Arlene's bigotry shines through

Started by StGallsGAA, February 14, 2018, 01:13:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orchard park

when one hears the bluest of blueshirts Coveney basically saying SF had delivered a working deal it really sums up how dysfunctional the DUP are

TabClear

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 15, 2018, 11:00:27 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/15/dup-responsibility-government-northern-ireland

DUP getting hammered in the English press

Gregory the bollox was on Radio Ulster earlier.  He is a hateful hoor of a man but he generally comes across as pretty articulate despite the bile he is normal spouting. HOwever, I thought he definitely seemed more defensive and rattled today.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: stew on February 15, 2018, 09:59:36 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 09:53:25 AM
to be honest I'm caring less and less about the north

its funny a load of people getting worked up about a dying language that most people cannot speak or understand

Whats funny is a fool who thinks his countrys Language is dying when in fact it is thriving, the Irish language will not die, it will continue to grow despite the apathy of west brits and unionists/loyalists.

I for one dont give a damn what you think of the north of Ireland, K?
touchy touchy

I teach Irish, I'm a fluent speaker and I can see it dying before my eyes in the likes of connemara, mayo, kerry gaeltachts

the gaelscoil movement is a giant fallacy
majority of kids who go to gaelscoils have no meanscoil to attend afterwards - complete waste
the literacy standards of children coming out of primary gaelscoils is significantly lower than English medium achools

then there is nowhere to actually use the language. where can you use it?

the main reason ye seem to be mad into it up north is because it makes ye different to the other crowd

haranguerer

One wonders why you waste your time teaching it if you believe its a complete waste - sounds like a good way to spend the majority of your waking hours

Rois

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 02:16:17 PM
the literacy standards of children coming out of primary gaelscoils is significantly lower than English medium achools

My sister teaches English in one of the top (east Belfast) grammar schools in the north, and said that whilst that may have been true in the past, she now sees negligible difference.
(Big caveat is that they only take top performers, so the population is skewed)

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: stew on February 15, 2018, 09:59:36 AM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on February 15, 2018, 09:53:25 AM
to be honest I'm caring less and less about the north

its funny a load of people getting worked up about a dying language that most people cannot speak or understand

Whats funny is a fool who thinks his countrys Language is dying when in fact it is thriving, the Irish language will not die, it will continue to grow despite the apathy of west brits and unionists/loyalists.

I for one dont give a damn what you think of the north of Ireland, K?
touchy touchy

I teach Irish, I'm a fluent speaker and I can see it dying before my eyes in the likes of connemara, mayo, kerry gaeltachts

the gaelscoil movement is a giant fallacy
majority of kids who go to gaelscoils have no meanscoil to attend afterwards - complete waste

then there is nowhere to actually use the language. where can you use it?

the main reason ye seem to be mad into it up north is because it makes ye different to the other crowd

Sounds like your real gripe is the Irish Language is losing interest in the south. If it's not the case up here that's because we hate the other ones. Wow you would fit right in up here with a chip on you like that. Maybe your boring the S..t out of them
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: haranguerer on February 15, 2018, 02:19:32 PM
One wonders why you waste your time teaching it if you believe its a complete waste - sounds like a good way to spend the majority of your waking hours
as a primary teacher I have to teach Irish
kids and parents care less and less about the language every year

the gaelscoils in many towns down here would in theory be taking in the 'cream' of middle class families so it is then worrying when their literacy scores are below average (though this info is not released to the public)
children basically have to relearn all vocab and terms in every SESE subject, maths, music

smelmoth

Quote from: Avondhu star on February 15, 2018, 11:04:53 AM
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/feb/15/dup-responsibility-government-northern-ireland

Do they realise that no one on the "mainland"  gives a shite about them?

The majority of them do. The majority of unionist politicians do. But there is a powerful minority of voters that believe that they are as British as Finchley ( which they are) and that the people of Finchley care a jot about them (which they don't)

armaghniac

Quote from: smelmoth on February 15, 2018, 02:49:22 PM
The majority of them do. The majority of unionist politicians do. But there is a powerful minority of voters that believe that they are as British as Finchley ( which they are) and that the people of Finchley care a jot about them (which they don't)

Finchley is actually in Britain, its people are intrinsically British and so the people in NI are not British in that way, however much they try to convince themselves.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

general_lee

Quote from: Rois on February 15, 2018, 02:27:08 PM

My sister teaches English in one of the top (east Belfast) grammar schools in the north, and said that whilst that may have been true in the past, she now sees negligible difference.
(Big caveat is that they only take top performers, so the population is skewed)
My experience of children taught through Irish medium is that they have a GCSE and A level by their 3rd year in secondary school

lurganblue

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: armaghniac on February 15, 2018, 02:58:53 PM
Quote from: smelmoth on February 15, 2018, 02:49:22 PM

Finchley is actually in Britain, its people are intrinsically British and so the people in NI are not British in that way, however much they try to convince themselves.

Correct the north of Ireland is not Part of GB

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: lurganblue on February 15, 2018, 03:15:38 PM
Quote from: ashman on February 15, 2018, 11:10:53 AM

The guardian !!!!

"...the quiet truth about Northern Ireland. It is a place where most people identify as neither unionist nor nationalist."

Bullsh*t

Yeah some of it way off the mark in fairness

Rois

Quote from: hardstation on February 15, 2018, 03:19:17 PM

Rois, would your sister's school get many pupils from Irish medium primary schools? English doesn't seem to cause problems the same way maths does, certainly not initially. Pupils tend to find the terminology for maths difficult to learn, having never heard the word isosceles etc before.

Can understand that re: maths.  Not sure of the numbers these days and perhaps the growth and bedding in of the meanscoil in Belfast over the last couple of decades has meant fewer now attend, but she has certainly had a stream of such pupils over the years (she has been in OLSPK for 20 yrs now, give or take a maternity leave or 3).  We have had a number of discussions on this at different times (and not just about Irish speakers, but other bilingual students).