need to take a zero tolerance approach to everyone.....for those who are genuinely exempt, let them appeal the fixed penalty. If its genuine, they should be able to supply supporting evidence to the appeal.

Eh no. Not enough money for armbands but still enough money to run an appeals system?

RedHand88

There shouldn't be any exemptions in the first place.

armaghniac

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 09, 2020, 05:56:43 PM
There shouldn't be any exemptions in the first place.

Exactly, since the mask stops someone giving you the virus then nobody should be exempt. If you are unable to wear one then stay out of public buildings. I expect most people could be provided with a different design of mask or whatever, but if not then have the shopping delivered.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

armaghniac

Gemma O'Doherty and John Watters reckon the troubles were staged.
https://twitter.com/aciquestion/status/1314558950155657218

It is a bit sad to see someone parade an illness in public.

RedHand88

Quote from: armaghniac on October 10, 2020, 04:48:11 PM

She's hit a new low.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2020, 09:10:41 PM

She's hit a new low.

There is a lot of competition for that title. We can argue all night as to whether she is deranged or cynical, or both. But i cannot figure out why Waters is still involved.

He argued for decades that Ireland lost its sense of community to individualism. Now he is arguing the opposite. Individual rights trump social cohesion and public health. Its a total reversal and he cannot believe the shite she comes out with.

sid waddell

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on October 10, 2020, 10:45:18 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on October 10, 2020, 09:10:41 PM

She's hit a new low.

There is a lot of competition for that title. We can argue all night as to whether she is deranged or cynical, or both. But i cannot figure out why Waters is still involved.

He argued for decades that Ireland lost its sense of community to individualism. Now he is arguing the opposite. Individual rights trump social cohesion and public health. Its a total reversal and he cannot believe the shite she comes out with.
Waters is a deeply angry man who as he gets older longs more and more for an increasingly distant youth and an "old Ireland" which he now imagines to be a magical golden era

He is trapped in a De Valera comely maidens dancing at the crossroads fantasy

Even before he went loop the loop, there was a deep nostalgia and sickening sentimentality in his writing - I mean for the words "sickening sentimentality" to be read in the voice of Robbie Coltrane in Cracker when he was ridiculing the mindset of a murderer to his face

I think he longs for it to be 1936, except with the internet, diesel cars and rural electrification - don't know about inside bathrooms, he looks like he doesn't use them very much

In the absence of a time machine and LSD, Waters has found an outlet in blood and soil fascism and the cult like sense of identity it gives him

But this blood and soil fascism is deeply entwined with US far right libertarianism - it makes no sense on one level, but on another level it makes perfect sense, as fascism has always been a trojan horse for entrenched business interests

But the most important thing is "team, team, team", the Douglas Murrays and Stefan Molyneuxs and other head the balls he takes his cue from are saying the same things, so he follows

It's the only way he can find any sort of identity or meaning in life now

It's pretty tragic to watch

imtommygunn

There's an "Ulster Scots for trump" campaign  ???

They have been raising funds online and it is associated with jolene bunting who used to get Britain first to Belfast. (Until some fiasco with some card being stolen).

Bunting wouldn't be the sharpest but always seemed involved in these things.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 11, 2020, 09:01:35 AM

They have been raising funds online and it is associated with jolene bunting who used to get Britain first to Belfast. (Until some fiasco with some card being stolen).

Wouldn't be the sharpest is being very kind! She's as sharp as melted chocolate!

The power of the internet allows her to be heard though (as brutal as she speaks) by buck eejits.

Some people should be banned from social media
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Spreads a lot of hate. The internet has made her and the likes of Bryson have a voice.  Followers wouldn't be the brightest mind you.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 11, 2020, 09:01:35 AM

Trump's mother, Màiri Anna NicLeòid, was a Gaelic speaker, none of your Ulster Scots there.

tbrick18

Quote from: five points on October 09, 2020, 03:45:35 PM

Is criminalising the vulnerable ill and disabled really the best idea you can come up with?

It's not criminalising anyone, just like a speeding ticket doesn't criminalise anyone. It's a penalty for not following regulations. There's already an appeals process in place for parking tickets, speeding tickets etc so it would be relatively easy to extend the appeals process without the costly expense of having to create an entirely new system to manage exemptions.

I would imagine the genuinely ill and disabled will follow the regs and wear masks if they can as they are the people most at risk.

tbrick18

Quote from: LCohen on October 09, 2020, 04:09:02 PM

Eh no. Not enough money for armbands but still enough money to run an appeals system?

Eh why?
I don't know what you mean by armbands....perhaps I missed something in the thread. But to come up with a system to accurately assess people for exemptions will be costly and time consuming. We don't have the luxury of time or money.
Blanket rule across the board for wearing masks and for those minority who have a genuine reason to not wear a mask, they can appeal the fine. It would be quick to put in place and easy to implement as there's already an appeals process for things like parking and speeding tickets.
This process would only be an issue for those who have no reason not to wear a mask but refuse to do so. People who have no regard for the health or wellbeing of the majority. IMO, they deserve a fine.

five points

Quote from: tbrick18 on October 12, 2020, 11:56:52 AM
Quote from: five points on October 09, 2020, 03:45:35 PM

It's not criminalising anyone, just like a speeding ticket doesn't criminalise anyone. It's a penalty for not following regulations. There's already an appeals process in place for parking tickets, speeding tickets etc so it would be relatively easy to extend the appeals process without the costly expense of having to create an entirely new system to manage exemptions.

I would imagine the genuinely ill and disabled will follow the regs and wear masks if they can as they are the people most at risk.

Of course it's criminalising them.  Your speeding tickets analogy would only make sense if the police were going around issuing speeding tickets to drivers who never exceeded the speed limits.

The law provides exemptions from wearing masks and yet you propose fining those people who avail of the exemptions set out in law.

You clearly haven't considered that part of the reason for the exemptions in the first place is to protect those suffering from mental and psychologicial conditions that may be aggravated by the wearing of a mask.