Kimmage article about the scandal at O Dwyer's

Started by Asal Mor, June 03, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

You woundnt have an agenda would ya Baile Brigin?
I was told today that Kimmage himself was the person who was put out of the meeting is this true?

magpie seanie

Jinxy

Wait a minute, is there a suggestion that 'The Parent' is Kimmage?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

I don't think this story is going to go away in fact I think it will only escalate. Kimmage is like a dog with a bone when he gets into a story.

I'm not sure if a national newspaper is the forum to air local issues and the first story he wrote was very much a local issue I felt. There was no need to bring it to a national audience. However the issue around who paid the €20k for the Balbriggan chairman's legal settlement is not one that is going to go away until answered I feel.   

Jinxy

Kimmage's daughter plays/played for Clann Mhuire in the Naul, so I'm guessing he lives in the Naul/Balbriggan area himself.
If he has any personal involvement in the events described in this case, outside of his role as an objective journalist, he needs to state that very clearly.
Reading the account of 'The Parent' and his interaction with the chairman now, all I can hear is Kimmage's voice.
Might be way off but I don't like his selective approach to anonymity in this case.
I still want to know the origins of the payment to settle the legal proceedings, but something feels a bit off to me.
Don't think we're getting the full picture here.

thewobbler

Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2018, 10:26:19 AM
I don't think this story is going to go away in fact I think it will only escalate. Kimmage is like a dog with a bone when he gets into a story.

I'm not sure if a national newspaper is the forum to air local issues and the first story he wrote was very much a local issue I felt. There was no need to bring it to a national audience. However the issue around who paid the €20k for the Balbriggan chairman's legal settlement is not one that is going to go away until answered I feel.

I would reckon the general apathy and disinterest generated by his articles to date will lead to him finding a new sport for his disdain.

Local problems don't need national airing. I'm guessing he's worked that out too.

Croí na hÉireann

Can't imagine Kimmage leaving a meeting like the Parent did.

Don't have an issue with him detailing what shysters like Howley get up to in the national media either, can take 10 years to undo the damage egotistical heads like him cause.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

yellowcard

Quote from: thewobbler on June 12, 2018, 11:22:10 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 12, 2018, 10:26:19 AM

I would reckon the general apathy and disinterest generated by his articles to date will lead to him finding a new sport for his disdain.

Local problems don't need national airing. I'm guessing he's worked that out too.

It was very much a local issue but only up as far as the point where €20k was paid for on behalf of Liam Howley by a company associated with the GAA. That is the only part that is in the national interest since it appears as though this money has been sanctioned by GAA HQ to be spent at national level on behalf of an individual.

thewobbler

Yes but every club in Ireland is now centrally insured by the GAA for public liability and employer insurance. While this policy may or may not include defamation (I've no idea), I'd expect it was, as with all major claims, assessed and pursued centrally. It may have been more prudent to pay the sum from GAA funds rather than go through insurance and legals. Which, let's be honest, is normal behaviour.

While I wouldn't go so far as to say "there's nothing to see here", it's not perhaps as cloudy as it looks.

Jinxy

Garwyn Ireland Ltd. are an insurance company.
Dunno why Kimmage doesn't just say this in the article.

Hound

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 12:06:03 PM
Garwyn Ireland Ltd. are an insurance company.
Dunno why Kimmage doesn't just say this in the article.
Well we do. He wants to create controversy.
Like the BS about "nobody told my lad that he played well after the game"

Boycey

I was told yesterday by someone who be well placed to hear the inside track on this that Kimmage was the 'Parent' I'm sure Baile Brigin can confirm or deny this easily if they wish? 

IF it's true I'd be very disappointed in Kimmage to be honest..

Jinxy

Get on Twitter and ask the man himself directly, Boycey.
I would but I don't have an account.

Hound

Quote from: Boycey on June 12, 2018, 12:51:24 PM
I was told yesterday by someone who be well placed to hear the inside track on this that Kimmage was the 'Parent' I'm sure Baile Brigin can confirm or deny this easily if they wish? 

IF it's true I'd be very disappointed in Kimmage to be honest..
It does make sense. Certainly in the case of "The Parent" that was at the meeting. As he was told he'd no right to talk at a club meeting as he wasn't a member. 

Jinxy

Quote from: Baile Brigín on June 11, 2018, 05:00:43 PM
As a local involved in the club people seem to be missing two points.

1. The GAA, in the absence of any censure are perceived to be backing the club and Liam Howley.

2. Howley is destroying the club. And the club was struggling long before this incident.

The Driver is a committed Gael and refused to take money from the club. He is entirely the wronged party. His treatment is disgusting and the ordinary members have been cut off at the knees. Refusing to allow the kids on that team play, punishing them to get at the Driver, is a disgrace. We aren't losing kids to other clubs, we are losing them to the far better run soccer and rugby clubs in the area. Better facilities, none of this messing.

I can only assume the DCB and Croke Park are backing him because of the property play with Fingal CC to move up the road in a land swap. And they are having to do that because the facilities are a shambles.

I have serious fears for the club and efforts to get answers, let alone accountability have been stonewalled.

To the best of your knowledge,
a) Was Paul Kimmage in attendance at the AGM?
b) Was he 'The Parent', whose actions were described in the article?