Kimmage article about the scandal at O Dwyer's

Started by Asal Mor, June 03, 2018, 12:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Asal Mor

Can't post a link as I haven't found it online but anyone read this today? Unlike the Athenry article where he named and shamed volunteers over minor/disputed incidents, I'd say fair play to him on this one. It seems to have uncovered improper use of GAA funds by top officials, breach of confidentiality on a purportedly anonymous helpline and a very malicious allegation against a coach by the club chairman, whose apology came across as very begrudging.

I imagine we'll see a series of these kind of articles from Kimmage as he becomes a watchdog for disgruntled GAA club members everywhere.

trileacman

I thought it was another nothing article from Kimmage about a dispute at club level between two men. Is every coach who was ever ran out of a club to get a full page spread on their grievances in the sindo? "I said, he said" that's all I see in that article.

It would be very easy to take the taxi drivers word at face value but like any situation I'm sure there's two sides to this story. The problem with Kimmage's writing is that conjecture is often presented as fact.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Asal Mor

He offered the other side a chance to contradict any of the accusations levelled at them. They didn't.
Improper use of GAA funds by the association's leading figures, if proven, is not a "nothing" matter.

dublin7

Quote from: trileacman on June 03, 2018, 12:27:41 PM
I thought it was another nothing article from Kimmage about a dispute at club level between two men. Is every coach who was ever ran out of a club to get a full page spread on their grievances in the sindo? "I said, he said" that's all I see in that article.

It would be very easy to take the taxi drivers word at face value but like any situation I'm sure there's two sides to this story. The problem with Kimmage's writing is that conjecture is often presented as fact.

€20k cheques being issued from strange business names. Questionable behaviour at best by a club chairman. I think he is dead right on this one

Hound

Quote from: dublin7 on June 03, 2018, 03:54:40 PM

€20k cheques being issued from strange business names. Questionable behaviour at best by a club chairman. I think he is dead right on this one
Doesn't seem to be online yet. Is it O'Dwyers, Balbriggan?

Asal Mor

Quote from: Hound on June 03, 2018, 04:42:12 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on June 03, 2018, 03:54:40 PM

Doesn't seem to be online yet. Is it O'Dwyers, Balbriggan?
Yes.

bennydorano

Could be PK's new cause celebre. He's turned Turk a bit after calling out the Dubs for cheating and be rounded on by all & sundry.

IolarCoisCuain

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2018, 07:53:55 PM
Could be PK's new cause celebre. He's turned Turk a bit after calling out the Dubs for cheating and be rounded on by all & sundry.

Turned Turk?

gallsman

Really?!

Reads like corruption of the highest order to me.

Jinxy

This article is a different kettle of fish than the Athenry one a few weeks ago, which for me had a lot of 'He said, she said' stuff in it.
I think Tom Ryan needs to clarify what happened here.
Notwithstanding the issue of dumping the coach for no good reason, the accusation the chairman made to justify the decision was disgraceful.
He needs to be held to account, and the GAA need to be held to account re who actually paid the settlement.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

bennydorano

The money is the huge issue, not to belittle The Driver's situation but club fallouts could fill Local and National papers on a weekly basis year round.

Syferus

1. Kimmage writes article.

2. GAABoard usual suspects upset at Kimmage rather than the issue at hand.

3. Every else stares on blankly as the usual car crash thread happens.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Asal Mor

Quote from: Syferus on June 03, 2018, 10:10:08 PM
1. Kimmage writes article.

2. GAABoard usual suspects upset at Kimmage rather than the issue at hand.

3. Every else stares on blankly as the usual car crash thread happens.
You're making as much sense as usual. One poster criticised Kimmage. 5 or 6 posters praised him for bringing this to light.