GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eire90

Eire90

would the gaa ever put the hurling final and football final on same weekend one on saturday and one on sunday i would love that a weekend of finals

BennyCake

Quote from: Eire90 on March 27, 2020, 02:06:17 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on March 27, 2020, 09:33:26 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2020, 12:15:44 AM
How are  the weaker teams going to get a longer Summer ?(assuming any sport takes place during the Summer)
If this wet dream 32 County knock out competition materialises most weak Counties will be gone after 1 game.
At least with the Provincial/ Qualifier system they get 2 games in Summer.

Well, if Leitrim draw Wicklow, and winners played Waterford or Antrim - that's a lower placed team in the AI QF.

Likewise, Dublin Kerry in round 1. Winners play Mayo or Tyrone. There's 3 big teams gone before the QF.

was about to say same thing if thats how a weaker team can realistically make it to qf
Big odds on that scenario but not impossible. Would freshen the thing up. I'd be all for the open draw every year, not just this year.

Yeah, but is that such a bad thing?

The current format (even more than the pre-qualifier era) favours the big teams, and it's boring as hell.

Look at the 1st round games we've had in the past: Dublin Meath 1991, Derry Down 1994. Who wouldn't want that?

2008 FA cup. All the big teams went out. Portsmouth Cardiff West Brom and Barnsley were the last four. If we had the odd season like that, it would do wonders for the championship

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: BennyCake on March 27, 2020, 02:17:20 PM
How are  the weaker teams going to get a longer Summer ?(assuming any sport takes place during the Summer)
If this wet dream 32 County knock out competition materialises most weak Counties will be gone after 1 game.

Well, if Leitrim draw Wicklow, and winners played Waterford or Antrim - that's a lower placed team in the AI QF.

Likewise, Dublin Kerry in round 1. Winners play Mayo or Tyrone. There's 3 big teams gone before the QF.

was about to say same thing if thats how a weaker team can realistically make it to qf
Big odds on that scenario but not impossible. Would freshen the thing up. I'd be all for the open draw every year, not just this year.

The current format (even more than the pre-qualifier era) favours the big teams, and it's boring as hell.

Look at the 1st round games we've had in the past: Dublin Meath 1991, Derry Down 1994. Who wouldn't want that?

2008 FA cup. All the big teams went out. Portsmouth Cardiff West Brom and Barnsley were the last four. If we had the odd season like that, it would do wonders for the championship

Yeah, things like that happening have really seen the FA Cup go from strength to strength.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

given that corporate gaa is now all about the cash flow, the idea of intercounty games behind closed doors is not likely.

as I see it, with a recommencement in june or even july and trying to keep intercounty and club life alive in 2020.

1--the leagues will be voided.

2- the football championship will revert to the old style knock out...run the provincial series as drawn, then the winners into all Ireland semis....no backdoor..straight knock out...probably no London or New York in 2020.

3-- the hurling my need a ne knockout draw for munster and leinster....and then either let the 2 winners contest an all Ireland final...or allow all Ireland semis with the munster winner v leinster final loser etc.

4--you can finish the all irealand under 20s football,only 3 games left....the hurling equivalent cancelled.

5- most club games at senior level will not commence until late July or August and this will force most counties to revert to straight knock out championships.

6- forget about the club provincial and all Ireland series for 2020.

BennyCake

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 27, 2020, 02:48:35 PM

Yeah, things like that happening have really seen the FA Cup go from strength to strength.

Granted, the FA Cup ain't the competition it was 20 years ago, but just because Liverpool Arsenal or Man U didn't win the cup that year don't make it any less of a competition. Plus, you always had big shocks over the years, and lower league teams reaching the semis and final.

Would Cavan or Sligo winning Sam, mean the AI championship is a poor competition?

marty34

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 27, 2020, 02:48:35 PM

GAA is tbe complete opposite to other sports in that the team who wins the league is the best team.

The All Ireland, up until recently was the GAA's F.A. Cup - just a knock out.

Rossfan

So Dublin haven't been the best team the last 5 years?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Quote from: Rossfan on March 27, 2020, 06:39:46 PM
So Dublin haven't been the best team the last 5 years?

They are and have been and could have won league...if they wanted.

I'm saying other sports' best teams are considering the best team in that sport - the Gaa do it the other way.

Milltown Row2

Loving all the old stuff on Facebook due to the virus stopping us from playing/watching/supporting/officiating

The games of the past, photos that represent your GAA life and the memories people shared, great to reflect on past wins/losses feats and achievements !
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Today in particular with the 89 semi. Favourite game ever and probably always will be lol

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 28, 2020, 07:04:27 PM
Today in particular with the 89 semi. Favourite game ever and probably always will be lol

Was brilliant, I got he chills down my back, even now thinking about it
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

seafoid

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2020, 07:30:57 PM

There are a few seconds of the semi final from an Offaly perspective at the start of this

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/seinn/?pid=6112993261001&title=Michael Duignan&series=Laochra Gael&genre=Faisneis&pcode=491080
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on March 29, 2020, 08:44:40 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 28, 2020, 07:30:57 PM

There are a few seconds of the semi final from an Offaly perspective at the start of this

https://www.tg4.ie/ga/player/seinn/?pid=6112993261001&title=Michael Duignan&series=Laochra Gael&genre=Faisneis&pcode=491080

Very good, forgot he didn't start final!

Eire90

are the gaa strict about having the final in august/September  because i wouldnt mind seeing the all Ireland final played at 5pm on a late october or november  saturday evening i think atmosphere be great.