Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebar

Guys / Girls looking any recommendations for a trail type shoe - I used a Mizuno Wave Harrier in the past which I liked it ok but it has since been discontinued. I run usually in local forest parks on fire roads etc with small bit of mud / tarmac - anyone can recommend anything for use in parks? Maybe the Wave Harrier was overkill but i really liked it so looking something similar if possible.   

lurganblue

A real new year post here... I'm planning on getting back into doing a bit of road running this year but before I get going I need to get sorted with some suitable footwear. Any recommendations for something that isn't too expensive but good for some short to medium runs?

laoislad

Quote from: lurganblue on January 02, 2020, 12:19:06 PM
A real new year post here... I'm planning on getting back into doing a bit of road running this year but before I get going I need to get sorted with some suitable footwear. Any recommendations for something that isn't too expensive but good for some short to medium runs?

I have a few different pairs that I use now that I know fit me well and suit me. I always keep an eye on the New Balance and Nike websites for sales and pick up a few pairs when they are on sale. At the moment I have New Balance Beacon, Nike Pegasus Turbo and a pair of Nike Zoom fly. None of them cost me anymore than €80-€90.
It's like anything, what suits someone else may not suit you.
I'd advise you to go into a running shop and try on a few different pairs.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

majestic

Been thinking recently about Running for GAA, and what would be best suited for a team with today's Sports Science. What type of training would be best for the modern day GAA team in terms of running for match fitness and performance.  My thoughts would centre around 200/400m work intervals, and speed development work - but with a club team is there an increased risk of injury as many may not be fit enough for intervals of this distance. How is it best to get someone to this level, shorter interval runs or build up using 5ks?
Any thoughts welcome.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: majestic on January 02, 2020, 07:51:56 PM
Been thinking recently about Running for GAA, and what would be best suited for a team with today's Sports Science. What type of training would be best for the modern day GAA team in terms of running for match fitness and performance.  My thoughts would centre around 200/400m work intervals, and speed development work - but with a club team is there an increased risk of injury as many may not be fit enough for intervals of this distance. How is it best to get someone to this level, shorter interval runs or build up using 5ks?
Any thoughts welcome.

I refereed Kilcoo couple of weeks ago, if you're looking a running team with pace you'd not go too far wrong with their training regime (whatever that is) as their fitness and speed level is the best I've seen
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

manfromdelmonte

A well organised trainer with helpers would have 3/4 training groups set up for running drills
Forwards and corner backs it's all speed, change of direction and evasion
Half backs, half forwards and midfielders need serious legs to get around the pitch and so longer runs at 75% speed
Then a group for older lads, injury prone players and returning from injury who would do shorter work in straight lines
Most running in a game is done at jogging speed so any recovery between sets would be done with movement

Just my tuppence

awideisneverasgood

Started last January with couch to 5k and built up to doing 10k regularly in the last few months.  Went to play a bit of 5 a side a couple of weeks and my achilles was sore afterwards.  I was limping for a couple of days afterwards but pain died away.  Tried doing 5k again there and it got sore again the next day. 

Anybody any experience with an achilles strain and how long it might take?

I'm doing all the stretches as per advice on the web but is it worth going to see a physio?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: awideisneverasgood on January 03, 2020, 12:08:25 AM
Started last January with couch to 5k and built up to doing 10k regularly in the last few months.  Went to play a bit of 5 a side a couple of weeks and my achilles was sore afterwards.  I was limping for a couple of days afterwards but pain died away.  Tried doing 5k again there and it got sore again the next day. 

Anybody any experience with an achilles strain and how long it might take?

I'm doing all the stretches as per advice on the web but is it worth going to see a physio?
Yes
Could be tendon injury or shin splints or a list of sruff

imtommygunn

Your glutes might not be firing right, you might have tight hip flexors...

Physio would know best.

I have suffered for quite a while with achilles problems unfortunately.

tbrick18

I haven't ran in probably 15 years...a litany of ankle and knee injuries put an end to me doing anything to taxing and I would have constant ankle and knee pain. I've piled on a fair few lbs too in that time, which doesn't help the joints either.
Looking at trying to shift a few lbs and get to a general level of fitness again and I think jogging is probably the most consistent way.
Any tips for getting going from basically a standing start? Long slow runs? Short fast runs? I'm basically a newcomer to running for fitness as I only ever had football training.

imtommygunn

You could try a couch to 5k program? They seem a good starting point for a lot of people.

laoislad

Couch to 5k definitely the best way to go.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Last Man

Quote from: tbrick18 on January 03, 2020, 12:13:37 PM
I haven't ran in probably 15 years...a litany of ankle and knee injuries put an end to me doing anything to taxing and I would have constant ankle and knee pain. I've piled on a fair few lbs too in that time, which doesn't help the joints either.
Looking at trying to shift a few lbs and get to a general level of fitness again and I think jogging is probably the most consistent way.
Any tips for getting going from basically a standing start? Long slow runs? Short fast runs? I'm basically a newcomer to running for fitness as I only ever had football training.
Set yourself a target that you are going to lose "x"lbs by a certain time, print it off and put it somewhere where you'll look at it every day. Also tell someone you know will support your efforts. The next thing to do is come up with a plan to stop/reduce the things that negatively impact your target. Small changes in activity, diet etc. can make a fair difference, then build from there.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: laoislad on January 03, 2020, 12:25:27 PM
Couch to 5k definitely the best way to go.
Yes. Focus on losing weight first though. The joints will thank you for it
Smaller plates, more veg and fruit and plan your meals  for the week.

Best of luck

imtommygunn

Yeah cross train more to start with maybe. Just build it up and it'll be fine.