The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owen Brannigan

McGuigan started the case for the defence of Harte stating a 'county board faction' and some people in Tyrone wanted him to go. His only defence was who would want to come in to replace Mickey Harte.

Brick Tamlin

Quote from: Seany on August 27, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
I actually think Martin Carney is an excellent co commentator. Knows his stuff. Knows the players. Knows the game. What exactly are people looking for in a co commentator?

Are you taking the piss?
He might have knowledge but whenever he opens his mouth he certainly doesn't show it.
He certainly does not know the players. He gets their names wrong on an astoundingly regular basis. Actually a lot of the boys on RTE do.
There was a passage of play, maybe a Tyrone kickout (there were a lot of those) when Carney tried to make a point but stuttered, farted, spluttered and tripped over his words for about 7seconds and it ended up a mutter in the end. The man is absolutely dreadful. Plus the tone of his voice is nauseating.

doodaa

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 28, 2017, 09:08:46 AM
Quote from: Seany on August 27, 2017, 04:32:36 PM
I actually think Martin Carney is an excellent co commentator. Knows his stuff. Knows the players. Knows the game. What exactly are people looking for in a co commentator?

Are you taking the piss?
He might have knowledge but whenever he opens his mouth he certainly doesn't show it.
He certainly does not know the players. He gets their names wrong on an astoundingly regular basis. Actually a lot of the boys on RTE do.
There was a passage of play, maybe a Tyrone kickout (there were a lot of those) when Carney tried to make a point but stuttered, farted, spluttered and tripped over his words for about 7seconds and it ended up a mutter in the end. The man is absolutely dreadful. Plus the tone of his voice is nauseating.

Agreed. There are times ive contemplated watching a game in complete silence when he is commentating.

Brick Tamlin

On last nights show It was clear that McGuigan tried to brush the Cavanagh Kung-fu under the carpet and move on quickly. And then thon big flower Whelan didn't want to be drawn on it either by more or less doing the same.
It makes no sense to have fellas in the studio commenting or 'analysing' these games if they have a connection to said county or the players. Get some fellas in there who will call it as it is without fear of consequence.
A lot of whats said in the RTE studios is just ball-tickling nonsense for old pros.

lenny

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 28, 2017, 09:27:14 AM
On last nights show It was clear that McGuigan tried to brush the Cavanagh Kung-fu under the carpet and move on quickly. And then thon big flower Whelan didn't want to be drawn on it either by more or less doing the same.
It makes no sense to have fellas in the studio commenting or 'analysing' these games if they have a connection to said county or the players. Get some fellas in there who will call it as it is without fear of consequence.
A lot of whats said in the RTE studios is just ball-tickling nonsense for old pros.

They were trying to say it was irrelevant because tyrone were beaten but surely if the incident was looked at again and it was rightly upgraded to a red card cavanagh would be looking at a suspension for at least the first round of next years championship. Therefore it certainly isn't irrelevant.

yellowcard

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 28, 2017, 09:27:14 AM

Gutless is the word to describe those fellas. Cavanaghs act was a straight red, end of discussion.

BennyCake

All 3 pundits bottled it last night re: the karate kid. I expected McGuigan to defend him but not the others.

As for Harte staying as long as he wants, he should decide etc. That's nonsense. If the same logic applied, David Moyes would still be at Man U.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on August 28, 2017, 10:27:35 AM
All 3 pundits bottled it last night re: the karate kid. I expected McGuigan to defend him but not the others.

As for Harte staying as long as he wants, he should decide etc. That's nonsense. If the same logic applied, David Moyes would still be at Man U.

Arsene Wenger is a better example.

Main Street

I didn't see the evening show but the pundits on the afternoon show most definitely commented on the Cavanagh assault.

At the time I thought it was a late, reckless, dangerous challenge and well inside the red card territory but I don't agree with attributing intent or deliberation to Colm C's action, as Colm O'Rourke did.

Fat Angry Motorist

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2017, 10:37:53 AM
I didn't see the evening show but the pundits on the afternoon show most definitely commented on the Cavanagh assault.

At the time I thought it was a late, reckless, dangerous challenge and well inside the red card territory but I don't agree with attributing intent or deliberation to Colm C's action, as Colm O'Rourke did.

Seriously?  You don't accidentally go in late with the studs showing, stomach high.  Shocking incident, deliberate attempt to injure the Dub player well deserving of a ban.
Give cyclists plenty of room.  It's the rules I tells ya!

Main Street

Then you're a mind reader.
Afaia, Colm Cavanagh is a tough combative player but never a scúmbag, so he has my benefit of the doubt.

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: Main Street on August 28, 2017, 12:21:54 PM
Afaia, Colm Cavanagh is a tough combative player but never a scúmbag, so he has my benefit of the doubt.

You need to look again at the tackle and the level of frustration being experienced by a player not just with the way the game was going but with the failure of his colleagues to play with an equal level of intensity.

BennyCake

Whether CC is normally a dirty player or not, it's a red card all day long.

yellowcard

It was about as blatant a red card as you're likely to see. The 'he's not that type of player' is no defence against the incident.

macdanger2

Decent bit of analysis on TSG last night actually, fair enough it wasn't rocket science but it's better than just whinging about how rubbish games are