The Sunday Game

Started by Jinxy, May 11, 2008, 10:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 19, 2017, 04:59:10 PM
Just watched the game (RTE version). Jez, Dessie Dolan just says little or nothing. Feck me! He goes silent when there is something controversial happening.

I loved his line in the commentary about it being the two teams you want in the final, basically saying thank fûck no outsider made it. This being West-fecking-Meath's most decorated player..

Orchard park

was it not the 2 teams most wanted to see based on a replay last year..........he's not breaking any moulds but in fairness he stated the obvious there, most neutrals once their own are gone want either a dublin mayo or dublin kerry final whether that suits you or not

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GalwayBayBoy

Just watched the game (RTE version). Jez, Dessie Dolan just says little or nothing. Feck me! He goes silent when there is something controversial happening.

He's pretty bad at the co-commentary gig alright. Michael Duignan in the hurling realises he's there to point out all the things that may not be apparent if you are sitting home watching the game. So he tells you from the throw in who's picking up who or what switches have been made. Dessie just describes what he's seen on the replay. Money for jam in fairness.

seafoid

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 19, 2017, 07:12:03 PM

He's pretty bad at the co-commentary gig alright. Michael Duignan in the hurling realises he's there to point out all the things that may not be apparent if you are sitting home watching the game. So he tells you from the throw in who's picking up who or what switches have been made. Dessie just describes what he's seen on the replay. Money for jam in fairness.
I think Duignan is excellent. It is as if muintir na h-h-iománaíochta demand much higher quality. Apart from Ger lock, obviously.  Ger lock told the media after Galway got the KK afterburners in 2007 that the match would win the all Ireland for Kilkenny. That was not Gerlock''s job.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: Orchard park on September 19, 2017, 05:42:45 PM
was it not the 2 teams most wanted to see based on a replay last year..........he's not breaking any moulds but in fairness he stated the obvious there, most neutrals once their own are gone want either a dublin mayo or dublin kerry final whether that suits you or not

AOF said the same. Everybody wants to see the 2 best teams in the final. Why?

Ok so Dublin and Mayo are the top two teams. Do I want to see them in the final year after year? I don't think so! It's disrespectful to 20-odd counties, more or less, we don't want you near the final cos you're all shite.

I'd have been happy watching Louth v Fermanagh in an AI final. The AI final is a great occasion no matter what teams are there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: BennyCake on September 19, 2017, 07:24:41 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 19, 2017, 05:42:45 PM

AOF said the same. Everybody wants to see the 2 best teams in the final. Why?

Ok so Dublin and Mayo are the top two teams. Do I want to see them in the final year after year? I don't think so! It's disrespectful to 20-odd counties, more or less, we don't want you near the final cos you're all shite.

I'd have been happy watching Louth v Fermanagh in an AI final. The AI final is a great occasion no matter what teams are there.

I'd be happy if I saw Dublin and/or Kerry in a final once every 5 or 6 years at most. I don't ever want to see Mayo again unless they win the fecking thing!

Esmarelda

Quote from: Syferus on September 19, 2017, 05:18:26 PM

I loved his line in the commentary about it being the two teams you want in the final, basically saying thank fûck no outsider made it. This being West-fecking-Meath's most decorated player..
He didn't basically say anything of the sort. You interpreted, or decided to interpret it that way.

My guess is that he thinks they're the two most entertaining teams in Ireland and would be most likely to provide the best entertainment. I agree with him.

Next complaint.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: Esmarelda on September 19, 2017, 08:22:49 PM

He didn't basically say anything of the sort. You interpreted, or decided to interpret it that way.

My guess is that he thinks they're the two most entertaining teams in Ireland and would be most likely to provide the best entertainment. I agree with him.

Next complaint.
Viewing figures seem to bear that out with an average of 1.1million viewers watching throughout with a peak of 1.3 million for Dean Rocks final free. That's entertainment.

Syferus

Next complaint.

Only on this forum could someone even attempt to pull you up on the blindingly obvious connotation of what Dessie said.

'Next'.

Gaffer

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 19, 2017, 10:09:09 PM

Next complaint.
Viewing figures seem to bear that out with an average of 1.1million viewers watching throughout with a peak of 1.3 million for Dean Rocks final free. That's entertainment.

1.3 milion of the population were watching the final free.

WTF were the other 4 million watching?  Wasnt Sky anyway
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

Main Street

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 19, 2017, 10:09:09 PM

Next complaint.
Sky viewing figures might hit 10,000 on average over the whole game, but if Croke Park standards are used (at least one millisecond viewing time whilst channel hopping), then the figures might hit 40,000  ;D
I wonder what the viewing figures were with all those Irish viewers who have a paid up sky subscription? I'd hazard a guess that the greater majority of them chose to watch the game on RTE and leave the  coverage by Sky TV3 incarnation well alone.

There is no length to the deception offered to disguise the utter banality of Sky's "extra"contribution to the state of the game, whether it be deliberate lies about  the called extra exposure, extra income, extra quality over and above what tv3 offered.

yellowcard

Yet again hurling gets top billing on the highlights show.

OgraAnDun

It's about time there's were separate hurling and football shows. 90 mins isn't really enough time for one code, let alone the two.