Computer Help

Started by Armagh CĂșchulainns, January 11, 2009, 01:20:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

I'm getting my cracked 11-6 inch laptop screen replaced/fixed tomorrow for 90 euro. Is that the standard price for such a repair job?

BenDover

Quote from: The Iceman on August 01, 2017, 01:09:56 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 30, 2017, 12:20:38 PM
On a website that has disable rightmouse, and highlight/copy, is there a way to get a copy of images or the page text by inspecting the source code in the browser?
I would use a "snipper" tool for the pictures. Not sure how you would capture the text other than in an image...
Use IE to open the page: View > Source

Boycey

Can anyone suggest to me what might be interfering with my WiFi signal? I've had 3 different modems off Vodafone so it's not that. Wired devices work fine but at random times and for prolonged periods any WiFi devices either are crippled by ridiculously low speed or can't connect to the network at all. I can connect to multiple neighbouring businesses WiFi so what ever the interference is it's not affecting that...

It's driving me bonkers, we're a small business and let our customers connect their devices for browsing/social media..

armaghniac

Quote from: Boycey on October 24, 2017, 06:47:10 PM
Can anyone suggest to me what might be interfering with my WiFi signal? I've had 3 different modems off Vodafone so it's not that. Wired devices work fine but at random times and for prolonged periods any WiFi devices either are crippled by ridiculously low speed or can't connect to the network at all. I can connect to multiple neighbouring businesses WiFi so what ever the interference is it's not affecting that...

It's driving me bonkers, we're a small business and let our customers connect their devices for browsing/social media..

Some of these neighbouring routers may be misconfigured.

There are some wifi apps for phones that show the strength of the signals and the bands used.
2.4Mhz wifi has different  channels, a simple measure is to move yours to the least crowded end of the band, e.g. if it is 1 then used, then check it using 6 or 11. Some modems will pick a less crowded channel when setting up.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Sandino

Lads can anyone suggest a good free program to convert pdf files to a word document on a Mac? Thanks
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Boycey

Quote from: armaghniac on October 24, 2017, 07:16:47 PM

There are some wifi apps for phones that show the strength of the signals and the bands used.
2.4Mhz wifi has different  channels, a simple measure is to move yours to the least crowded end of the band, e.g. if it is 1 then used, then check it using 6 or 11. Some modems will pick a less crowded channel when setting up.

Thanks for taking time to answer, I have tried different channels to little or no improvement unfortunately. There are loads of electronic machines where I work but none that weren't there long before this problem arose  :-\ it's a real head scratcher.

Itchy

Quote from: Boycey on October 24, 2017, 08:12:38 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on October 24, 2017, 07:16:47 PM

Thanks for taking time to answer, I have tried different channels to little or no improvement unfortunately. There are loads of electronic machines where I work but none that weren't there long before this problem arose  :-\ it's a real head scratcher.

Boycey - the routers supplied by ISPs are total shite. They slow down wireless, struggle to get through walls and often drop signal when too many devices are connected. If you are a business I recommend you buy a new 3rd party modem such as

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-Asus-Dsl-Ac88u-Ac3100-1000-2167-Wireless-Dual-Band-Gb-Vdsl2-Adsl2-Modem-Ro/401427492943?hash=item5d76f1704f:g:SrQAAOSwAHBZ6nqs

Yes they are expensive but that's for a reason. You simply use a cat 5 cable into your vodafone modem and into this new one. Log into Vodafone modem and disable wireless and use the new modem for all connections. Alternatively someone from Vodafone might talk you through setting up the new modem for their service and you can bin the original one.

armaghniac

On the previous point you can have a modem providing wireless or just a wireless hub connected by an ethernet cable. There isn't much pooint buying a modem only to use it as wireless hub.

It might be worth checking the Vodafone and Wireless forums on boards.ie

take_yer_points

Anyone know where you could pick up a dodgy copy of MS Word? Asking for a mate  :P

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: take_yer_points on November 09, 2017, 03:31:29 PM
Anyone know where you could pick up a dodgy copy of MS Word? Asking for a mate  :P

Do you really need ms word.  I use Open Office (open source and can download fully legally for free).  It is as fully featured as ms word and you can still save the files in doc and docx formats.

http://www.openoffice.org
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

armaghniac

Openoffice or Libreoffice do the job in most cases, unless you are using advanced features of Word, which most people are not.

take_yer_points

Perfect lads, that'll do the job alright. Thanks very much

Syferus

https://theproxybay.me/torrent/14925388/Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_ProPlus_English_(x86-x64)_June_2016

Just follow the instructions.

I'm sorry, but Open Office and LibreOffice should only be used if you're in a business not willing to pay for a key, or if you have some serious moral issue with using a cracked piece of software.

And if you want to go legit - https://uk.scdkey.com/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-cd-key_1348-20.html

Frank_The_Tank

Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 01:24:06 PM
https://theproxybay.me/torrent/14925388/Microsoft_Office_2016_VL_ProPlus_English_(x86-x64)_June_2016

I'm sorry, but Open Office and LibreOffice should only be used if you're in a business not willing to pay for a key, or if you have some serious moral issue with using a cracked piece of software.

And if you want to go legit - https://uk.scdkey.com/microsoft-office-home-student-2016-cd-key_1348-20.html

why - what functionality do they not offer that a cracked version of ms word has?
Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience

Syferus

Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on November 10, 2017, 02:13:45 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 10, 2017, 01:24:06 PM

why - what functionality do they not offer that a cracked version of ms word has?

You're opting for sub-standard software. They're competing against a mega corporation who have developed Office over three decades with every advantage that belies. Ultimately there's MS Office and then everything else when it comes to productivity apps - you're better off learning the one used in offices, businesses and schools up and down the country too.